Downloading executable

I don’t know how modern Blizzard games work with downloads on their newer client application, since both of us in the house still have disk versions to install from on D3 and RoS. Will game installs be automatic from download, or can you save executable to transfer to another computer without having to download multiple times? We use a 300 gig a month data plan, and while we don’t usually spike too high between two of us, it would be helpful to not have to download it everytime (only patches) if someone does a hard drive reset or something.

you will need to download the blizzard ‘launcher’ app Battlenet. From there they have all your games set so you can download them and launch them. No reason to think D2R will be any different.

I’m not sure if there’s a way around the download to each machine perhaps others have tied it more. I never come close to my monthly so I haven’t been too concerned with the occasional download.

i figured, but was hoping they would do an executable like with D2. When we converted one copy each to digital last year (keeping our 3rd as disk only for muling on laptops), we put the download on a usb drive for ease. D2R doesn’t concern me though as much as D4 will. Hope we won’t have to up our internet when we really don’t need more data normally.

Hey there, the following suggestion is a bit complicated but I’m adding it just in case you want to use it, you can see it explained in the video and if needs be you can do some research: Downloading Games at 10 GIGABIT? - YouTube

other then that I think you can just download the game on one computer, copy the files to your other machine via a removeable storage of sort or through your home network, put it into to the right location and the battlenet app should take it into account

hope I was able to help

You can just transfer the folder to another computer and the launcher should automatically detect it on startup. No need to download the game twice.

If it doesn’t get detected there is an option to scan for game folders in the menu or you could try launching the executable, because it requires the launcher anyways.

Nope.

This. All you have to do with Blizzard games is save the directory to a portable media device. Then, copy to the other computer. Point the Launcher at the file. That is it! Launcher has a “find the game” function that searches your computer so you don’t have to do too much work unless you put it somewhere odd.

This is what you should do, if you can, for all Blizzard games. Keep a copy on an external drive that way when you re-install or put it on a new PC, all it has to do is get the latest patches.

I can promise it works for D2R. I downloaded it to my desktop, copied to external drive, put it on my laptop to see if it would even run.

Thanks! That works for me.

Blizzard should consider adding a backup/restore feature similar to what Steam has.

What does Steam have that avoids downloading the game files again? What the OP wants here is to avoid having to download a game more than one time so he can put it on multiple PCs (and not exceed his bandwidth limits).

From experience with both, the Battlenet launcher handles game transfers a lot more elegantly and without any issues and do not require the system steam as in place because it just automatically does what it needs to

The only way to avoid redownloading the game is to have a copy of the game data available… Manually saving that data works fine, but not everyone is savvy enough to know how to do that, and they may be in a similar bandwidth restrictive setup.

Archiving with Steam compresses the game data into zip files and saves it wherever you specify.

You can then choose restore, point to the archive, and it will extract and restore the game data to the default Steam game folder. If there are any updates that are needed, they will come through when you launch the game.

If the account you are on does not own the game, Steam will simply not allow you to play it. (The game will be greyed out)