D2's original team was working on guild halls and PVP modes

Didn’t the devs also make a PVP balance change by removing life/mana leech from PVP? Hopefully that makes future PVP related balancing an easier process when they decide to add in the PVP arena.

1 Like

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition…

1 Like

Pretty sad since there are in fact zero PvP specific items. There are also zero PvP specific mechanics (simple variable insertions to reduce damage/effects against players are not mechanics). There are no PvP specific areas. Also all of the “rules” you cite specifically inhibit PvP. And the only “mode” being FFA makes that not actually a mode but rather points out that there are no PvP modes at all.

The only thing in the entire game that exists specifically to encourage PvP is the ear drop. Gold drops whenever you die, it is not a reward for a killer but a penalty for one who dies. Lol at the idea that PvM loot you pick up from monsters you kill when PvP is over is a PvP reward.

So on the one hand you have every mechanic, monster, spell, area, and item in the game. On the other hand you have ears.

Hmm, I wonder which hand the game was designed for.

Gee, I wonder why none come to your mind.

1 Like

It would be so much fun if there were a spot hc characters could pvp without risking losing their entire character for good. As it is now I haven’t pvped in years since I swapped to hc.

Someone who doesn’t participate in PVP (or even theorycraft on PVM with the myriad of uniques and RW’s out there) would think that, but Runemaster is a great example of a PVP specific item, same with Death Cleaver, Stormshield, Verdungo’s, T-Stroke, Angelic rings + ammy, etc.

You don’t need AR for PVM. You don’t need damage reduction. You don’t need a shield on a barb (and Stormshield is poo on paladins). String of ears is the go-to choice for PVM over dungo’s. T-Stroke is miles better in PVP than Titan’s, and ethereal Titan’s is the go-to for PVM. EDC outperforms Grief in melee PVP, despite being a fraction of the damage. Runemaster has no use what so ever, other than massively lowering the defense of the enemy player. FoH is horrid in PVM, but effective in PVP. Smite is absolutely horrid in PVM, but incredibly OP in PVP.

I could go on forever, but I don’t want to make a full time job out of writing a novel in order to educate the individuals reading this thread. I’m not attempting to educate you, because your zealotry is the perfect shield against education.

“There are no things I don’t want to exist. Oh and don’t list the things I don’t want to exist, since I’m bringing them up preemptively, acknowledging their existence, but ignorantly denying their existence at the same time.”

Lol! You can try and skirt around the argument with bizarre self-made definitions all you want, but anything I gain from killing someone is a reward. Although, the fact that you acknowledge an ear as a pvp specific reward completely destroys your argument anyhow.

“There are no rewards for PVP. Wait, ears exist, but I don’t want to count that!!”

I have been ganked a million times at Trav, and picked up HR’s, gold, war travs, etc, from killing the person trying to gank me. I’ve also ganked others in the middle of their trav runs and stolen their stuff, back in the early days of D2 when I was a mean-spirited kid.

Most of which only have an impact on PVP, and the other half still have more of an impact on PVP.

Yeah, I listed a handful of pvp specific features in the game, while you haven’t provided a single reason to substantiate the idea that “D2 waSnT MeANt fOr Pvp”. You’re still lurking in a thread showing plans for PVP arenas for god’s sake, lol…

Shouting nonsense into the sky doesn’t substantiate that nonsense, it just makes your throat sore.

4 Likes

Very interesting. I’ve always been more inclined to PvP in a game setting rather than straight dueling or warzones. RIFT and SWTOR are good examples of what I’m talking about.

And of course UT2k4. An FPS I know, but the modes were chef kiss

I think those would have been pretty cool things actually. Too bad they didn’t get finished, but it is what it is. Probably never will be

1 Like

You would know, I guess.

let me just add that it’s relatively achievable to balance all classes of players among each other. To be clear, I’m not saying you can balance a top player with a noob here. But it could be done simply by restricting the levels or stats of the combatants.

I’ve seen the tiered system work well to allow players to compete in their respective brackets. Sometimes players take time to make a new character for each bracket just for a new playfield.

For example:
Arena Combat Mode (0) = Players level (All)
Arena Combat Mode (1) = Players level 1-30
Arena Combat Mode (2) = Players level 31-50
Arena Combat Mode (3) = Players level 51-70
Arena Combat Mode (4) = Players level 71-99
Arena Combat Mode (5) = Players level 99 only

This way it’s not just the buffest top players competing but also the lower level folks with non-optimized gear or methodology too.

Diablo already has the ability for players to damage each other and those values can be adjusted independently from pvm if i’m not mistaken. We can see how they’ve recently added the Hit/Miss :x: indicator for pvp for instance.

2 Likes

God, that’d be amazing. Especially if winning the match gave you some sort of gamble on items, relative to the level of opponents.

I’d probably play with the levels allowed per mode, a bit, but overall, that’s an amazing idea.

1 Like

The actual values are not real, only for example.
To obtain the best real-world values I’d need to review the levels on all the skills and items. and of course you’d run smoke tests publicly to observe attendance and adjust the values as needed. it leaves room to wiggle later on.

the game I come from, and helped gm events uses a system like this. So I know it works LoL

We reward the participants with what we call a “league Crackker-Jack” Basically its a pop-up when you click on the NPC that allows you to select your reward from a list of options.
Again, this list can be adjusted relatively easy.

Low levels get low rewards or items for quests.
mid levels usually select EXP or an item of moderate value that is traded as currency.
High levels usually don’t even care about the reward but do it for the glory and score count.

In the Arena; players do-no suffer experience loss or equipment durability loss and we do not drop anything when you die. When you revive at the NPC, you regain your health and head back in for more fun. This is the kind of environment that is needed to train. otherwise folks will be too scared to loose their perosseous items.

Kind of what is missing from pvp here.
The actual game-modes come after. Build it and they will come after-all.

It’s still popular to this day lol

2 Likes

this thread is proof that d2 wasn’t meant for pvp actually, it shows that the plans they had for pvp got scrapped lol thanks for proving it to everyone.

1 Like

Lol, you’re such a bad troll.

“The sun rising in the east is proof that the earth is flat. Thanks for pointing that out!”

The dead-enders who want no changes are just lazy dopes and hypocrites.

3 Likes

And it was never made FOR PVP
It was made WITH PVP
There is a big difference

I hope bc now pvp is just a bad joke

All games have scraped ideas within its files
Hypothetical content that never made it live

He is right
You showed us a trash can full of scraped ideas for pvp, what do you want people to think?

2 Likes

Well, I generally expect people to exercise a bit of perceptive ability, and allow facts to shape their opinions. But here you and him are, circumventing my expectations entirely.

1 Like

“An item happens to be good at PvP therefore it was deliberately introduced for PvP. Also PvP in D2 has rules they’re just all designed specifically to inhibit PvP but umm, yeah.”

-Diabololical

“Certain mechanics like damage reduction do absolutely nothing for anyone other than PVP, but this game wasn’t meant for PVP.” – Mith.

You think damage reduction doesn’t apply to monsters? Bruh

You think it’s actually needed or used at all in PVM? Lil’ lady…