Community Feedback for Improving Itemization

Two-Handed Weapons

• Add innate ability to roll w/ Chance of Blocking (similar to the Swordguard)

I don’t think this is

+1~3 skill weapon block would be better for runewords option add than your skill (but only for axes)

2 Likes

The only thing I’d agree would need changes are two-handed axes. Outside of the Decapitator, they tend to be quite poor.

A Champion Axe, for instance, is super weak. They need more damage.

That, or make it so a barbarian can wield them one-handed like the swords.

1 Like

Really good post. I hope the devs look at it and implement changes like it.

Imo some of the armor/weapon buffs could go even further. Enigma and grief are just so busted compared to alternatives. Nothing is ever going to compete with teleport. It’s so easy to slap grief into a pb and hit max frames pretty much all elite uniques need and ias and damage boost to compete.

Obviously not everything has to compete on the same level as grief but melee are already kind of lagging behind. A bit of a buff might be a good change. Grief is also way to easy to make for its power. I’ve found multiple Lo runes but never even saw a grandfather or schaefers hammer drop yet. Same goes for windforce >.<

Medusas gaze could use a strength reduction too. Even if it’s changed to on striking no elemental char will crank that much str into it.

2 Likes

Agreed, and lowered required strength for equipping Medusa’s Gaze as shown below…

Medusa’s Gaze
Aegis
Defense: 405-453
Required Level: 76
Required Strength: 219
Durability: 92
+150-180% Enhanced Defense
5-9% Life Stolen Per Hit
Slows Target By 20%
Cold Resist +40-80%
10% To Cast Level 7 Lower Resist When Struck
100% To Cast Level 44 Nova When You Die

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Change Required Strength from 219 to 150
    • Change Lower Resist Cast from When Struck to On Striking

You can’t really just arbitrarily change the strength requirement as that requirement is set by the base item.

What you can do is add a -XX% Requirements affix, usually -20% or -30% Requirements. Which would be 176 or 154 strength respectively.

4 Likes

Thanks for keeping me honest and updated OP accordingly…

Medusa’s Gaze
Aegis
Defense: 405-453
Required Level: 76
Required Strength: 219
Durability: 92
+150-180% Enhanced Defense
5-9% Life Stolen Per Hit
Slows Target By 20%
Cold Resist +40-80%
10% To Cast Level 7 Lower Resist When Struck
100% To Cast Level 44 Nova When You Die

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add -30% Requirements
    • Change Lower Resist Cast from When Struck to On Striking

On a separate topic, I wanted to know your thoughts on below…

• Magic Rings
    • Add innate ability to roll w/ +1 to a Random Class Skill Tree, such as: +1 To Combat Skills (Paladin Only). This is limited to magic rings.
1 Like

Well, that is a massive advantage for Magic Rings over Rare Rings. On the other hand you are giving up so many additional possible attributes.

Already Magic Rings have the best possible Magic Find, so there is already a use case for Magic Rings over rares or uniques. This would probably just change that use case to +Skill Tree with +25% Magic Find as the main sought after magic rings.

Plus skills on a ring is just so massive that I’d probably prefer to do something more on the lines of increasing already existing affixes on rings rather than one such essential one as +skills.

Specifically:

1: Increase the Attack Rating range on Magic Rings. Currently both rare and magic rings can get up to 120 as a prefix and 30 as a suffix. Make it so Magic Rings have a range of up to 200 as a prefix and 60 as a suffix. That means you could get a Magic Ring with +260 AR, compared to the +150 on a Rare Ring.

2: Add a 10% Faster Cast Prefix only available on Magic Rings. Allowing you to get a Magic Ring with 20% Faster Cast (but nothing else).

3: Add up to +60 Life prefix and increase the range of the +Life Suffix up to +60 on Magic Rings only. Allowing Magic Rings to get up to +120 Life, compared to the +40 on Rare Rings.

Things like that.

3 Likes

I think it is possible to make major updates to the magic prefix and sulfix, I have already sent a correction of the requirement for these tables.

