Chipped Gems in Hell

Or another option would be simply to add cube recipes to shatter gems to allow you to turn a higher gem into multiple lower gems. That would actually have zero impact on anyone. No drop rates would change, and if you don’t want to do it then don’t do it. But its just stupid that chipped gems are more rare in practice than flawless gems.

Something like 1 gem of X level + 1 normal mace weapon of any quality or level = 3 gems of the lower level.

1 Like

id be more for taking lower tier runes off the drop table in hell before adding chipped to it…

It would affect rune drops(ironic), as well as charm drops as they are all in the same treasure class.

They would have to shave off the chances of the other gem grades to make this happen. It would not affect the other drops from the treasure class.

1 Like

id be more for taking lower tier runes off the drop table in hell before adding chipped to it…

Well yeah, that too. The point is, don’t provide only part of the ingredients for a recipe. Either stop dropping or significantly reduce the dropping of El-Thul, or provide the other part of the recipe to cube them. Making people spend hours in Normal wasting time, OR just throwing low level runes away because the other (supposedly more common) ingredient is too rare, is just stupid.

In the thread below to improve crafting, we have discussed adding a new recipe to break down higher quality gems into lower quality gems using a hammer of any kind. This recipe would have loss built into it acquiring only 1-2 gems of lower quality. This recipe would be useful in a pinch, but inefficient enough that players would consider other options.

Gem Break Recipe

• Hammer (any kind) + Gem (other than chipped) = 1-2 Gems (of lower quality)
2 Likes

Because if a chipped gem drops… a flawless gem doesn’t. Flawless are worth cubing to perfect and get used for crafting things that are actually worthwhile. Unlike having a collection of 47 Dol runes.

Im not in favour of it, but if this needs to be done, remove gems as a cubing requirement for runes altogether - instead of messing up gem drop chances.

1 Like

Yep… I’ve been wanting this for a long time…

Might as well make it 2x runes to upgrade across the board as well.

We all know that it won’t happen though.

“TASRED”

Because if a chipped gem drops… a flawless gem doesn’t.

These are solvable issues. Just increase the overall gem drop rate to make it so the same number of higher quality gems drop on average.

Or again, just add a recipe to break gems.

1 Like

And in the meantime before something (probably never) happens…

Farm Act 1 normal. Plenty of chipped gems will drop.

That’s the level of control that you have. If you ignore it, then that is your choice.

If you make chipped gems drop more, you also make charms drop less… which changes the entire endgame. It has to drop SOMETHING from that table when it doesn’t roll no-drop. More chance for chipped means less chance for other things. They aren’t going to rework how drop mechanics work to add in some more useless chipped gems lol.

As for the crafting recipe… sure why not. It’s useless, but if it makes people happy go for it.

I’m gonna say you’re wasting time even bothering cubing up the smaller runes.

Will agree that a recipe should exist to break gems.
Don’t think chipped gems should be entertained in hell games taking up space with a higher drop chance.
Will remind you the devs most likely will never implement anything like a gem breaking recipe.
Will remind you that you can farm normal cows all day and nobody is stopping you.

Edit: Will also remind you the flawless gems you’d probably seek to break down would have much more value in crafting and rerolling baal GCs.

Think about this: Would you trade 3 chipped amethysts for a single Amn rune? No one would. But would you trade 5 flawed emeralds for a Pul? Would you trade 10 rubies for a Vex, 20 flawless emeralds for a Zod?

In the equation, the relative value of the gems is far higher for Amn - Io. No one would trade 3 chipped amethysts for a Amn, because everyone will have far more Thul’s than chipped amethysts, so if they had 3 chipped amethysts they would just convert them to Amns if they wanted to. But as soon as you get to Lum, anyone would trade a dozen flawed gems for a Lum.

Clearly, the ratio of the components if out of whack. There aren’t enough chipped gems in teh economy of the game. It doesn’t mater if you don’t think that converting mid-level runes is worth it or not, the fact is that there aren’t nearly enough chipped gems in circulation for the recipes to make sense. Beyond the fact of how many it takes to get from A to Z, there is a reason no one bothers to cube up mid-level runes, because no one has the gems to do it.

1 Like

Actually there are enough chipped gems in circulation. Nobody collects them because nobody cares to waste their time doing so, even if you’d pay a Lum for them. Most people are out here not even picking up lem/ko/lum runes this far into ladder and certainly not at all on non ladder. Your perception is circumstance. You want to upgrade all your runes, but that wasn’t the intended mechanic behind the upgrade recipe. Not everyone is trying to cube all their low runs up to a ZOD.

The point of the mechanic is that if you are unlucky for whatever reason you could upgrade runes to get the ONE rune you need if you find the proper components. Thats the thing about “circulation” too. The only things that circulate are items of actual value after a certain point. People keep some chipped gems early on because they might need to do an upgrade, but very shortly into ladder those chipped gems don’t even get muled. They get dumped on the ground and never picked up again. Just like how right now you struggle to find worthless chipped gems I would struggle to find someone with all the disciple set to trade me. It has nothing to do with their drop rate and everything to do with their value or lack there of.

Edit: Will also remind you the flawless gems you’d probably seek to break down would have much more value in crafting and rerolling baal GCs.

Yeah. Regardless, you shouldn’t have to farm Normal to get what is supposed to be one of the most common and easy to obtain components. Saying “farm normal” is absurd.

Farming Normal to get chipped gems is a colossal waste of time. When you farm Hell, (which is also arguably a waste of time) at least you have opportunity to get many beneficial things (including XP), of which gems are just a small part of that equation.

When farming Normal, there is nothing of value to get, other than just chipped gems, which are not worth the time and effort. That’s the whole point.

