Character ordering on the select screen

Before January I played on my older PC and the character selector showed me the recently used characters properly, even when I logged out.

Since early January playing on my new PC the ordering changed to - I think - the creation date of each chars. My very first character is a Druid that is now in Non-Ladder and I have not played with it for quite some time now. The newly created Ladder Sorc is always at the bottom of the list, and I can only see her at the top until I log out of the game and close the BNet client.

Has something changed or is this a bug? On my new PC I installed a brand new version of the game, but now it is on a different drive than it was on my old PC. Can this be a reason why the ordering is messed up?

1 Like

Not sure, it is still ordering characters based on last use for me and I am also on PC

1 Like

I am a developer and this is why my first and only guess is that the difference could be in the drive letters. On my old PC the game was installed onto my C drive, but on my new PC it is now installed on drive D. I did not copy-paste any files, so I dont really see how things like file cache could cause this problem. Also, I am running everything in admin mode.

I had a lap top when I first installed D2r.
Characters stacked by last one played.
I bought a new PC, and installed the game…
Characters stacked in no determinable order.
Laptop continued to show order by last played… ?
Over time, the PC has become my more used rig.
Now, PC shows characters in last used order.
Laptop shows then all jambled up.

Also, every time I log onto game on laptop my hot keys are all messed up… have to reset them every time… then I log into my PC, and, hotkeys are normal/as-assigned.
(in game “menu’s… you know, escape/options…” they never change, but actual key assigned gets altered somehow).

So odd.
2 computers, 1 account…
This is a weekly observation/occurrence… wife works from home 1 day a week, and on that day, when I get home from work, I fire up the laptop as she is using the office/PC.
Thought I better clarify before the accusations of multi-accounting got thrown around.

1 Like

On my desktop sheet an os reinstall mine is all jumbled up now. It will go to last used within a session, but reverts to whatever order next time I log in. Seems to order last used correctly on my laptop.

I dont have any other systems and I have been using my new PC since the beginning of January and the ordering is still messed up.

I am having the same issue. Curious about any updates to this.

I am having this issue since the game is installed on my SSD. When it was on my HDD the ordering was good.

1 Like

I’m having this same issue. Game was originally installed on Win10 Laptop. Just built new PC and installed Win11. SSD in new compared to HDD in Laptop. When I log in on Laptop it still orders by most recently played. My new PC has no discernable order, and the characters jump around after I play them. So strange.

I’ve had the issue work and not work depending on patches or other things (game cache?) but I haven’t had D2R installed on a platter HD ever so I don’t think HDD vs. SDD is more than a coincidence for you guys.

My best bet is that the game cannot change a file that has the list of character orders due to some access issue or other coding problem, this is why we always have the exact same “wrong” order. This can be also on the server if the check is not done on local machine.

Originally, I thought the install folder access matters in this, but as I run the game in admin mode, this can hardly be the case. Maybe an incorrect coding solution causes misbehaviours, when the game is not on C drive but somewhere else, but again, I dont think this is the reason.
Then I thought maybe the async loading of the characters from the server, but then it is very unlikely, that after starting the game so many times I still see the exact same wrong ordering, so this one is also ruled out.

The reason I thought it could be related to SSD, because the PC reads significantly faster from SSD than HDD and maybe async loading of server data is slower than how quickly local data is loaded, so the characters are already loaded locally before the server data is processed, but I did not find any clue (i.e. alphabetic ordering, or creation date ordering) in how my characters are ordered, so … these are all just guesses.

The character select screen is clearly designed by amateurs

1 Like