Other than that I have other considerations.
When crafting a glove you want to limit if possible to level 76, to surpass level 71 but at the same not get other totally unwanted properties, and this is against the principles of an RPG. the rewards should be bigger at higher levels.

Amulets for crafting for example the only effective place to farm is to gamble once you reach level 93. This is wrong, the question is to change the +2 class skill attributes to rlevel 85 or do we have areas with higher ilevel?

I don’t want to exhaust case by case here, but there’s a lot to improve and be tested before changing the tables that are the heart of the game and changing those tables include changing the magic items, rare and changing the entire game balance.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that rolling with +1 to a Random Class Skill Tree on a Magic Ring would be exceedingly rare, akin to finding a near perfect Tri-Res Rare Ring. Instead of making major updates to magic prefix/sulfix table, this could be balanced around rarity.

Adding a + Skill Tree affix is a major update to the magic prefix/suffix table. There is simply no way around that. If you want to propose something like that then the rest of the prefixes and suffixes are naturally effected.

Nor do I think it wise to try and balance something like this around rarity. Rarity can be used to place power levels in stages, grouping a power with other items of similar power. Adding a new affix that massively changes what kind of power is available is not something that can be balanced using rarity.

I’m not saying it’s impossible to add +Skill Trees to rings, but you need to think about what it means. Currently only two unique rings can add + Skills. It significantly limits ring choices.

If you add + Skill Tree as a possible affix, even if limited to Magic Rings, it greatly expands the options. For example, if you make it a prefix, then you could get a +1 Lightning Spells and 10% Faster Cast. Or you could get +1 Warcries with 25% Magic Find. The first ring would suddenly outpower most current caster rings. The second would probably significantly outshine a Nagelring.

On the other hand, if you make it a suffix, then you could get +120 Attack Rating with +1 Traps, or All Resistances +15% with +1 Shapeshifting.

These are significant additions to the current +skill possibilities which are basically Stone of Jordan (Mana), or Bul-Kathos (Life Steal and Life).

At the least I’d say that the + Skill Tree affix on rings should be a suffix and not a prefix.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and added note to the OP that new affix on magic rings should be a suffix and not a prefix. I also added a new section for Unique Boots & Gloves and would like your feedback as well…

BOOTS & GLOVES

Soul Drainer
Vambraces
Defense: 129-149
Required Level: 74
Required Strength: 106
Durability: 16
+90-120% Enhanced Defense
4-7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
4-7% Life Stolen Per Hit
-50 To Monster Defense Per Hit
8% To Cast Level 3 Weaken On Striking

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add Drain Life -25
    • Change 8% To Cast Level 3 Weaken On Striking to -7-15% To Enemy Physical Resistance

Shadow Dancer
Myrmidon Greaves
Defense: 122-144
Required Level: 71
Required Strength: 167
Durability: 24
+70-100% Enhanced Defense
+1-2 To Shadow Disciplines (Assassin Only)
+30% Faster Run/Walk
+30% Faster Hit Recovery
+15-25 To Dexterity
Requirements -20%

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +30% Increased Attack Speed

Steelrend
Ogre Gauntlets
Defense: 232-281
Required Level: 70
Required Strength: 185
Durability: 24
+170-210 Defense
+30-60% Enhanced Damage
+10% Chance of Crushing Blow
+15-20 To Strength

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Change Crushing Blow from +10% to +10-20%
    • Change Enhanced Damage from +30-60% to +90-120%

Marrowwalk
Boneweave Boots
Defense: 164-204
Required Level: 66
Required Strength: 118
Durability: 16
+170-200% Enhanced Defense
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+1-2 To Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
+10-20 To Strength
+17 To Dexterity
Regenerate Mana 10%
Heal Stamina Plus 10%
Half Freeze Duration
Level 33 Bone Prison (13 Charges)
Level 12 Life Tap (10 Charges)

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Change Half Freeze Duration to Cannot Be Frozen

Sandstorm Trek
Scarabshell Boots
Defense: 158-178
Required Level: 64
Required Strength: 91
Durability: 14
+140-170% Enhanced Defense
+20% Faster Hit Recovery
+20% Faster Run/Walk
+1-99 Maximum Stamina
+10-15 To Strength
+10-15 To Vitality
50% Slower Stamina Drain
Poison Resist +40-70%
Repairs 1 Durability In 20 Seconds

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +1-2 To Combat Masteries (Barbarian Only)
1 Like

I respect the effort you sunk into this, but at lot of these still won’t see any use. if you want a nickel’s worth of free itemization advice, focus on uniques doing truly unique, useful things.