The point is that the resources it takes to be able to do the cubbing recipe for runes Amn-Lum are actually more laborious, or requires a biggest investment in opportunity cost, than the farming for the components of Ko+.

Which again, is why everyone says “Just throw those runes away”. Everyone says to just vendor those runes because getting the gems needed to cube them isn’t worth the time/effort. It shouldn’t be the case that the opportunity cost of crafting low-mid-level items is GREATER than the opportunity cost of crafting higher level items. It is only this way because chipped gems don’t drop (or super rarely drop) in Hell.

And talk about the drop rates is stupid. They can be anything. Saying that chipped gems in Hell would take away from other gems is total nonsense. They can change the drop rates however they want. They can make the average yields of other gems the same, while also introducing the drop of more chipped gems. This isn’t rocket science.

1 Like

You should be asking for them to remove gems as a requirement for upping runes.

I find less El runes in my Hell countess runs too. I’m not mad.

Thing is it is perfectly fine that once you’re farming hell you give up on collecting el runs as well as chipped gems. It is this way because by that time you simply won’t need them as much. Saying farming normal isn’t absurd in the least. I don’t find any of those low tier health potions either, but I’m not mad at it. Why? Cuz they shouldn’t be in the hell drop table.

When you farm hell your goal is to find the very best in the game as far as items. That is why it is more difficult than normal. Finding trash like chipped gems and el runes isn’t exciting and would detract from the hard work you had to put in. Meanwhile they did give you an option to go back to normal to farm for trash if that is what you really want to waste your time on. Switch to an orb sorc, hop into a P8 game, go to cows and you’ll have mules of chipped gems.

Wrong when farming normal there is nothing of value to get PERIOD, including chipped gems. You weird fetish of cubing on runes will never be given consideration tbh.

There is no opportunity cost in creating low/mid level runewords wdym? You’re literally detracting from higher value pursuits in order to cube up runes that have zero potential value when compared to the time spent EVEN if chipped gems were more abundant. Sure if you collect every el eld ith eth tir rune you might be able to cube some more rals, but the time invested would net you less crafing materials than just running countess.

Btw drop rates isn’t nonsense. It isn’t about taking away a chance of a flawless. If they’re represented decently in the pool the drop rate is still applied. That is one drop wasted on an unvaluable wothless item. Monsters have a chance to drop a certain number of items. In the case where a chipped gem dropped something else or anything else could have been dropped instead which would have been a much better outcome for everyone else in the game other than yourself with your eternal fetish of finding chipped gems to cube low runes. Sure drop chances isn’t rocket science, but you still seem to struggle to grasp how it works.

See baddad aka bravata this is actually a good idea.

First, not required for all the drop chance stuff noted above.

The real problem with this discussion is for the most part (my perception) this form is full of folks that run specialized characters that seem to drop mid/high runes on an acceptable basis.
They don’t magic-find/rune-hunt with crappy characters, much less any melee build.
They have studied the game, know all the maths, breakpoints etc etc…
As such they are a huge resource, and I have learned a great deal from several forum members.
Now… they do not relate to average Joe (me, and maybe you) that plays a couple hours a day, on a character they enjoy, as nothing more than a distraction from life/time-filler.
Since they have dedicated rune-hunters, and know all the maths to extract the highest probability for success, they simply don’t get holding onto a El, 'cause, you can roll 3 of them for an Eld… etc etc.
They will quote the math on how many thousand El’s it takes… while seemingly ignoring you are not simply hording El’s, you are just rolling 3 up at a time (never having more than 2 in your stash)… meanwhile you are still getting some mid/high runes here and there, that sit and wait their turn.
Their mentality is, I need a million bucks, why would I collect 1 dollar at a time… and through character builds, and run strategy, it works for them.
For the average Joe, playing a non-OP build, and simply enjoying a distraction from life and killing some monsters… ya, I’ll hold onto that low rune…
I have picked up a Tir that has netted me a Sol… and picked up a Sol that has landed me at Pul…
It blows their mind that you would waste space to do so… because they have builds that land Ist-Vex more often than regular Joe’s land a Sol.

Plenty of chipped gems drop in hell.
Stop rolling them up.
Always keep a minimum of 2 in stash.
Roll up the higher ones to Perfect and sell 12-15 Pamy’s (or Prubies) for an Ist… 35 mixed Pgems are also worth an Ist.
There is no reason playing Hell you cannot always have at least 2 of every chipped gem in you stash… unless you are rolling them prematurely.

I only play 2 characters… both are melee based Pally’s… they share most of their gear, so, I’ve not had to roll a lot of different stuff… and the game has been out for, what, 2.5 years now?
By rolling runes and selling Pgems/junk-jewels I’ve built the wealth to roll several Grief’s, Fortitude’s, couple Enigmas, a Faith, a LastWish, 2 Exiles, and most recently a Mist… and some lower level stuff.
It has taken 2 and a half years as a casual to do so.

This might not be the game for you.
Either dig into the mechanics/maths and build characters to reap the benefits…
Or;
Enjoy a 2.5 years journey doing what a lot of these guys do in a 4-month ladder season.

I don’t mean to be a jack-o-lantern, but… there comes a point when you accept your station in life (I mean the game)…

Chipped gems drop fine in hell, stop rolling them up.
If you need a chipped gem, go run a mule for a couple hours in normal. (I find lowly mules are better at dropping c.gems in normal than your main character)
If you never(exaggeration, very very very rarely) see a high rune drop, then by all means roll the junk runes - welcome to the club/slow-lane.
If all of that is a problem, you are not ready for ladder. (I’ll join you in non-ladder play) or maybe this game at all.

Take Care… hang onto those chipped gems.

1 Like

Why should they customise the game to you only? Majority does not want to see chipped gems in Hell. YOU want chipped gems go to normal or trade one of your runes for chipped gems. EASY!

1 Like