Cold Mastery breaks immunities

Good job, honestly. I was waaaay to lazy for that. I’m more on board with it knowing it takes the 1/5 hit as well. It’s still crazy good, maybe a little too good, we’ll see.

1 Like

Reason I think it should (and thus was bugged in d2) is that no where in the description does it say it “can’t” break immunities. If im not mistaken it states “Pierces the resistance of the enemies” or something like that. Thus it SHOULD pierce cold immune if it can.

5 Likes

Hammerdins, cough… cough…

2 Likes

this was actually one skill that was broken in OG. cold mastery was ment to break immunity but not all. it didnt work right in the OG. so say a mob is 200% immun you would then need to have -101% res to even do any dmg even then not much. in D2R this is working as it was ment to.

4 Likes

yes it is running under the graphics overlay thats on top that runs the new graphics you are seeing. game is still running the OG engine all timing of attacks are still based on 25fps. new overlay lets you run its engine at a higher fps 60+. where the game under this graphics overlay is still running at 25fps. this is also why many players have issues getting attacked/killed during loading screens the OG underneath is loaded in and running before the graphics layer even shows you the zone on screen.

2 Likes

It is because the guy complaining is the guy that sits in a basement and presses G every new mf farm game.

imun monster a bad designe? lol?

that’s what prevent a type of char to be overpowered and we have way around it

any char has that (phys imun for a barb and so on) (exept the hammerdin pretty much xD)

3 Likes

Think the biggest problem is that Blizzard was massively buffed during the time that CM did not break Immunes, now they A) break or B) fix CM and the already incredible strong build becomes outright OP.

So A) fix CM or B) leave it like this but nerf Blizzard (on possibly some other skills like Frozen Orb) to the point it no longer outshines all other sorc builds.

But Hammerdins are OP as well you say? Doesn’t mean you have to make another build OP, means you should nerf the hammerdin.
Buffing a build because you overbuffed another is D3 style balancing and got the game to the point where they they cannot make the monster strong enough for the max builds and have to sell sorry GR 150 is max because the engine can take more.

2 Likes

It’s not even that crazy OP, I got -160% on CM. It takes me a good 3-4 minutes to even kill the Blood Lords around in Mephisto’s throne room. Countess HP does not even budge (But she does get slowed)

6 Likes

If a mob had +200% cold immune, you would need -1000 resist to break that (immunity breaking works at -5% resist per -1% when over 100%). A monster with 130% cold resist would need FIRST -150% resist to break the immunity before it goes -1% per -1%.

Due to how CM only affects Cold spells, it wont remove the immune tag since that would imply that anyone with a cold spell would be able to damage it then, it keep the cold immune tag since your not breaking the monster’s BASE immunity. Infinity (i believe) works exactly the same way breaking lightning immune but doesn’t remove the tag.

1 Like

Didn’t they nerf hammerdins in late 1.1x in DII original? I think they can’t break magic immunity even when it’s undead/demon.

Once the +damage % to demons/undead on blessed hammer would surpass immunity, then it didn’t anymore. I tested it this year I think.

+Damage% is ENTIRELY different then resists. a monster with 100% resist should always take 0 damage even if you have MILLIONs of % damage. I dont think this is related to CM since CM affects resists, +damage does NOT affect Magic immunities (or any immunity for that matter)

1 Like

My guess would be they united the functions for modifying resistances and this was the side effect.

But yes this change is absoultely bonkers. Cold sorc is already the strongest build in the game, this just pushes it over the top.

To be fair, i think it is not necessary to remove this mechanic. It can be balanced in other way - by increasing the resistances of cold immune monsters even higher. This way, it is clear and consistent what skill do.

1 Like

it does however let you farm nihlathak with very high success rate, unlike before (where he would be cold immune 2/3 of the times)

1 Like

This is good. Inconsistent “This random thing breaks immunities but not this other, exact same ability” was bad. It’s fixed.

4 Likes

It did affect blessed hammer. I could mow down every enemy except wailing beasts in Hell Kurast. Blessed hammer ignored magic immunity on demons and undead up until some patch, but back in 2012 (not sure) I was still playing Bnet and my hammerdin could only lose to uber/pandemonium/burning souls.

I also played a hammerdin a couple years ago in single player without issue (apart from what mentioned above).

Well except as noted before the fact that you CAN kill them with cold is already an enormous game changer, those numbers don’t tell the full story.
The effectiveness of this “new” function depends on many factors and a hypothetical would be more useful imo.
I think the maximum possible is -280, but this isn’t a realistic number, -250 is if you get a fully cold spec with great gear (not including facets as, not sure how these interract with this, but could make it worse), but to make it clear if you push the mastery (which wasn’t done because extra didn’t help but will be done now) your 160 is not very high eventually.
Say you did 3 min (or 180 second) to kill the pack, but the pack kept 95% of the resist with your CM (not sure if this is the case, but thats why hypo, problem is we have to little info).
Say some else could push the res to 75%, they would take 36 second to kill the same pack, because their effective damage is 5x yours.
As far as I understood CM as it is now does not react like Lower Res or Conviction, how far can it bring down the res and do facets -5% function with it, will it lower the res even more if the immunity is “broken” or will they register Immune (fact that the immunity are still marked as immune makes this pretty unsure I think).
Anyways, the fact that we don’t know the effective res that your pack had, makes it impossible to really determine how effective it is exactly, but to me its clear its pretty damn good and this is added to an already very solid build.

1 Like

Well I am a cold sorc and I diddnt notice that, wasnt able to kill any cold immunes with “cold mastery maxed” ???

Neither a friend of me could kill them and he’s also a cold sorc lvl 90 with cold mastery maxxed

Must be magic

3 Likes

The hammerdin old bug was a different mechanic if i remember (due to the damage% for specific types). This is a resist mechanic which is different.

Doesn’t work for me. Mine is maxxed, like level 24-25…

1 Like