Diablo 2's loot system is atrocious

Let me make one thing crystal clear first… I am not asking for changes in any form. All I want to do here… is yelling into my tear-soaked pillow… to see if there are others that feel the same… or similar.

If you look at loot lists of Diablo 2, silospen’s or that maxroll one… you find one thing out. Nearly everything can drop nearly everything. There are limits. But when you realize that Baal Hell has a similar chance to drop a Minor Healing Potion… then he has to drop a Zod Rune…
Other games have certain enemies have a limited loot pool… like in World of Warcraft a dungeon boss as example. You know that this boss drops a certain item, so you can farm him.

Not in Diablo 2. In Diablo 2 Act Bosses in nightmare can literally drop all loot from normal and from nightmare. Similar Act Bosses from hell can drop everything from normal and nightmare as well as stuff from hell.

I think… it would be less… frustrating if Super Uniques and Act Bosses would only drop loot from the difficulty they are on, rather then from all lower difficulties as well. If I’d want loot from normal… I would run normal. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think all loot lists are as padded as some Loot Boxes for some games nowadays are. Which is not a good thing.

All that being said, I am not complaining. Diablo 2 is still fun if you play it in a self-challenging way, trying to run self-found or character-found.

I am just curious if there are others also frustrated by Diablo 2’s original loot system, where on higher difficulties stuff from lower difficulties can also drop.

17 Likes

Are you sure about that? Like, really sure?

20 Likes

yea its stupid
those of us not afraid to criticize know its stupid
loot tables should be filtered by item level and monster level
IE Hell baal loot table should be like ilvl 60+, since you cant even legit get to him until you are 60 and kill ancients

i think its made the way it is to pad the game time, which has accomplished its mission extremely well, probably the best ever padded game time rng in history

14 Likes

First of all, I know assuming is a bad thing to do, but I’m going to do it anyway… I’m going to assume that there is absolutely no desire to increase the amount of drops from any of the difficulties…

That being said, lets say…
Normal can only drop normal items. Exceptional/elite items=nodrop. If you want Gull Dagger, you have to farm here.
Nightmare can only drop exceptional items. Normal/Elite items=nodrop. If you want War Travelers, you have to farm here.
Hell can only drop elite items. Normal/Exceptional items=nodrop. If you want Sandstorm Treks, you have to farm here.

You do realize how scarce the item drops would become in Hell difficulty, right? I don’t have the exact numbers, but somewhere around 5-10% of all drops in hell are elite items. It would actually become more difficult to farm the desirable gear, since you can’t get everything in Hell difficulty as you can right now.

4 Likes

Reducing the drop rates of normal items in hell would be smart. Completely blocking them from dropping in hell would make everyone’s life miserable.
Normal items have their use in hell, like rare gloves and boots because they can have better mods than the elite version

1 Like

if they added /player 8 to online play, game would be great.

3 Likes

My entire list of items I care a lot basically boils down to 10.

I’m not really sure where all the arguments about D2 having great item customization come from.

7 Likes

Working as designed.

2 Likes

yes D2 is supposed to be a game about poor end game gear drops. if you think it is infuriating, go play non-expansion D2R or even more so, Diablo 1.

look the reality is you don’t need a SINGLE piece of end game gear to solo hell. You can create very competent builds using budget gear. High runes, rarest uniques, etc are all for absolute end game and really only necessary for serious PvP. I don’t think removing normal/exceptional item variants from hell drops is a good solution even if it left drop rates the same because there are plenty of normal/exceptional items that are useful and it would be annoying having to change difficulties just to farm some bases or w/e.

I agree this type of system is not for everyone. There are people who either don’t have time or don’t want to spend a lot of time in a video game and they want end game gear or else it isn’t fun for them. D3 is right there waiting for you, it is a perfectly good game.

7 Likes

Valid points. Not to mention some items that you “would” find in normal/NM can be useful in hell mode once you upgrade them using cube recipes.

