Do new players participate in pvp?

Been spending a few hours looking through guides players have written for PVP. Some for Diablo 2 classic, Some for LOD and Some for D2R. I’ve noticed how most of the guides require the reader to understand all the base mechanics of the game and are generally focused towards what we could call end-game. Clearly written by players who actually play the game, those guides have some darn good information on em’ and even if you don’t pvp; it’s worth a read!

I just wonder, how many new players get into pvp naturally while playing the game.
I’m not talkin’ about if you watch a PVP streamer or whatever, at that point it’s safe to say you’re already into pvp ^.^

Pvp always has a culture or meta that surrounds it. It’s helpful to have new players exposed to it. at least for them to learn that it’s an option for gameplay. Everybody knows somebody who ‘doesn’t pvp’ and there’s no reason that guy couldn’t enjoy it as much as killing monsters.

Diablo’s always had a hard time with getting new players on pvp. Streaming and stuff helps a bit. get less misunderstandings but it’s an ongoing issue in my book. Sorry but I’m always thinkin’ about those theoretical new players, but it seems to help… so I’ve stuck with it ^.^

Sure things could be done to promote actual pvp competitions. Say for instance, players could organize scheduled pvp events and give out loot as a prize. Or the game could include some kind of automated pvp system that rewards the player in some way.

What do you guys think about pvp?
Are you new to this game or considering pvp for the first time, because reasons?
Would you even know where to start?

Would be nice to see an open Arena space that’s PVP with no actual death for noobs to practice and git good. Folks could watch and share training tips while others checkout what good meta gear is used… You know?

Random killing is not real pvp

2 Likes

You’re right. It’s gratuitous enjoyment! :smiley:

3 Likes

My guess would be “not many,” largely because the majority of build guides out there are PvE focused.

Personally I tend to allocate my stat points in a way that most would probably consider a PvP style, but that’s just my preference - not because I’m actually interested in doing PvP. I just hate the “only STR and VIT matter” approach. If someone was to try and gank my P/B Necro for instance he’d hardly be an easy target, despite him not really being a PvP toon.

1 Like

plenty of noobs who have never experienced PvP do. they get their naked butt camped for a bit, qq for a while and then they come to these forums to complain how much PvP sucks because their Peasant’s Hat Bonesnap lvl 74 Charger lost to a full juving level 90 Hammerdin.

Personally I love D2 PvP but I don’t really care about PvP right now. I’m too busy finding items but once ladder rolls around and annis/life skillers become cheap AF I’ll start PvPing heavily again.

3 Likes

This is probably another big reason…there doesn’t really seem to be any way to be sure you have a fair matchup. IRL, boxing matches don’t pair Bantam weights with the Heavies but in PvP that can happen all the time. If OP’s arena idea incorporated something to level the playing field, so to speak, it could be pretty popular. Guild Wars has something similar early in the game.

1 Like

well level requirements exist so high level 90+ duelers can lock out lower level folks who are more likely to be noobs…

since D2 items & builds can vary quite a bit it would be hard for Blizz to implement character/gear strength PvP game limiters. If we base it strictly on damage it wouldn’t make sense either, too big of a range Lightning Sorcs can easily do 60 K lightning damage and other end of the spectrum Javazons can barely eek out 5 K with Charged Strike. how would blizzard draw the line?

The question should be, if new players play this game at all :smiley:

And yea, PvP in Diablo was and is a joke (well yeah let me rephrase it, it’s unbalanced and therefore not competitive) and as such it should be looked at.

3 Likes

why don’t you explain to us what the joke is? if you don’t like it fine, but it is far from a joke and it has always had one of the best PvP scenes pre or post 1.09. It is fast paced, has great variety, there are GM vs BM types of duels and there are many different popular standards (ZealvZeal, BvB, Smite vs Smite, Bowa vs Bowa, 4v4/3v3)

It’s a joke because there’s no balance, zero.

1 Like

oh another one of these blanket statements that means utterly nothing. There are META builds. The meta builds are Wind Druid, Trapsin, Ghost/Hybsin, Mage, Liberator, Bone Nec, PNova Nec, Javazon, Bowazon, Hybzon, BvC, Blizz Sorc, FB Sorc and somehow this isn’t enough balance and variety for you? Are you sad that you can’t PvP with your Holy Bolt Paladin? smh

1 Like

I’m not talking about variety, I’m only talking about the balance and there is none in this game.
Like in Classic WoW, Warrior vs Mage - when both are equally skilled there is no way the Warrior beats the Mage.
And when 2 of the same class duel, the one with more luck wins. The same thing happens in Diablo.

