Chipped Gems in Hell

Please, please, please significantly increase the drop rate of chipped gems in Hell. I’ve got dozens of Thul and Amn rune and nothing to do with them, because I can’t find chipped gems. I’ve spent literally hours farming Normal Act 1, and even then I can’t get enough chipped gems to keep up with the low level runes. Having to waste time in Normal is also absurd. Chipped gems should be one of the easiest things to get, but instead they are actually rarer than the runes you need to transmute!

I’m now trading Amn runes 1 or 1 for chipped Topaz! I mean come on!

2 Likes

please just shut up…

1 Like

Absurd request. If you want chipped gems, go back to normal difficulty.

10 Likes

Stop hording useless things. You get soooo many Thul-Hel runes as drops that you can never use them all anyway.

“You get soooo many Thul-Hel runes as drops that you can never use them all anyway.”

Lol, you could if you had chipped gems!

Really chipped gems are about the only items that DON’T drop in Hell. All the low level runes still drop, low level gear still drops. Why are El - Io runs dropping in Hell if the necessary components to convert them aren’t also dropping along with them?

I don’t understand why anyone would be opposed to having chipped gems drop in Hell? Do people want to spend hours farming Normal or do people want to just throw away runes?

1 Like

Because you don’t need to convert them… because they already drop?

It’s a relic from the early days when runes were actually rare.

Finish the sentence:
Chipped gems dropping in Hell about as often as the runes El-Thul would hurt gameplay by…

1 Like

If you need chipped gems, go farm normal act 1.

dev’s please make a mob named baddad that only drops chipped gems and has a billion health.

1 Like

Are you suggesting you want more chipped gems to upgrade low runes to mid/high runes…?

If yes then I suggest you look at the maths for upgrading runes as it is ridiculous to hoard low mid runes for upgrading.

For example you would need 1,417,176 Thuls to create 1 Ist.
Lets move a bit closer, Hel, it’ll still take 5,832 of them to create 1 Ist

Only ones remotely worth keeping to upgrade are Ko/Fal, and only if you are trying to stack a bunch of Lems for a GF Barb

Amns are useful in a variety of formulas. So being able to convert Thuls to Amns isn’t worthless.

But again, what is the harm is having chipped gems drop in Hell so you don’t have to either: waste time farming Normal or simply throw runes away because you can’t convert them due to lack of gems?

I fail to see how having all of the components needed to use a formula actually dropping in Hell would be anything but good. Why have a formula if you aren’t going to supply one of the necessary components of it?

1 Like

we have enough clutter and what would the chipped drop replace? it’s a problem.

it’s pretty easy to run around act 1 on a level 20 pally with holy fire/cold/light

I mean there’s 3 recipes and you are definitely gonna have more Amns then bases.
There’s a few decent runewords but how many of these do you need to make, and for crafting you are gonna be dropping amns faster then you can get the specific pgems required.

Upgrading runes is helpful at start of ladder (first couple of hours of ladder) or maybe doing SSF. Once you hit nm/hell if you are lookin for chipped gems to upgrade your low runes then you are not really spending your time wisely.

1 Like

I used to be like you… 2 pages of shared stash, combining all these low runes with gems, thinking I’m getting ahead….

And then I realized It takes 243 Thul runes to make a single Dol rune.

Let go, man. Free yourself from low rune slavery. Your time is better spent hunting down uniques and clearing chaos, than fiddling with low runes at your box… not to mention it’s hella more fun.

At the end of the day you’re playing a game. It’s supposed to be fun above all else.

Cubing up low runes to try and get higher runes is both a huge waste of time and waste of space. The ONLY time you would make an exception is when your character is still relatively fresh, and you need for example an AMN rune to complete your Spirit Sword… Or a SOL to complete your Insight polearm… And you happen to have the lower runes to create them.

After that, all you need to do is keep two of each lower rune on hand, with an exception for Tal, Ral, Thul and Amn for socketing and crafting, which I usually try to keep 6 of each on hand. Sell the rest.

Runes Pul and above are worthy of hoarding.

If you want to cube up runes, go ahead…it’s your game time

Chippies - you should just neve cube them up and snag every one as you level. Then when you run out head back to normal and help the kiddies out and grab all the chippies you want.

I will sell you my stash of chipped gems for 2 ber

How about the change the cube squish recipie so that it would work with any quality of gems. Then he could squish the low level junk and yhis topic doesnt need a repeat.

Regardless, I fail to see how increasing the drop rate of chipped gems in Hell would have any negative impact on anyone, and would make it easier to cube up runes for people who want to.

If there were no gem requirement up through Io, why wouldn’t anyone cube them up? The only reason people don’t is because they don’t have the gems to do it with. It’s “not worth it” because getting the gems to do it is more difficult than getting the runes, which is the whole point of this thread.

I don’t think the intention of the formula was to make cubing up runes too difficult due to being constrained by a low level common drop (in Normal). But, as it turns out in practice, getting the chipped gems is actually the biggest obstacle to cubing up runes in the whole game.

Once you get to Io, and Flawed Gems, then cubbing gets much easier, because everyone has more than enough Flawed Gems on hand. The irony is that the lower level gems are rarer than the higher ones, because no one wants to waste time tooling around in Normal just to get gems.

All of the talk about how many runes you have to cube to make an Ist or whatever are totally beside the point. The point is that the lower level gems are actually the rarest gems to drop in Hell, where everyone spends time, which is exactly what makes cubing mid-level runes not worth it. If there were gems to cube them with, it would be worth it.

For runes Io+ you end up with way more gems than runes. For Io+ you always have more than enough gems to cube the runes. But for Thul-Hel you end up with may more runes than gems. This is stupid and makes no sense.

1 Like