__Duping__ in D2R

I think we can all agree, duping is the worst issue there ever was in Diablo 2 online experience.
The impact on this was so massiv, that a million dollar industrie grew around this because items could be sold for actual money.

I’m wondering if this is to be address in any form or shape for re-design, and if so, in which way?
I couldn’t believe that this topic is not being on number 1, 2 and 3 of any priority list when doing a re-master of this game, but I didn’t hear alot about it so far. All I know is that we are told about “battle.net 2.0”, whatever that means.

It sounds like its just better servers with a stronger infrastructure, but in order to fight duping in core, you need to fiddle around the network and database code, which shouldn’t be rocket science to be honest.

In other words: If duping will still be a thing in Diablo 2: resurrected, I’m calling the dev team (and the company) out to be involved into a criminal doings.
There is literally no way, any development team could achieve the level of incompetence, not to fix this. Duping of items should be the most simplistic of all tasks.

  • FIX the bugs and glitches, which actually create a duplicate item
  • Create unique identifiers for each and every item and store in a global database
  • Create a history for runes, where the identifiers of the original used runes are stored, when runes are cubed up

Done. Even if you are incapable or unwilling to go after the original bugs and errors, just by storing all those id’s and keep track of cubed origins, makes it IMPOSSIBLE to dupe or dupe+cube items ever again.

Again, if this issue does not get fixed, it’s captain obvious what is going on and who is going to profit the most.

Are your interest in cheating and its effect a result of a competitive nature, or a jealous nature? Or is there some other complex emotion at works that I’ve failed to deduce? I’m honestly curious to figure out what drives people to claim that it matters.

In the quiet words of the virgin mary: come again please?
You are seriously asking, why it matters?

Yes. Because it doesn’t affect your gaming experience. It’s Diablo 2, not Counter-Strike. You’re not fighting anyone to the death. You’re not in a race. You’re on one side of the fence, and they’re on the other. It doesn’t matter. So, what’s going on? It’s not just you, it’s everyone. What are you seeing that I don’t?

Alot of lazy players think botting and duping is ok. Case in point the poster above.

For some reason (just like in life) they are too lazy to earn any achievements with hard work.

FYI its not jealousy it takes 2 brain cells to set up a bot in old d2.

I’m not saying it’s ok. I’m not saying it’s not ok. I’m curious about your hysteria.

Buddy you are aware that Diablo 2 is a competitive game a huge majority of players, no?
Either if its the ladder, pvp’s or just about general progress. The amount of unfair advantages, when there are duped items to be available is just outrages.

you really don’t see why?
should be logical for anyone though.
Duping and cheating and botting destroy any kind of economy , market , pvp competition , lv up competition and so on the game has.
any dupers/cheaters/botters/credit card warrior shouldn’t be called a D2 player in the first place.
so indeed it does matters , maybe not in offline single player , but on battle.net it does.

So it’s competitiveness?

Ladder was always pointless in D2, and PVP was more of a thing that some people did on the side, where they had to make up their own rules, i.e. 2v2, in which cheating might as well be considered one of them, like exploiting the terrain.

I guess I just don’t see the point of caring what other people do, or being outraged by it.

Anyways, a GUID is rather taxing on the server to cast and network to transfer. I think you would see a lot more rubber-banding after a while as a result of it. A seed definitely wouldn’t work as two items can exist with the same stats, though rare it may be.

I’d say it depends on the player. Though I’m sure it’d fall into the competitive bucket for many, for me, it’s due to experiencing the game how it was meant to be experienced.

One of my favorite aspects of D2 was the in-game trading economy. The thrill of finding and making a good trade was one of the most addictive aspects for me. As soon as everything got duped though, it fundamentally changed how in-game trading works. A duped economy results in it being foolish to trade for completed runewords for fear they might poof, gg items trade for 40+ HRs, HR X is the same value as HR Y because they’re all duped, etc.

Without duping, on the other hand, an Ohm rune does not equal a Ber rune, if you want to trade for a perfect, 40-res hoto, you can do so without worrying it’ll disappear on you, one item won’t net you an account full of HRs, and you don’t have to “perm” your mule character after every game.

All in all, duping ruins the in-game economy by bloating the supply of HRs thereby making it too easy (for the entire player base) to gear out their characters. As a result, the grind portion of each ladder is far shorter than it’d otherwise be, leading to less playtime and less enjoyment.

Well, what you are subjectively judging or believe is pretty much pointless.

As a matter of fact, there is a market place for items in diablo 2, which is still here for over 20 years. So it cannot be really “pointless” for a vast majority of players, otherwise, there wouldn’t be any black market selling items to this date.

I really don’t think there is any argument against preventing duping items at all costs.

Of course it does! When dupers flood the market it ruins the D2 end game.

you’re wrong on this one superchief, duping effects everyone who plays multiplayer. and it is a problem.

I fully agree that duping bugs should be fixed, though for another reason. As a casual player, I was never really competing in the “end game” for the perfect loot. I just want to have a good time playing the game. I couldn’t care less about bots and other people cheating, as long as it does not affect me.

However, what I do care about is duping bugs that use lags, de-synchs and game server crashes to exploit. These ruin the experience for everyone on the same server. Getting killed by these off-screen monsters ain’t fun.

Duping needs to be addressed because it nukes the player driven economy, be it ladder or non-ladder.

Why in the world are we analyzing this beyond this basic fact? There’s literally no more to it, lol.

I couldn’t agree more.
But nobody ever addressed this issue on official sides. Almost looks like they either want this to continue or ignore it.

Well, the reason for the silence is actually pretty sweet and simple. They don’t want to reveal what they’re doing or how they’re doing it to keep dupes out. The more guesswork a cheater has to do to get their job done, the less likely it’ll happen or longer it’ll take.

I don’t expect duping to be a huge issue in D2R, but Botting is gonna be a plague.

To be honest I kinda liked bots. I always loved gettin’ carried by hammer bot baal runs. They were so stream line and efficient and all of their automated messages were kinda cute Lol.

This is more of a projection than anything. It doesn’t seem to matter to your experience and how you seem to play the game but does greatly affect the trading aspect of the game which was big for a lot of players.

Duping is one of the easier ones to squash but I do think there will be one or two ways at launch which is why non ladder having ladder items is a concern. You can have a completely destroyed economy at the start.

What would be the point of playing a game about loot and finding loot when you can bypass that process and dupe your way to the end right away… why play that way unless all you want to do is look strong and accomplished with little to no work. That seems more vain than wanting to feel that way by actually finding the items.

Random tangent.