Dear dev team, why…

They fixed the first hit but messed up attack frames and your WW hits now get slowed by all slow effects

2 hander no longer get the 4 fpa bp

2 Likes

Okay they just need to release a tiny patch but question is will they…

It was never broken.

Although there was an issue where sometimes it wouldn’t hit anything. I wasn’t sure if it was a desync issue on battle net or what. People thought the 2 free hit checks were removed, but they were definitely still in the game about 2 weeks ago.

OKAY OKAY

In noob terminology what is the problem or is it not a problem.

I am gonna make a barb and have 2 Lo runes and Zod with all the bases so i really need to know.

2hand weapons are slower now

2x 1hand weapon can reach same breakpoints but now your attacks are slowed from: freeze/cold damage, holy freeze, slow from arach/nosferatu, decrep, clay golem

WW Bugs ← That should explain it better than I can I think. TLDR: Whirlwind had two free hit checks at 4 Frames and 8 Frames before the weapon APS took over. These were not working as intended and were “bugged”.

If you had a two handed weapon at 6 Frame breakpoint, WW would attack at 4/8/14/20 Frames. If you managed to get it to 4 Frame breakpoint(which everyone could do prior to 2.4.3), you’d have 4/8/12/16/20/24 Frames or 6 Attacks per second. Now 2-H, from 2.4.3, is relegated to 5 Frames max and the 2nd hit check appears to have been removed so now WW with a 2-H at the 5 Frame breakpoint now attacks like so: 4/9/14/19/24 ← ~5 Attacks per second. That accounts for roughly a 17% DPS nerf(5/6 = ~.83) and doesn’t factor in the minor damage nerf for Whirlwind level 28 and higher(since they also changed the skill’s starting %ED and how much it increases along with starting Attack Rating).

Oh and being chilled, Holy Freeze and Decrepify now affect WW’s APS(didn’t before), meaning in the right situation, it can be lethal. Since a 2-H Barb can’t Frenzy to generate Skill IAS, they must rely on Fanaticism(nerfing their damage output from A2 Might + Pride). IK Set really got short end of stick on this too.

2 Likes

So dont make dual botd clossul blades of greif phase swords???.

Or make one each and equip a fortitude???

2-H Swords were always treated differently when it came to Whirlwind because they could be dual wielded. As such they utilize the 1-H breakpoint tree, even if you’re using a 2-H Sword as a 2-H Weapon(like Grandfather). Therefore, dual BotD Colossus Blade easily hits the 4 Frame breakpoint since you’ll have 120 IAS from the two Swords(not counting Gloves, Highlords or any other Armor IAS). You may need to factor in Decrepify/Holy Freeze and stack spare IAS to counter it or simply roll with a Fanaticism Merc.

Grief + BotD is also easily 4 FPA.

The way they wrote the notes I think indicates they intended to buff WW, so I would consider the negatives accidental/bugs. They’ll probably change it eventually.

1 Like

Now im hoping the barb has four arms to wield 2 greifs and 2 botd.

1 Like

They may very well intend to do more tweaks to Whirlwind(and the Barbarian in general), but this change in 2.4.3 came out of left field with little warning and no PTR Testing for it. Considering they were changing the IAS breakpoints players have come to know over the last 20+ years, a PTR session would have been warranted so players could give feedback and tell them to go back to the drawing board. This… to be polite, is a nerf to 2-H WW Barbs.

3 Likes

Just wait untill you face a impale amazon haha.

this dump change make 0 sense

this is the equivalent asking too some caster a extra 30% to 60% extra faster cast rate

and 2 hand staff dont have the same cast cap anymore vs 1 hand

this is just no sense in my opinion

1 Like

Isnt that logical tho? Why should be ww exluded from slow?

Cannot be frozen counter slow from cold dmg right? I dont really play ww so idk.

1 Like

The fact that now I have to put IAS on my shield and helmet . 20 IAS gloves is just ridiculous just to hit 4ps in ww

Rip BVB

All the Gg 30/9/9 jewels now useless

1 Like

It is logical but you can’t call it a buff.

4fpa 2 hander can no longer get to 4fpa and are capped at 5fpa before any of these effects are applied. You now have to use dw 1 hander and they got nerfed too.

I think we can agree that WW wasn’t great in pvm and was only ok in pvp

So why hard nerf it and call it a buff? Because the devs don’t understand their own game and refuse to test with the community before releasing such changes

3 Likes

I think weapons masteries require change add splash dmg for polearms , ias to two handed swords…

1 Like

Patches that no one asked for are being updated. All melee class attack speed nerf, The assassin nerf, the Barbarian nerf, who’s next? smite paladin?

2 Likes

Nothing RIP about 2H WW barb. It’s worse in some places but better in others. Now we have opportunity to use weapons without IAS at all. Did you ever have a 2H WW barb with Death or Obedience before? Well now you can. All those unique elite axes and spears and polearms without or with low IAS are viable too

Funny, my friend was doing a WW barb with Death Decapitator before the update. He ripd on him but I recovered his gear. He’s making a new barb now… he’ll be surprised that his new barb will be suddenly stronger than the old one.

Basically they told us that it should be an overall buff and it’s not and Death 2 hand WW isn’t gonna change that.