Controller drift problem - PS4

I’ve just started playing D2 Resurrected and I find my character often just continues walking when I release the joystick. Same thing happens in menus and inventory with the cursor drifting.

Is there any way to adjust the deadzone? This happens with both my PS4 controllers, which function perfectly with all other games. This only happens in D2 resurrected.

Thanks.

Sometimes you can fix the controller if it’s not super worn out.

If you gently pull the analog sticks out (Not all the way out! just pull em) then shoot compressed air around the gaps; it will flush out the plastic dust/actual dust.

You can use your breath with lots of force but you look like a crazy person.

The PS3 analog sticks were absolute perfection. I miss them.

If your controller is very bad you can take small pieces of paper, fold them and slide them into the analog stick that is giving you trouble, I pad my joysticks with paper to stop stick drift on useless controllers.

Thanks guys but this isn’t a problem with the controllers. I’ve used them (and still using them now) with other games with ZERO problems whatsoever, including Path of Exile. It’s definitely 100% a Diablo 2 Resurrected issue.

2 Likes

Well it is the controller that is the issue.

Long read but worth it.

Every game that uses an analog stick has dead zones programmed in like you say in your first post.

The deadzones are not the same from game to game. Each game will set minimum deadzones (Un-touched) and maximum deadzone (Just before the stick hits edge)

When D2R was first realeased for PS4, the game had a very small minimum deadzone and I too had drift. In a patch they actually fixed the deadzone to be less sensitive and never mentioned it in the notes. They may have been conservative with how much larger the minimum deadzone was made.

Some games do give you amazing control over all the metrics of your controller. Apex Legends is a good example.

If you purchased a new controller you’d find that your drift is gone. Controllers are very expensive though and some people will actually pay the extra for warranties to get free replacement. Hardcore FPS players often replace their controllers 4 times a year.

I’d really try the compressed air method or even a shopvac to get the junk out from wear and tear. The plastic on plastic friction plus looser springs causes the little bits to stick like a speed bump; which moves the plunger just far enough at rest to register as movement in the analog stick and in game.

I have a controller graveyard where I’ve worn them all the way to broken. The textured grips were worn to a mirror finish by my hands and the air blasting doubled the life of the controller.

:grin: Don’t let those Sony fat cats get your money.

My ps5 left stick does the same. I figured I just wore it out super fast, I’ll have to try some maintenance.

i got 7 controllers , and it your controller the problem , when u press to hard it worn out and d2r seem to have higher sensibility on that.

i actually had this problem and thought my controller was broke … turned out my controller was too far away from my console , i moved the PS a bit closer to me ( as i sit on my sofa in the front room with the tv like 3-5m away ) and suddenly stopped .

Hope this is the same