Cold Sorc dead now (again)?

Dear D2 Resurrected Team,

you can’t just flat nerf cold mastery to 1/5 effectiveness and call it balance.
Due to the rather low base damage of cold abilities, the cold spec is based around getting enemie’s cold resistance very low.
It’s like nerfing lightning or fire mastery to 1/5 effectiveness against immunes (which would be indeed a real balance between all sorc specs cold, lightning and fire).

So for the next season some suggestions from which you can choose one:

• revert this nerf or make cold mastery at least 80% effective against immunes
  • complete rework cold mastery to bring it in line with fire and lightning mastery (x% damage increase or a combination of y% damage and -res)
  • increase the base damage of cold abilities and let cold mastery just give -1 res per skill point (with 100% effectiveness against immunes).

Same for FoH-Paladins. FoH itself deals very low damage and hugely depends on resistance lowering by conviction aura.

4 Likes

I played a sorc last season both nova and blizzard. Blizzard is in a tough spot because last year and a cold sunder I could do almost any content in mostly mf gear , no need to get beyond an infinity. This year I needed a doom to feel a fraction of that power and I still haven’t gotten to where I was. I think as far as investment goes you definitely need more invested in the cold sorc to do some content, the payout is much less high though when you get further into budget and factoring in something like Griff’s and infinity l, then you’re far behind the other two.

I’d like to see cast rate offer some cool down deduction for orb and blizzard, find something that gives you the feeling of power like the other two when you’re BiS becausee it really doesn’t feel great. It has definitely been humbling to see this season the obstacles that other classes had to overcome that the cold sorc didn’t really have to worry with. Since I just started back last season from many years ago sunders were new to but all I’ve known since returning

2 Likes

Reducing or eliminating the cooldown on Frozen Orb gets a massive upvote from me. I don’t like the skill Blizzard and just want to use Frozen Orb. It’s a fun animation, etc. but damage isn’t amazing. (You can really feel it struggle in higher player counts.) The 1s cooldown is a huge part of that.

A (chain-)lightning sorc with just low budget Crescent Moon equipped can also farm everything, at least in solo games. Nova is more of a late game thing with good fcr and defense required.
The sad thing about that is that this light sorc has less problems with immunes than cold sorc currently has :frowning:

1 Like

Yes or they could just increase the ice bolt synergy damage from a crappy 2% to 3-5%.
At the same time, this it what makes FO an excellent second element damage skill (eg. hydra-orb) of you don’t want to be single element.

What they should do is just get rid of sunders completely.

2 Likes

But then would lightning sorc be the only useful build again and hammerdin returns.
I really enjoy fire crossbow sorc (maybe bit too op) :slight_smile:

Frost nova and Frozen orb were both viable to play on Season 2, now you nerfed the whole tree just to make sure blizzard isnt broken. way to brick all cold builds just to fix 1 build
. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO PLAY BLIZZARD.

2 Likes

lighting has always been better for pvm and killing then cold, with cresent moon u can destory everything with a sunder charm, and with a insight merc never run out of mana. There are less items that give - cold res to enemies and the ones that boost dmage/negative res are extreamly expesnive. They nerf should have only been only 50 percent of cold mastery not 1 out of 5.

Has anyone tried Voice of Reason (on top of sunder) for its -cold resistance?

I’m not playing this game since this nerf.
I don’t have any other stats revert point and my time from my own life is wasted for nothing.
Thanks Blizzard, I am not wasting my time anymore with games.
That was my favorite game from my childhood and now I hate it because is “balanced”.