Diablo 2's loot system is atrocious

Because the next season hasn’t released yet.

How about a crazy thought well me what issue you have with my proposal, & why it is bad, instead of “go play another game” or “Its not D2”.

You know like a statement base on merit/cons

1 Like

seems like you have no answer to the question. I’d really wanna know why you play a game you complain about missing features which are already implemented in others of the same genre.

My issue with your proposal is that there are plenty of games that do already have what you ask for, while D2R is what I want from a ARPG. Why should we change 1 unique game to a 0815 game? While there are plenty?

3 Likes

Okay, so you have no real arguement. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

i think most stupidest thing about this game drop table is Diablo being manually gated from dropping items he should

And the next thing you would like is if items only drop to the class you are playing…

Many things you find with one character, can be used to make another character.

I really don’t understand why you people don’t just go play Diablo 3, or wait it out till Diablo 4, surely you will ditch Diablo 2 when Diablo 4 comes out.

For me, I am pretty sure Diablo 4 is a game I don’t think is a great game to play a long time, cause of the “improvements” that Diablo 3 made.

3 Likes

Nice how you avoid a simple question. But you are REQUESTING a change. So you should be bringing arguments. Why make D2R a bad clone of every other modern ARPG?
D2R is different and that’s why I and many others bought it. It does not need to be like the other games, else I would have bought them and played them already.

3 Likes

The problem is that the game was made at the beginning of the year 2000 in the great launch of Korean hardcore games where you had to grind 200 hours to make a simple lvl. We are no longer used to this kind of game in 2021. The players who have too much time in front of them to play, find that this system is ideal and perfect. On the other hand, the players who have a life, a family and something to have had other than video games no longer find the climax. Personally I find no interest in making bosses who can drop me potions or town portal scrolls, it’s totally stupid. The fact of dropping white or blue items on super bosses is not more rewarding. Personally, I have a barbarian, a witch and a javazon lvl 88-90 and I don’t really want to play anymore. The progression in lvl is nonexistent and as the drop rate is poor, I do not feel the need to start from another class since I know that I will be disappointed in advance.

We don’t even talk about the drop rate of high lvl runes either. It almost looks like the game was made for real money trading and that blizzard is encouraging resale and duping.

2 Likes

I pretty much agree with OP.

I don’t want it changed either, because that’s how the game used to work and should work, it’s a core feature.

But the droprates are so freaking bad it’s hilarious :smiley: and the fact that in hell drops all the garbage from normal and nightmare… it’s so annoying.

That’s the reason I can only play this game for the fun of it, whenever I feel like I wanna slay some demons, I just go for it. I can’t force myself to play this game in hope to get something useful, because I know about the droprates and the RNG it involves, it would feel like a waste of time to me.

1 Like

Words you’ll never see in any game forum, ever…

“I got exactly the right amount of loot and progression is absolutely perfect!”

1 Like

The games formula is designed to give the player enough power to complete each play through with minimal effort.

I know because I’ve done this about 10,000 times now.

2 Likes

For me (at least vs. D3 which I am using to compare b/c it’s the next game in the Diablo series) it’s because:

1. You can progress and beat the game/still farm Hell lvl85 areas with items that are worse than those “10” GG items until you get them. In say, D3, if you don’t have the full set and the supporting legendaries, your build often won’t function, or will function at significantly lower damage output that locks you out of what is typically considered “end game” content.

2. You’re not just trying to find the exact same items over and over again with higher “base” time (normal → ancient → primal ancient) and having mostly randomized stats to hope to get the high base item with the right stats.

3. Unique, RW, and Set items actually feel special/fun since they’re desired for the static stats they come with, rather than just a legendary power and hoping you get usable randomized stats.

4. Static attributes/fewer layers of RNG on items on unique/set/RW items make progressing through the item hunt more fun IMO since once you find the item you want, you have it. You might want to min/max by finding a slightly better version of it, but it’s not as bad as having to find the same item over and over again until you get the right attributes with a well rolled legendary power.

5. There’s still rare and magic items that fill the “mostly RNG” void, and considering the attribute combinations they can roll, certain rares could actually be BiS or close to BiS for characters. Even magic items with specific skill bonuses or something like “Cruel of Quickness” is usable, making many interesting to pick up and actually ID, whereas in D3 rare and magic items become pure mat fodder pretty early on in the process.

In D3 literally any item can drop from any enemy (so long as you’ve unlocked certain drops) so they took it even farther in the next game iteration. The intent was to reduce “boss runs” but then of course the game changed so much anyway that doing endless NR/GR is pretty similar to a boss run vs. trying to kill everything in an overworld map. D2 at least has both boss runs and lvl 85 areas.

