Failed to initialize graphics device

Anyone else unable to play since the latest patch due to this issue? I’ve never had a problem until now, drivers are updated. Tried running from .exe, tried compatibility. Short of reinstalling my whole system I’m not sure what to do…

Have You checked if all of VC++ libraries are installed in their latest versions?

this can be a tough one if done by hand with files from M$.
I recommend gettig latest VC++ Runtime All in One from techpowerup.
Just download, unpack, enter run install.bat as administrator and proceed with the semi-automatic installation. just be sure to click yes everytime.

(as of note. to check what VC++ you have go to control panel>programs and features. and check what you have. D2R relies on the 2015-2017-2019-2022 VC++ library. so make sure that’s up to date. latest update is from Feb 2023.

That didn’t work. When I go to graphic settings both options are only for my on board video. Its kinda like its not picking up my video card since the update.

after 22h2 windows update there’s an additional setting in windows to control which GPU system chooses from.

go to settings ( start and the cogwheel), click system, make sure you’re on display tab, and scrol all the way down to where it says “graphic settings”. Click where it says graphic settings.
next
set classic application, and search for both D2R.exe and D2R Launcher.exe
add each one at a time.
next
they’ll showup below the search button click on one of the bars with either D2R.exe or D2R Launcher.exe and click on a “Options” button beneath that pops up after You’ve clicked on the bar.
Next:
You’ll have 3 options

1. Let Windows Choose optimum performance
  2. Energy Saving ( it’ll display integrated graphics beneath)
  3. Optimum Efficiency mode ( it will display strongest GPU available - in your case a dedicatd card if there is any).

choose Optimum Efficiency mode, and click “Save”

after this, windows will try to use your dedicated GPU to launch D2R.

One more thing… If You have an Nvidia dedicated GPU, there’s an additional application to also set this in Control Panel, however I don’t have an Nvidoa card at hand, SO I can’t guide you step by step in this one (You’d have to do a google search in such case).

Oh and sorry for such a long answer time… benn having trouble with myself…

Oh yeah try to be open minded with the description I don’t have English set as my system language, so your experience may varray

i have the same problem, 1 week ago my laptop dead, so i need to replace the ssd and ram part . after i re install my window and all it driver i try to launch d2r but it keep saying i need to update my intel graphic driver then there is the loading sound of blizard theme then crash it back to window with error comment
C0AF071E-737B-40D5-BEC7-920C1C8F1C27

then either do as I described in my previous post and set in windows so that D2R.exe is told to specifically use dedicated graphic card ( optimum efficiency mode), or update all the graphic drivers and install all other nessecary stuff such as VC++ libraries ( as they don’t come in windows update packages, and neither does battlenet app install them).

VC++ libraries are nessecary for any application made or related to M$ Visual Studio, an series of M$ software development kit. they are nessecary in order to run any program made by a given version of Visual Studio be it 2005 2008 2010 2012 2013 2015 2017 2019 or 2022, and they all come in both x86 and x64 versions, so you need to have all of them to be sure all games can run on your windows.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.