Cold Mastery breaks immunities

Sorceress skill Cold Mastery breaks monster immunities, meaning it works even for monsters that have over 100% Cold Immunity - in original D2:LOD only Lower Resist and Conviction were able to do this - this makes the Cold Sorceress pretty overpowered.

7 Likes

shhhhhh

No… seriously though, this isnt on par with how original was. It should be fixed at least in the current release. There should only be 4 skills capable of breaking immunity, and cold mastery is not one of them

2 Likes

Honest question, what’s wrong with it breaking cold immune if it requires heavy investment in gear and into cold mastery to do so, similar to infinity? Having immune monsters is kind of a bad design idea to begin with, especially dual immune. Should a solo sorc that’s dual spec need to reset their game if something they need to kill is cold/fire immune?

21 Likes

How is this even possible with “D2” being run in the background.

1 Like

The way the tooltip is written, it sounds like it should be breaking immunities. It’s possible the fact that it hasn’t has always been a bug, and they fixed it without realizing the impact.

15 Likes

You have got to be kidding me… THATS AMAZING ORBSORC IS MY FAVE!
Pretty broken though, ya. RRRRRReally really broken.

1 Like

^ This.
It reads as it should exactly do what its doing now. Also why should it not do this? Its not like CM ignores or removes immunity, it feels like 5-10% of your damage is going through. Does not feel overpowered.

16 Likes

Breaking an immune=Removing it essentially. The hit wouldn’t even register before so CM couldn’t take effect, but AFTER breaking the immune you could damage it and CM negative resist applied. You can now damage cold with just cold because the hit registers. It’s really overpowered, because now there are certain enemies that couldn’t be broken that can be. Read that last part again. Enemies you could NEVER kill with cold can now be killed with cold.

This needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

So they finnally fixed the og bug? That’s nice! cold mastery tooltip is identical to conviction and lower resist, so it should do the same.

Also is not gamebreaking, those abilities still do like 5% of the damage they do to not inmunes.

24 Likes

Is this a new bug or they fixed an old one?
Besides the merc still does all the job, but now some immunes can be frozen

The tooltip might say “you could never kill…”, but read it up on the Arreat Summit… Many tooltips are in misguiding in one way or another.

I think this is a bugfix not a bug. All -res is actually lowering res now.

16 Likes

This bug needs to be addressed urgently, as it throws the game’s balance completely. Cold Mastery breaking immunity would be severely overpowered.

3 Likes

LOL cold mastery is actually lowering resistance now. This is a good change. There are too many discrepancies in this game in regards to things that state the exact same thing and their function. Lower resist and conviction lowering resists on immunes by 1/5 effectiveness should be emulated by anything else that states lower resist. I believe that this is quite intentional. They probably need a balance pass on the game. Paladins and sorcs are going to rule every ladder otherwise. This doesn’t change that much as sorcs could just run pindle or AT and be super efficient regardless with teleport. I don’t think that after breaking cold immunes chaos running with a blizz sorc will be as good as AT or pindle with cold sorc. Teleport is a broken spell that will make the sorc the best starter pick regardless unless there is a change and smite will always be the best for ubers unless there are changes LOLOL. A hdin with a tele staff I am sure would clear chaos faster than a cold sorc breaking immunes with high resistances remaining LOL. Making game logic stupid to balance something is stupid. Balance is already not the same as D2 and that is good as the trapsin received a buff and a slight change to NHAM.

15 Likes

I know about breaking Cold Immunes… Did you even read my post? There are monsters you cannot break, now you can. Read FallenOsiris’s post he as least has a grasp on the subject. CM doesn’t take a 1/5 effectiveness hit. I think that makes Cold immunes non-existent. Let’s use a Frozen Abyss with 210 Cold resist, the strongest Cold resist I could find on a basic monster, as an example. With CV and LR you lower the resist to around 170, still immune. With CM level 20 you lower it 115% bringing it down to 95%, now no longer immune. You can still run into cold enchanted monsters with natural resists that make they immune but as far as mobs go, nope. I think with Death’s Fathom, Cold faces, LR and CV you might be able to break every cold immune in the game, if not at least 95-99% of them.
Edit: Actually I’m an idiot, you can boost CM to high enough level that you can break everything.

i hope they fix this. blizz sorc is already the single most effective mf char early on. and now that CM is capable of breaking cold immunity by itself, the blizz sorc has received a massive buff.

we shouldn’t be buffing the character that is already the single most effective char early on. everyone already plays blizz sorc at the start anyway.

2 Likes

I hope it stays… It is not like you can do MASSIVE damage to cold immunes. I was able to kill shenk with a merc in Hell, but i still had chip away at him with merc help.

100% is max… If your cold mastery does -120%, then it SHOULD break their immunity… This sounds more like a fix than anything. A light and fire sorc can break immunity with infinty, then why can’t a cold sorc?

9 Likes

100% is not the max resist for monsters. for example, the Oblivion knight in hell difficulty has 180% cold res.

LR and conviction work as stated for monsters that are resistant to a given element, but they work at 1/5 of their value for monsters that are immune to a given element. this is intentional.

Cold mastery was also subject to the 1/5 penalty for immune monsters in D2. i don’t think it’s a good change. why make the best build (for early game) even better?

2 Likes

100% should stay in the game. This game punishes you from every angle in hell, in no way is this game breaking when you see hammerdins deleting every mob in seconds.

14 Likes