Can't beat diablo on normal

Once you get decent gear (meaning a better weapon and probably shield) drop in on the more ‘populated’ games even if you are repeating content and hang with a group for the exp. You will speed them up and they will help you out as well. Normal usually has a bunch of ‘populated’ games. Even tombs runs will help you if you get enough people in them.

If this was not your first character, I’d suggest making a hammerdin. I beat the game so easily that I’m at hell with my paladin alt and he is level 52.

i’ve got several level 80+ sorcs, one in full tal rasha’s with a spirit monarch and magefist gloves. still using treads of cthon boots though, haven’t found anything better.

i just wanted to level a melee type character for once. i might go hammerdin, but i really like the idea of zeal with vengeance on the side to deal with immunes.

you could throw a lot of javelins at him from far away, then one day when he’s low enough sweep in for the kill…

i made a malice weapon with very fast attack speed, switched to a blessed aim merc. it made mowing down the trash along the river of flame a breeze. levelled up about five times and curb stomped him…

2 Likes

Original D2 does not allow you to use /players 8 online.

1 Like

Crushing blow helps. An ability like holy fire that scales linearly based on level is good. Enhancing a small amount of damage by 300% is still a small amount of damage.

That is part of my strategy for beating Diablo I put a portal in an area that I know that Diablo won’t follow me to. Then go back there if needed. I also agree having good resist is a great idea. It isn’t that hard to get an Ancient’s Pledge rune word in a kite shield. Now if I had a paladin shield and use that rune word I would get more resist out of it.

That is why it isn’t a good idea to put a lot of points into Zeal. I would say one or two points tops and you should be fine with him. I am testing a Zeal Fanaticism Paladin leveling spec to see if I can make one that I can get to level 75 without dying once. So far so good, but I am still a long way off. But I did figure that the level of the OP would be too low.

I am thinking that level 30 or a little higher might be the sweet spot.

That is one thing that I never really learned in all of the years of playing D2:LOD. Now I spend all five points of the early levels into vitality. I might even need to do so with casters like the sorc.

If you play single player, you can respec an unlimited amount of times using this command.

For the first few levels, you won’t really die anyway, so I usually push str for better gear, then once I get to around 50 or 60, I stop and go full vit. A bit less on str if I’m playing a caster who won’t be using heavier armor for a while.

I recently booted up some single player games from around 2005, just to see what I was doing back then, and oh lord was I rotten at this game. My barb was in hell with less than 500 hp. No wonder I was dead all the time.

There’s so many posts I didn’t feel like going through them all as I’m late to the party, so hopefully I’m not repeating something.

But this is one of the reasons why I enjoy this game so much when it comes to just playing the game with new characters. Every play through is going to be different depending on what dropped for you and how you approach things. That fire resist belt that you may think was really bad because it didn’t have any other stats may end up being the best item to improve your effectiveness against boss down the road.

I should clarify that I’m not saying you are doing anything wrong or aren’t aware of this. I just wanted to share some love for this game.

Diablo will always be a major pain for physical damage characters due to his block chance. Malice works well due to its open wounds. Hit once and let the bleed effect work. Slow, but steady. There are other low-mid runewords that you can work on too, like Steel (early Open Wounds), Strength (crushing blow), Black (more crushing blow), King’s Grace, Holy Thunder, and I think Honor off the top of my head. The last 3 are pretty meh, though Honor when made in a decent base might last you till mid-Nightmare. But don’t underestimate even the low level items that give crushing blow, especially Black. It’s perfectly viable in hell to zeal with a Black flail until a boss’ hp is low, then switch to something with higher damage to finish the job.

1. Can you tell me which runes do you have?
  2. Any perfect rubies?
  3. What is your shield?
  4. what are your skills?
  5. which mercenary you use

I need to know this stuff to give you proper strategy. If you are still trying to kill him.

I remember my first time

i finally got him down. i made a malice weapon and an ancient’s pledge pally shield, switched my merc to the one with blessed aim and mowed down eveyrthing along the molten river until i got to level 30, put the stats into vit.

he went down pretty easy after that

3 Likes

Good job, if you will need help in future, you can contact me here:

ht tps://discord.gg/ACMWKSQd8B

I will gladly help with some tips or someone from our discord.

Sigon is a bad set , but the most easy way you can beat Diablo on normal (with a melee)is poison bombs.

It’s not just Fire Resist. You also need to have Lightning Resist.

So happened that I am leveling a Paladin alt… a Zealot.

I also had Milabrega’s Scepter few days ago but I got rid of it as I leveled up due to better weapons.

I am suppose to kill Diablo Normal last night at level 25 but I got disconnected twice on the way to River of Flame. I have to re-clear the area again to reach Diablo and I accidentally leveled up to 26.

Level 26 Zealot,
Sacrifice = 11,
Zeal = 11,

Nadir Helm, Ancient’s Pledge Shield, Stealth Chest Armor, Spirit Weapon,

Sacrifice Damage = 130-248,
Zeal Damage 115-215,
Resistance = 75% on all,
Life = 311,
Defense = 253

Here’s the video:

you may be better off doing some normal countess runs and making a better melee weapon than milabregas. and getting some LL.

That weapon garbo. Find some 3 socket 1 hander and put flawed gems in it.