For example; your idea of +Fire mastery being available to other classes is a really solid idea, and something uniques should more often. Other tweaks like Medusa’s Gaze casting LR on Striking rather than struck are just QoL tweaks that just make the item better.

For things you don’t want to do, see Gladiator’s Bane. Maybe it should add +to Iron Skin and Natural resistances for ALL classes, not just barbarian. Make it appealing to everyone. Items, particularly elite unique items, should make everyone say hey! I really want to equip this item, but maybe X item is still better for me, but…man, that is a really cool effect.

2 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly and updated OP accordingly…

The Gladiator’s Bane
Wire Fleece
Defense: 1255-1496
Required Level: 85
Required Strength: 111
Durability: 135
+150-200% Enhanced Defense
+50 Defense
Cannot Be Frozen
30% Faster Hit Recovery
Poison Length Reduced By 50%
Attacker Takes Damage Of 20
Damage Reduced By 15-20
Magic Damage Reduced By 15-20

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add +3-6 To Iron Skin
    • Add +1-3 To Natural Resistance
    • Change Required Level from 85 to 75
1 Like

These changes are more impactful than terror zones and sunder charms for Hardcore. These are great changes to the economy at all stages of the game.

3 Likes

What does the Drain Life -25 do? I don’t remember that effect anywhere else. I’d also rather not replace the Level 3 Weaken with minus Enemy Physical Resistance. I understand the desire to add minus Physical Resistance equipment what with the new Sunder charms, but it doesn’t fit thematically on Soul Drainer which is a defensive enemy debuff theme. Personally, the only change I would make to Soul Drainer would be to add Slows Target by 20%. Fits the name, fits the theme, and would make these useful gloves, particularly for an Amazon, but also potentially useful for a Barb or Druid Shapeshifter.

That seems very overpowered. Shadow Dancers are already one of the best boots for an Assassin Kicker aren’t they? Adding 30% IAS when no other boots have IAS is just overkill. I mean, right now if you want IAS from boots you’d use two piece Sigons, Boots and Gloves to get 30% IAS instead of the usual 20% you get from gloves. Putting 30% on boots standalone… that’s just crazy. If you absolutely have to have IAS on boots, I guess you could give it 10%, but I don’t really think Shadow Dancers needs it.

I like the increased range for Crushing Blow. Rather than more ED I’d suggest something like 10% Chance of Open Wounds, and -50 Monster Defense Per a Hit. Both effects work well for gauntlets named “Steelrend.”

I think the real issue is that Half Freeze Duration should stack. If you could wear two pieces of Half Freeze Duration and get Cannot Be Frozen that would really expand equipment choices.

Not really feeling the Barbarin connection here. If anything, this is a piece of equipment I’d consider adding minus Enemy Physical Resistance to. (I don’t know why but that to me feels to fit with the image of a Sandstorm). Probably something like -5% Enemy Physical Resistance.