2 Likes

Actually I agree with this totally. It is a real pain to be farming Hell mode and consistently seeing trash lvl 20 items.

1 Like

The thing I am curious about especially, is the thought process behind it… when designing the game.

If you take your time and actually check loot lists that do not only show you half the information… you are surprised who can come up with such a convoluted list… and I not know of any other game that has nearly every enemy being able to drop nearly every item.

Like silospen is a nice web site but you have to select what you want to see, you can tell it to show you hell Baal as example, but then you can not just see everything he can drop. You have to choose between seeing Base Item, Unique Item, Set Item, Rare Item or Magic Item… you can’t just see a list of everything he can drop.

Same with maxroll, you can see here a whole list of what hell Baal can drop, but you can’t let it sort after chance… because it is forcefully also split up in rarity.

The way it is right now, it is for sure a challenge to beat without getting stuff from other players… even more so if one chooses Hardcore also.
The best part about this is it is possible to beat Diablo 2 on Hardcore character-found… which is also quite a feat.

“It would become more difficult to farm desired gear”. I am not so sure about that, right now 90% of the items I do see are from normal and nightmare. The last 10% are hell items, but… I am not that lucky with those hell drops recently and I see mostly normal/nightmare items.

So no I do not think it became “harder”… especially if I knew there was this one enemy that can drop soj… no one else can. I could run that one enemy whole day… and at some point in time it will drop one.

On the bright side, since nearly everything can drop everything… you can run Chaos Sanctum… and it is worth to actually clear everything… because who knows, right? Might be a lucky punk.

Ehhh… I’m kind of on the fence about this. While it would make some sense to have Nightmare only drop Exceptional quality items, it would be counter intuitive because a lot of Exceptional gear is still used in end-game builds. So making them easier to obtain would make no sense.

Allowing basically all items to drop in Hell allows you to focus on the difficulty that actually pertains to your level and keeps the game engaging and challenging.

Forcing you to go to Nightmare to get something you can only obtain in Nightmare would be pretty silly because everything dies from just looking at it.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. While there is not allot normal gear still useful later… there is allot Exceptional gear that is still very good in Hell.
This might be a very good point for the loot system Diablo 2 had, probably the intention of the designers. The only way to change this up would be if Exceptional gear would drop upgraded in Hell. But that is sort of a silly two-edged sword as well.

Found arachnid mesh and gheeds yesterday. Found ist and vex today. I think OP may be doing a lot wrong with his farming.

1 Like

No they cant. Only Baal can. Even diablo cant drop most elite unique items.

Absolutly not. This would mess with loot system big time and you would have to seriously nerf dropped quality of items and effect of magic find.

2 Likes

You don’t need all BiS gear in order to beat hell difficulty. That is something that you would like to have for your character and part of the chase. Getting it sooner will just mean getting geared up faster which is not good for a game where the chase after BiS gear is part of endgame. Along with getting re-rolling characters to try out new builds.

1 Like

Don’t do it. It will just frustrate you. My advice, go to your favorite 85 area and farm it. If you are fast and go for 100+ runs per day (real not feeling like). You will find something to cheer you up a few times a week.

1 Like

I think theer is 2 problems. nevermind, make it 3

1. Low drop rares of often key items, like high runes to make specific buils like bear sorc, Tesladin. I think its not fun when you can get everything too easy, like D3, but the other direction is also as bad. I played since launch & not even seen a shako. There need to be balance tailor to a ladder period where decent delicated players can “complete” a build at least.

2. outdated Loot farming end game. The jackpot loot will be more tolerable if the process is fun, & its even better if the loot quality/quantity can scale with higher difficulty challanges like modern arpg end game maps/grift.

3. Not high incentive to keep grind to get better loot, since there is no higher difficulty to challenge you. There is Übers, but its more of specific builds than pure horsepower.

No ladderboard to compare yourself with others. Say what you will, pushing leaderboard in D3 is fun even for casuals.

1 Like

You are always repeating the same complaint. Why do you play D2R and not those modern ARPGs with rifts?

2 Likes