Extremely high CPU usage

So, I run every other game fine, but for some reason d2r has me at 75%+ CPU usage, and no-one else that I know has this issue. I’ve tried every fix I can think of, including re-installing onto another SSD to see if that would fix it for some reason. Any ideas on how to fix this? I’ve got an i5-4690k.

Thanks

1 Like

Disable the environment effects like grass swaying.

I don’t see any way to disable this at all, just lower it. And i’ve tried the game on every setting at low with no change.

1 Like

Disable the environment effects like grass swaying.

all of our answers have been solved guys !!!

there is no option to fix that, he’s jsut belly hopping

Yes, they have, since that was and remains the suggestion for complaints related to heat and CPU throttling. If it does not work, amazing.

I am not going to troubleshoot your moo pie.

why don’t you be more specific on how to get to that setting instead of being a pissy boy

yes my computer over heats too, i think all of ours does.

Crazy enough, I didn’t ever ask YOU to troubleshoot anything.

What is there to fix? Why do you people fear to actually use the system you paid for. As long as your cooling is adequate, your CPU will be able to run at 100% for extended periods. After all, why pay for a good CPU if you’re not willing to use it? So 75% usage is nothing.

I feel like you may fail to understand that I’m asking if this is normal, and if there is a way to reduce it. Running at 75-100% will cause more long term damage than finding a way to reduce it to 50%. Also there shouldn’t be any reason a remastered version of a 20 year old game uses 100% of my CPU and 1% of my GPU besides bad optimization. I’m just checking to see any work arounds, not asking the overlord Timberwolf or Deadlymouse to swoop in, fix my issues, and save the day.

1 Like

And on what basis are you making that assertion? The graphics have been updated, which puts a higher load on the computer. FWIW, my system runs at about 50% CPU and 100% GPU, with temps around 60C, and it’s been stable. Nearly all options set to max or close to it.

I can run newer more intensive games at half or less of the stress this game is putting on my PC, with the same settings. It’s poorly optimized, and i’m not sure why you can’t admit that lol

1 Like

Yes the game is poorly optimized. Meanwhile you can reduce all video settings to low, game won’t look much different but heat and crashes will go down significantly.

I’ve tried every setting, there’s maybe 3% difference between Ultra and low settings.

Constant or ocasionally? Because usage spikes are normal when you are loading new maps or creating games. Same goes for disk usage.

While your cpu isn’t exactly near the recommeded requirements, meaning you’re closer to minimum side. If your usage only drops 3% swapping settings. Do you mind to tell how much fps you’re getting? If you don’t know how to get the info, type in game chat: /fps

Try perform tests after getting the value by limiting at: 30 fps and 60fps.

Your high cpu usage, most likely, are related about the number of frames you’re targeting. If the usage drops a decent amount at 30fps, means your bottleneck is cpu. So your goal would focus on a fps that you think is comfortable for you to use your cpu.

Also, keep in mind like others stated. Unless your cpu is overheating, having 0% or 100% doesn’t represent any damage to cpu. An cpu can have 100% usage waiting for a disk operation or processing something or doing a demanding task. Same goes for lower percentiles, several tasks can represent different load and impacts on cpu performance.

While the game itself isn’t well optimized. Having above 75% isn’t exactly bad, in fact means you’re using your hardware in a efficient way, not leaving performance on the table or just using a badly dimensioned hardware for the task. The only real issue is that if the system itself runs hot or overheat, because you could experience throttle.

It’s constant high usage while 100% while loading, which doesn’t bug me, 100% while loading doesnt affect you playing the game. I have my fps limited now at 60, had it at 144fps since ive got a 144hz monitor, never had issues meeting that, just felt like lowering the games requirements would make it feel smoother. I’ve got 2 SSD’s, I’ve reinstalled back and forth hoping for better results each time to no avail. The only reason the high usage bothers me is it affects other things, such as spotify or discord, I can no longer hear my music or friends for 5-10 seconds while my map loads due to my processor hitting 100% and throttling.

Long story short i don’t have issues running any fps or setting, no setting is changing the CPU usage, and it causes issues with Discord and other programs i’m using which isn’t a make or break, just really annoying.

Well, if your settings didn’t changed much the number fps but slightly reduced the cpu usage. Showed signals of cpu bottleneck, your spotify and discord having issues and your cpu throttling, means either thermal or you were trying to push too much fps to your cpu handle it.

Considering that your cpu is a 4 core-cpu and 4 threads, without hyperthreading. You would be constrained on intensive cpu tasks when you multitask. That would perform similar to i3-3250 which has 2 cores but 4 threads, having hyperthreading each core has 2 threads.

That would put you on near of bare minimum requirements, only clock and maybe some architecture improvements which often were barely 5-15% at best on those intel chips. Those minimum requirements often are about 720p at 30fps, but maybe you got more because your gpu increased the resolution and your cpu compensated a bit because is slightly faster than their minimum.

When you used 144fps, which shows that d2r isn’t exactly cpu bound software but still requires a bit of power from cpu. I tested on beta on Fx-8350 which reached around 200fps at 1080p(cpu bound scenario) with about 60-70% usage and about 60fps at 4k with around 20-30% cpu usage(gpu bound scenario). Meaning that most likely the sweet spot would be 6-8 threads on high framerates. While currently the r7 5800x uses like 7% running about 60 fps and about 15% at 200fps.

Most likely you have a powerful gpu but not powerful cpu to target 144hz monitor, the more regular games coming for newer consoles, most likely the same pattern will happen more often than not.

As general rule, more resolution less likely to have cpu bottleneck. While with more framerates means more cpu bottlenecks on lower resolutions, while on higher ones you would bottleneck your gpu before even bottlenecks your cpu.

Maybe you could set one core for discord and spotify and allocate 3 cores for d2r and see how would perform. Because you have a k variant maybe your clocks could compensate the 1 fewer core and give you something around 90fps, still I would recommend something around 60fps our your case about 72fps(matching 1/2 of your monitor hz).

When you said throttles back, means you are reaching throttling temp or their peak voltage, which would mean unstable clocks or configuration not well done in that regard.

I hope you can have a better experience with the tip, these days folks often do multitasking while they play, while on the older days often folks would only do one task while they play.

Sitting on a i9 144hz wqhd and always 100% cpu usage. Trust me this game is just bad. I can run all games on extreme settings with 144fps capped. But this game without overheating my cpu which is also watercooled.

Glad im not the only one. The couple people i know that play have 0 issues. Not sure what’s going on