My own thoughts on Boots:

My thoughts on Gloves:

Ghoulhide:
+2% Damage to Undead Per Character Level
+8 to Attack Rating Against Undead Per Character Level
4-5% Mana Steal
150-190% Enhanced Defense
+20 Life

• +2% Damage to Demons Per Character Level
    +8 to Attack Rating Against Demons Per Character Level
    4-5% Life Steal

Gravepalm:
100-200% Damage to Undead
100-200 to Attack Rating Against Undead
140-180% Enhanced Defense
+10 to Strength
+10 to Energy

• 8% Chance to Cast Level 1 Decrepify on Striking

Hellmouth:
4% Chance to Cast Level 12 Firestorm on Striking
2% Chance to Cast Level 4 Meteor on Striking
Adds 15-72 Fire Damage
150-200% Enhanced Defense
+15 Fire Absorb

• Increase Chance to Cast Firestorm to 40%
    Increase Chance to Cast Meteor to 20%
    Add -10% Enemy Fire Resistance

Lava Gout:

• Increase Chance to Cast Enchant to 5%

Venom Grip:
+60 Poison Damage Over 4 Seconds
5% Life Steal
5% Crushing Blow
130-160% Enhanced Defense
15-25 Defense
+5% Maximum Poison Resist
Poison Resist +30%

• Add -10% Enemy Poison Resistance

As you can see, I tend to think Uniques ought to have O-skills. That makes them different from things like rares. I think plus Skills on uniques ought to be O-skills, while things like Staff mods should not be.

3 Likes

I’m completely OK with that. Another good example is “Rising Sun” have +Fire Mastery. Amazons, Druids and maybe even Necromancers would love having +Fire Mastery around where they could get it.

Dwarf Star I’d throw +1 to Fire skills on in a heartbeat.

Maybe Saracen’s Chance could occasionally cast “Find Item”.

4 Likes

Drain Life is on Malice runeword, but nevermind I removed it. For Soul Drainer, I added Slows Target by 20% as it seems fitting as you mentioned.

For Shadow Dancers, I added 10% IAS.

Agreed. Under General Changes, I have the following change…

• Half Freeze Duration
    • Now stacks multiplicatively. For example, 2 pieces gives you 1/4 duration, 3 pieces gives you 1/8 duration, and so on. Of course, CBF is still the ultimate goal

Agreed. For Sandstorm Trek, the proposed buff is minus enemy physical resistance.

2 Likes
  1. Yes, it’s totally more impactful, and one of the reasons why I continue to answer this topic is because I understand the importance of something purposeful, even though I don’t agree with everything that is proposed for the reform of the items, it is necessary and that’s why I’m helping to fuel the discussion.

2. Game has already had huge changes, but the most significant was from version 1.09 to 1.10 and for being an excellent game, but it was obviously an incomplete game delivered, and the updates from version 1.11 to 1.14 were not very significant.

3. Runewords dominate weapons, chests, shields and helmets. Even so, the balance between some useful and others useless. Even though it’s the most finished system in the game, it needs balance as I’ve mentioned in other topics, but it doesn’t make it to the top of the priority list.

4. The crafting system was poorly thought out in the game, it uses the rare table, but it limits what can be done too much. Weapon system for physical builds is simply not working, and the weapon rares table doesn’t help at the end of the game and there is still a system for increasing the level requirement when building a similar rare item. from 13 to 22 more levels of level requirement for a similar rare item prevents the created item from being used for leveling, add this to the premise given on the classic battle net website that the premise of 75% and several attributes are with the lines wrong application, you have practically a totally underutilized system.

5. Set system has been improved a little but nothing significant and the main wound which is Trangs has not been changed.

6. Two-handed weapons is another case to resolve, for melee characters, and the two-handed weapon to caster vs. spirit weapon and shield set ratio in which the spirit set always wins.

7. And last but not least, the unique items in the game haven’t gone through any revisions that I can remember since version 1.07

Sorry for the wall of text, but this is how I see the big picture of the game.

2 Likes

Found my first ever grandfather today. Feels bad it’s garbage.

4 Likes

It’s really a shame that one of the most nostalgic items in the game, The Grandfather, feels like garbage. I really hope the developers consider buffing it to be an OG end-game weapon for the Barbarian…

The Grandfather

• Proposed Buffs:
    • Add Ethereal (increase damage)
    • Add 1-3 Open Sockets (customization)
    • Add 5% To Experience Gained (fits namesake)
    • Change Required Level from 81 to 75 (earlier access)
3 Likes