Druid - Tornado direction bug

This season I made Druid Tornado.
It was fun in the beginning, but afterwards this Tornado´s direction when casting, is not just zigzag one way, it is way buggy.
I manage to recreate the issue & I added the description of how to recreate the problem under “Bug Report”.
It seems like others do have issues with the Tornado skill.

My question to the community is…have you found a trigger point, where the casting of the Tornado really sets off in a totally different direction, then the direction you are facing.

If yes? do share how to recreate the problem.

Thank you for reading this.

It’s not technically a bug because the skill was designed that way. Someone else with more experience with the Wind Druid may be able to help more with aiming here, but I find it’s better if you aim behind the mobs instead of right on them.

The normal way to play tornado is to telestomp. The Wind Druid is an up-close fighter. In close range, it will hit, not matter what the graphics show. There’s an area damage applied in front of you when you cast tornado. You have cyclone armor and hurricane to keep you safe.

I dont believe when you say “it was designed that way”, therefore I disagree with you.
When it comes to “Aiming behind the mobs” & “In close range, it will hit, not matter what the graphics show.”
That part was tested before I made the bug report & when you do click on the trigger point when aiming behind the enemy or from close range where you face the enemy frontal, the Tornado goes left. So I disagree with you on “Aiming behind the mobs” & “In close range, it will hit, not matter what the graphics show.”

Good place to test the Tornado Skill “In close range” is on act 5, the “Barricaded Towers”. It is not easy to find the trigger point, but it is there. When you do find the trigger point, the Tornado will go left & will not make any damage on the Barricaded tower while you are in close range, while your Druid is facing the Barricaded tower frontal.

Tornado was designed to take a “random“ path. From memory there are actually only 8 different paths. The path it takes depends on where you click your mouse in relation to your character. It has been like this since the Druid was introduced in LoD.

Casting horizontally from your character on the screen will make it go the straightest. Casting vertically from your character is the least accurate.

Standing still and holding down your mouse on the same point will make them all take the same path. If it’s not going where you want, then move the mouse a bit.

The most reliable damage comes from being right on top of the enemy. The periodic damage is what always hits. With the next-hit-delay changes in D2R, it can hit as fast as you can cast.

From Maxroll:

  • Fires a single Size 3 tornado missile which deals Physical Damage on impact, and periodically in a 2 yard radius around the missile.

  • The tornado moves in a randomized route in the direction of the cursor, but if cast continuously, the missile follows the same route until the cursor’s position changes.

  • Tornados travel for 3 seconds and apply their periodic damage immediately, and then every 15 frames after.

    • Collision damage has Last Collide and Next Hit Delay of 25 frames. In most scenarios, a tornado will only apply collision damage once per cast.

    • Periodic damage from multiple tornados can be applied simultaneously.

  • Collision damage can be blocked, but periodic damage cannot be.

From Amazon Basin:

  • Tornadoes follow a random path in the general direction of the point targeted, although when cast continuously they’ll follow the same path each time if the point targeted doesn’t change.

  • Due to next delay collision damage is only applied at a maximum rate of once every 26 frames. Tornadoes also have Last Collide enabled, so each tornado normally only applies collision damage once to a single target.

  • A single tornado lasts for 75 frames (3 seconds) and applies periodic damage within radius in its first frame and every 15 frames thereafter, so each applies periodic damage 5 times before expiring.

  • Periodic damage can be applied to the same target by multiple tornadoes, so Faster Cast Rate will increase damage rate by increasing the frequency of tornadoes cast.

  • While collision damage can be blocked, periodic damage cannot.

It maybe was design to take a “Random” path, but it does not take a random path.
It goes straight forward or left when the Druid is facing the minion/tower. It NEVER goes right.
So I still disagree with you.

You also mention this —> “Standing still and holding down your mouse on the same point will make them all take the same path. If it’s not going where you want, then move the mouse a bit.”
That is a good way to find the trigger point for the direction issue when facing the enemy/tower & standing still.

I put “random“ in quotes, implying that it wasn’t entirely random. My very next sentence was:

“From memory there are actually only 8 different paths.”