There’s things they could definitely improve. I agree it’s annoying how common low end items are in Hell difficulty, but as some posters have pointed out, you’d have to be very careful if you made changes to not throw things off.

I actually like this about D2 for a few reasons:

1. I feel like it increases build diversity. With higher scaling content the lower performing builds will get weeded out more quickly. D2 has lower performing builds that can still complete the game and farm many Hell areas, albiet slower. Something like D3 has fewer builds that can achieve the top GRs, which limits you in gems and XP making it feel like you’re not even getting to the end game unless you play a cookie cutter build designed by the Devs via set and legendary powers.
  2. It lets the hard core people continue to min/max for the absolute best rolled BiS gear, but lets less hard core people stop sooner while still being able to reasonably claim they finished that character - beating Hell Baal, being able to farm many areas of Hell, etc. To an extent this is still true in D3 but I feel like it’s a nicer progression in D2.

I also personally find a lot of the set items only useful for leveling alts in early/mid game, but you typically would need to be farming mid/end game content for a while before you’d gather them all, making them a little bit of a catch-22 to use on a “SSF” style character, thus making them (for me at least) mostly just nice leveling gear. I think this is exacerbated by the fact that many are only really even useful vs. what you find along the way when they get the set bonuses from other pieces, some are pretty lack luster w/o the partial and full set bonuses.

1 Like

I’m not claiming you need those 10 items to beat the game of course. I’m just saying after beating the game all that is left for me is chasing those 10 items.

For D3 it ends up being the exact same issue, except you can also grind rifts. After a point all I am doing is chasing a small number of items (primals) with select rolls.

Mostly it just gets annoying that so much of the “unique” items are pretty pointless (runewords did make this worse).

At least give me a loot filter and let my eyes rest.

2 Likes

Stop the generalization. I’m working and having a family and as do my friends and we still enjoy most of the game as it is. Grind and drops are not the problem.

Problem with many “2021 people” is that they are expecting to much reward for very little effort. You see it at work, you see it in games, you see it on social media.

It’s the human nature to try to get as much with as little effort as possible. But exactly this laziness is taking over. Most people want everything handed to them without doing anything for it. That’s a problem in the workplace and it’s getting more and more a problem in games, because games get boring if you get participation trophies and shinies without effort.

People need to learn realistic expectations and that it’s more fun if you earned it.

3 Likes

Essentially you asking for higher drop rates, either that or you want to see the lower level items filtered out and just see less items drop, but I think it’s the former.

Targeted drops are fine and I liked them in WoW but not every game needs to function the same way. I like how Diablo allows me to play any area I want with a chance to get almost any available item. It can make it very difficult to hunt for particular items but the tradeoff is more freedom to go where you want. The only change I would have made is to have a difficulty that was even across all acts in terms of difficulty, items, and experience so we don’t have to farm any particular area for max level items.

In D3 I never push to get on leader boards. The fun for me is to keep improving my personal best in GR clears. I know that if in time I am able to clear some of the same high tiered GRs as others in a time better than they can then I will be on the leader boards.

So you want to ignore what he said, okay, strange but okay. I can say the same for all of the other games that already have those things. Why don’t a lot of them become like D2R.

Exactly this ^^^^, I didn’t buy this game for it to become anything else but D2R. Not a copy and paste of a D2 mod or like one of the other games already out there or soon to be launched.

What you don’t understand is that the raw power gained and the stats after somewhere around level 94 IIRC is so small that it really isn’t worth it to get the remaining five levels.

You have to realize that not all players of D2R are ones without a life outside of the game. Some have those same things and find ways to spend enough time playing the game in an efficient manner to get all of the things they want out of the game.

Finding the best gear in the game along with leveling other builds is the endgame for D2R. Since there is no paragon or anything else to chase after.

Do you do farming with those characters. If you farm the right places you can find a lot of good things if you are patient.

1 Like

It came from hating Diablo 3 and having rose colored glasses.
Just looking at the player counts of D2R online now illustrate this. The burnout is real.

3 Likes

Dude if you farm bosses you are badicly showered by uniques and sets.

what you explained as frustrating, is the exact reason i play this game. diablo 2 is not for you.

2 Likes

Showing frustration with something, and complaining are 2 different things. It’s a vent post. We all have done them. I did one on wow against the pos Bashiok, lost, and am currently banned from the WoW forums till 2999 LOL.