It gets better in 3vs3 but it still is very imbalanced and meta builds trash on everything else.

It sure can be fun to do some PvP in Diablo, but I only care about fair and competitive PvP. I used to be one of those bad people who gank lowbies and stuff, the more I grew up the more I changed my mind.

more luck? you have not done enough GM PvP if you think it is about luck wtf… there is a lot of strategy going on plus some exploits to use (such as WSG in the past). only noobs spray and pray.

And are you kidding me? Liberator, BvC and Ghosts all wreck casters in this game… again I don’t think you’ve had enough experience… Hell even Rabies Druid can destroy MANY casters especially ES Sorcs.

Please do not bump troll threads and posts made by Stanner, Sekscalibure, vicVinegar, MEZKd2r, NOOBLMAO, Sareyene, Mifesto, MrEos, NeoRizer, RandyBoggs. Thank you from the D2R community.

2 Likes

Well as I said, you sure can have fun doing PvP in this game, but there’s no competitive ground to it, so it’s uninteresting to me.

3 Likes

ok if it isn’t fun for you fair. for me I have never played another ARPG or MMO which has had a more enjoyable PvP scene.

3 Likes

ARPG and MMO aren’t good (competitive) PvP games in general :smiley:

It’s definitely possible to balance them MORE OR LESS without trashing it like retail WoW, but it’s very hard because there are soooo many things to take care of… it’s just not a good base for competitive! PvP.

But sure in terms of fun it can be great, I had a great time playing PvP in WoW even tho it was super unbalanced as well, same as you have a great time playing PvP in Diablo :smiley:

1 Like

Buhaha ^.^

One thing the pvp guides have in common is how they all value flexibility in their builds. Mostly because you have to adapt to your opponents skills by utilizing equipment and skills to exploit holes in their defenses or confuse them with odd builds that are hard to nail down. As where in Pve folks focus on one task, in pvp folks must be prepared for anything that could potentially happen.

You see a lot more things like Magic Rings that grant abilities for instance.

LOL exactly.
Sure, everyone has to pay-their-dues . But those aren’t the kinds of lessons I think noobs should be learning. I bet some guys do this only because they don’t know there’s an actual thing - but it’s basically an unspoken thing … like fight club

first rule about noob fight club is:
don’t talk about getting ganked in noob fight club

Not only level it, but allow the traditions of pvp to be passed down organically. To expand on your MMA weight class analogy - it would be like fighting with empty stands behind closed doors without pay-per-view.

Actual competitive pvp needs to be well structured. as in having the same rules and following some kind of time schedule that is repetitive. Folks will do things like mark dates on calendars and set alarms on their phones to attend the real stuff. They need time to prepare like an Olympic athlete would. Some have rituals, or special rules that need to be agreed on. all kinds of things that need to be set in stone before the real coopetition can begin.

Some would argue this removes choice, but in-fact it puts more pressure on the player to make the choices, in real time.

It’s like how all NASCARs are basically the same, yet it’s the driver who gets the glory. But you need fans in the stands for that. And I know an Arena would be a good step in that direction.

Chaos is good in small quantities, but the entire thing can’t be chaos all the time ^.^

1 Like

To be honest, I lost interest in PVP in 1.10. I honestly believe the game was more PVP balanced before synergies… Also, the new rune words kind of broke the unique feeling each class brought to PVP. Dueling was fun to me in 1.08 and even 1.09…but not anymore. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

no, pvp isnt for new players. It requires very good gear while keeping breakpoints in mind.

After your pvm farmers are geared, you can start looking to gear pvp characters. Thats where the real grind is. BiS pvp gear is on another level, you’ll see a lot more crafting and move away from skiller charms on melee characters.

when pvm players think they’re done: yay i got enigma
when they are actually done: jewlers archone plate of the whale with 4x 30/60/9/9

1 Like

Anyone that plays d2 for PvP is a sperg. So many games out there with better PvP.

Yea but non of them is D2 and pvp combined. D2 pvp has alot of depth behind it that noobs just miss on.

2 Likes