“Random” in this case actually means that it doesn’t go where you click, and tries to look random in the way that it moves. I explained this in my post, along with references and advice on how to get it to where you want.

As you obviously just want to complain and don’t want help, I’ll be leaving this alone now.

Have fun with your Wind Druid. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not here to complain, it is YOU who is being manipulative & not helping.

I know what you are trying to tell with “Random” in quotes, I understand that.
I dont care about “memory different paths”, I care about the graphically path which is clearly acting weird when the trigger point has been found.
Your explanation about “Random” doesnt make sense, as I explained before “Tornado goes straight forward or left, NEVER Right”, so your “random” answer is irrelevant to me.

You DIDNT pay attention to my question when I created this topic, which is ----->
“My question to the community is…have you found a trigger point, where the casting of the Tornado really sets off in a totally different direction, then the direction you are facing.
If yes? do share how to recreate the problem.”
Your answer is actually “No” so the help you are trying to give me, is no help.
If you REALLY want to help me, try to find the trigger point & comeback OR we can team up, so I can show you the problem.

Have fun with your Wind Druid. :slight_smile:

OK, I think we’re having a misunderstanding because of language. In English, words in quotes can mean that they are not true. So “random“ means that it is trying for the appearance of random but it’s not really random. I know that in some Asian countries quotes are used for emphasis instead, so that may have lead to confusion.

When you kept saying “I don’t believe you”, it came across as aggressive, but that may not have been your intent.

I’ll try to explain more clearly.

When the game was originally created more than 20 years ago, they wanted the wind skills to go in different directions that looked random.

They didn’t make it actually random.

What they made was only 8 different paths that a tornado can take, and the game chooses which one based on where the player clicks in relation to the character.

If the character is still, and the player clicks the same place, the tornado will always follow that same path.

If the player clicks directly left or right of the character, then it will go straight. Otherwise it will take one of the other paths that are much less straight.

When the character is running around and faces monsters in all directions, this makes it hard to aim across the screen. Most players choose to play with the character very close to the monsters so that they don’t have to deal with the weird aiming, and because the DPS is higher.

I hope this makes it clearer. The tornados can be a bit annoying, but it’s how they wanted it to be, and it can still be fun. If you’ are having issues, I would suggest trying to play in close. :slightly_smiling_face:

I dont think we are misunderstanding anything because of the language, I am not from Asia.

All of this of what you said ---->
“When you kept saying “I don’t believe you”, it came across as aggressive, but that may not have been your intent.
I’ll try to explain more clearly.
When the game was originally created more than 20 years ago, they wanted the wind skills to go in different directions that looked random.
They didn’t make it actually random.
What they made was only 8 different paths that a tornado can take, and the game chooses which one based on where the player clicks in relation to the character.
If the character is still, and the player clicks the same place, the tornado will always follow that same path.
If the player clicks directly left or right of the character, then it will go straight. Otherwise it will take one of the other paths that are much less straight.
When the character is running around and faces monsters in all directions, this makes it hard to aim across the screen. Most players choose to play with the character very close to the monsters so that they don’t have to deal with the weird aiming, and because the DPS is higher.
I hope this makes it clearer. The tornados can be a bit annoying, but it’s how they wanted it to be, and it can still be fun. If you’ are having issues, I would suggest trying to play in close.”

I DONT care & you are NOT helping me.

I only care about this ---->
“My question to the community is…have you found a trigger point, where the casting of the Tornado really sets off in a totally different direction, then the direction you are facing.
If yes? do share how to recreate the problem.”

If you REALLY want to help me, try to find the trigger point & comeback OR we can team up, so I can show you the problem.

Are you interesting helping me? yes or no?

When clicking exactly left or right of the character, it will go straight.

If not, it will choose one of the 8 possible paths based on the angle.

The paths chose when clicking vertically up or down are usually the most wildly off from where you’re aiming.

I’ve said the above multiple times. If you actually want people to help, then you might want to try be nicer about it, and actually read their responses. Being toxic doesn’t help anyone.

You might want to be less manipulative so people doesnt confront you such as I did.
Very good try. The answer is “No” you cant find any trigger point.
Thank you for your time.

Only noobs have this problem.

Only noobs answer like this.