Convince me the drop system isnt broken

It’s not broken, it’s just RNG. I can play one character with all the MF in the world and find a few things here and there vs. another character that happens to have absolutely none to some MF on a rare or two and I am finding stuff all over the place.

I have mules in off line for just about everything I found on my Assassin. My Amazon and Barbarian combined didn’t find as many items. I am talking low to high level uniques, gems of all types, runes of all types, gg rares that should not be that good (especially at the lower 40 levels), etc.

Now, if you consider the pure RNG of D2 itemization to being ‘broken.’ then I agree 100%. I don’t even bother stacking MF any more. It’s a waste of gem slots. If you don’t, then all I can say (others as well), keep playing and maybe you will hit a lucky streak. Of course if you do hit a really good lucky streak, stop playing and get yourself a lotto ticket.

This game revolves around trading. The more active players there are the cheaper and more available items become. If you don’t use third party trading platforms like Discord, Traderie and yes even JSP, you are at a huge disadvantage if your goal is to be competitive in the ladder start.

The biggest learning curve of D2r is knowing the constantly changing market values for items. Know what services are always in demand and trade your time for currency. I never expect to build wealth via solo farming. That is the wrong mindset to be in and you will be disappointed most of the time.

By week two I usually have my enigma, CTA, crafted rings, because I play the game in a way that most players dont want to. This ladder season I spent 3 days out of the first week just trading and flipping items. No leveling at all. In three days I generated enough wealth to buy an enigma and then some. This allowed me to have a strong character to help me transition into offering services for a competitive price. Grush for forge etc.

Trade your game time for value. Many players like to play “fun” characters that don’t allow them to build wealth as quickly and rely on donations to gear them up.

There is no wrong way to play the game, but your early decisions will impact your future success.

Lol what dude xD this forum is getting more and more hilarious lmao
Why so many people complaining about the loot system and the game i really don’t get it at all.

This game is not designed to find everything yourself.
If this still your goal you might want to improve lots in this game and change the way you play it.

Well bro this happens if people like you beeing loud about some changes they want just to feel better about themself.
Nobody should ask for sh*t, take it or leave it. I love the game the way it was. Not saying we don’t need some tweaks here and there and some QoL features but all the small changes starting to add up because of some whiny little newbs, it defo lost some charm, and if they would increase drop rates so that you can be happy finally own a ber would make the game lose all its charm…

Well it is, it just take time.

yea of course it takes, and doin it in ladder if what lots of people want, but time there is limited.
so is there anybody on this world who was able to find and create EVERY item by themself while a single ladder? i would be really surprised if so.

1 Like

Well i am trying :slight_smile:

But i started like two weeks ago so ot wont be whole ladder length.

1 Like

I’ve seen that, lurking here and there when you stream on yt^^

1 Like

Thats why trading is essential. You can find everything yourself if you dedicate to that, some have. Otherwise, you find loot, trade it for loot you need to others who need what you find.

2 Likes

Would be actualy great if you can post there in that topic, i dont think i can post more updates unless someone else post in that topic.

exactly but this is what a lot of people dont get, and this is what makes the game special, to me at least :smiley:
and ofc this is not what everybody likes, hell it would be boring if we would all like the same things, but many seem to want to change the game so they can like it for whatever reason, instead of just leave it and play something else, alot, and i really mean ALOT of game out there to play that fits people style of playing more than this game.

1 Like

rofl, i love how this dude is using the current prices for jah and ber and acting like they are static.

or there needs to be a marketplace type trading system and a currency.

yeah there is… its called jsp… eyeroll

you trade your items ( or your services) for FG
you trade FG for items or services

also u dont need enigma

i mena hell they made they game WAY easier by making it you dont even have full immunes now.

1 Like

Dude, I have accumulated an adequate amount of wealth on JSP. I agree with you that its not hard to do.

This is exactly my point. The fact that its necessary to sign up for a 3rd party trading site means the current game is broken. Same reason the anni system is broken. They fixed it slightly by giving more people a chance as opposed to the old system of IP hunting, but its still broken.

No it isn’t. What a load of crap. People like you is why d3 and d4 turned out the way they did. If all you cry babies were happy about trading and d2jsp, d3 and d4 would have continued in the same vein. But no, so many tears were shed when blizz tried to take the trading platform into their own hands with the d3 rmah which WAS the perfect solution. f’ing hypocrites & yet another f’ing stupid thread that will never change how d2r is played but will sadly only negatively impact future diablo titles…

The sooner you realize that D2 is not competitive online play the sooner you will make your peace of mind. It is not, and it never was, not now and not 23 years ago.

1 Like

It isn’t. You are just a moron who is too stupid to understand statistics.

Its not , i dont use jsp and trade just fine.

Oh I can explain that to you.

This exact scarcity is what made D2 so popular. It is this scarcity which motivates everybody to grind on and on. Have you ever played a fully equipped character with perfect items? As soon as you have everything, the incentive to play that char drops exceedingly. It is the longing for something, it is about the quest, not the goal. Thatswhy these ridiculous low drop rates are in place, that you go on and on and on and hope for the next good drop. This is THE main motivation for the core player base. Blizzard knows this, and has perfected it in e.g. Immortal.

The endless grinding and the huge scarcity is what makes the dropped item so attractive. If you get the item handed over as in D3, you have great gameplay, but the experience getting that item does not feel as epic anymore.

Now maybe you belong to the more sane group of players which e.g. says, hold on, yeah I love grinding too, but I dont have enough time, I also have a life! This constitutes a quite big group too, and a growing group at that.

And this it is a conflict! Because if you please one group, you make the other group unhappy.

Blizzard is of course aware of it, on the one hand they have to preserve/translate the original D2 experience. On the other hand they have to make sure they do not loose players. What Blizzard did about this in the past was giving out small concessions, like upping the high rune drop chances slightly, or recently the sunder charms.

But thinking they would totally up the drop chances like in D3 would be unrealistic, because that would dilute the original experience which made this game great.

3 Likes

How i understand it, is that d2 always was a perfect adaption of the famous Skinner Box. Meaning its gambling at its best like a slot machine or Roulette. But afaik there are no real random numbers in a conventional cpu so mostly some other start figures like cpu heat, time, fan speed etc. are used to start a calculation for a “random” dropchance. Maybe, without knowing what exactly the d2 calculation is based on, that can explaon why sometimes drops of HRs occur at the beginning of a game session in a row and later on for several hours no more. Its how the game works and i myself found several Ber, Jah etc. while playing through the acts. Once, i got 2 Jah runes in 2 consecutive travi runs with my hork barb. What are the odds for that?

1 Like

It is a feature of randomness that drops come in streaks. Items occuring at fixed time intervals, that would not be random. Random meaning “Equal distribution” is a common misconception.

In other words, each drop chance is always truely independent of the next drop chance. The two drops do not “see” each other.

To put it even differently: For very low probabilies, your sample size will never be high enough that you can model the true chance based on your drops. You would need thousands of Jahs to see how your observed drop chance approaches the true chance.

But… with gems you CAN observe it. We have 6 gems (all except skull) with equal drop chances. So, simply collect six flawless gems. Obviously almost never you will have one from every type after you got only six. But collect 60, 600 and eventually 6000 and compare how their amounts gradually even out. And basically thats all that is to it.

1 Like

I perfectly agree. Its simply the gauss normal distribution, not more or less. Just enjoy the game and party when you get a HR. And if not, simply trade :slight_smile:

1 Like