Connectivity issues

Guys, been having a lot of lag, and disconnects of late. Everyone experiencing this, or is this some issue with my connection?
how do I figure this out.

After you reset your modem + router + PC there isn’t much more you can do, especially if you used to connect well before.

Connection test:

You’re looking for low latency, low jitter and no packet loss.

Packet loss (any at all) and significant ping jitter (higher than +/- 200 ms) are bad for Diablo 2 and will cause random disconnections, with a higher frequency of disconnections and up to being outright unplayable the worse they are.

Outside of ISP and beyond issues, both packet loss and ping jitter can be caused by local network/connection issues, such as flooding the allotted inbound or outbound bandwidth, faulty hardware, and if applicable the potential for interference with wireless connections.

the forum trolls will tell you to get better internet when most of us know that blizz servers are trash.

it’s like every 1/10 games my character will lag in game about 30 seconds after i leave. but… that’s on my end right guys? R O F L.

1 Like

Hi, That`s exactly what mine does, i have no solution.

Pay no attention to BadHabits… He’s just a resident forum troll who belittles everyone on the forums on whatever whim that suits him, and at any time. He has no clue how networking works, even though his PHD in BS has convinced himself otherwise.

Anyway, Diablo 2’s net code is the root problem. It’s horribly bad at handling problems relating to packet loss and/or high ping jitter. The net code relied on the technologies of the Dial Up Modem to provide a stable connection, and the fact that network traffic on the backbones back in 2000 aren’t anywhere close to what it is today, along with the DDoS activity. Blizzard should have done something to make the net code for the game better when they remastered the game, but they didn’t.

The lay person is quick to blame the servers… if that were the case, then EVERYONE would be having problems. I have an excellent connection, it’s only three hops away from the largest backbone in the USA. I can count only a handful of times where I was randomly disconnected outside of times where Blizzard was being DDoSed, and each time it was because there was some problem going on in my ISPs network that was causing packet loss.

I can tell you from experience that if you have any “adult entertainment media” on the same computer … it will cause latency and disconnects. Delete this stuff and use some type of proggie like Spybot to clean your computer up. It’ll make a helluva difference.

same here, very poor ping and disconnections, I have 1Tb internet