Can we stop pretending?

Can we stop pretending like the aspects of this game that new players don’t like were loved by us old players 20 years ago?

20 Years ago:
-We did not like the bag size. We certainly didn’t like it after charms were introduced.
-We did not like having to do 1000s upon 1000s of Baal runs praying to the RNG gods that we get that lucky drop.
-We did not like that there was basically one way to play each character
-We did not like that most skills were useless

Stop pretending like this game was left alone for the last 15 years because Blizzard new they got it right and just stopped in fear of ruining the game with any changes.

Stop pretending that D2LoD was how real men play video games and anyone that wants changes are modern day pansies.

Stop pretending that this game wasn’t kept alive with private servers that made tons of great changes.

Stop pretending that your interpretation of “remastered” means anything.

It’s a video game, not a lifestyle. It should be fun. You should see progress. You should collect awesome items. There are ways to achieve all of this without turning it into Diablo 3… because as much as some of you want to claim, nobody wants this to become D3.

152 Likes

Well I’m having fun. Maybe stop pretending you like Diablo 2 if you’re not?

167 Likes

Preach my brother :pray:

27 Likes

Dam. This post was real.

Well said OP.

26 Likes

I’m older with more disposable cash. I can blow $40 and have fun the way it is. Wish it didn’t crash as often but I’m having fun.

21 Likes

Lots of Royal We in this post

11 Likes

I think you’d have more fun in D3 op, cheers.

39 Likes

Why would you buy the remaster if you didn´t like the original at all?

Stop pretending, OP.

42 Likes

Some of that is true but the RNG is not. This is one of those issues where players think they want something but they really don’t. This is provable. The moment you have all the gear you’ve been going for, you lose interest in the game. This is every single person I talk to they got all the items they wanted.

The RNG is what makes the game. It is good that you will never see certain items drop in your entire lifetime. Because the moment you get one of those items by drop or through trade, it is the dopamine hit that people go for in the game.

You can’t get rid of that without changing the very fundamental nature of the game. Diablo 2 has lasted so long because of this carrot on a stick. All games that cater to raining legendaries don’t survive.

34 Likes

its the principle. you could probably make chess better but it stays the same because it has been that way forever and thats what made it what it is.

you start changing things here and there and suddenly the magic is gone.

8 Likes

I’m enjoying the game but I would love it more with some changes. qol upgrades, balance, random map generator, etc.

6 Likes

The game is fine the way it is if you don’t like it D2 isn’t for you.

11 Likes

We saw what happens when the players get what they want… D3. Lets not repeat that mistake.

Sometimes you don’t know what you’ve lost until it’s gone.

16 Likes

Maybe not the best example… the current iteration really isn’t that old, and there has been a ton of discussion recently on rule changes in order to reduce the necessity of rote memorization…

low key agreeing with this…

2 Likes

Who do you think you are rofl? What makes you think you speak for us? Most of us love the game for the most part…you are not an authority on the subject.

11 Likes

Well said…

Character limit

2 Likes

I’ll direct the ones I disagree with (others are either agree or not an issue but sure more stash space wouldn’t break anything…

Could the drop rate be a bit higher? Probably wouldn’t break anything. However, in your sentiment the answer is a hell yes I liked this. The ‘game’ ends once I have a character perfectly built more or less. Taking my IAS from 12% to 14% for example can’t keep me engaged (so in D3 finding Primals + main stat grind). What can keep me engaged is looking for the items themselves.

I want the low (maybe not as low, but low) drop rate so it takes A LOT of time to build all of the characters I want to build. I also build them on HC so that I couldn’t play stupid and get there.

My only disagreement here is that there really isn’t. At launch, sure, classes have 1-2 max builds that are strong; however, as you accumulate gear other builds get at least close to the main build of that class if not surpass it in some rare instances in time in this game.

Since the game has a max difficulty (Hell for running, UBRS for event) you actually have a goal and, yes, if we’re focusing on UBRS it re-narrows but for day-to-day play a lot of builds work in hell once geared.

Actually breaking the above. Yes… I want my Skeleton Mages to do something, lol

3 Likes

Stop taking every suggestion for change as not having fun.

Why would you think that being open to change meant that I don’t like the game? I absolutely like the game. I’m also absolutely open to decent changes.

Agreed, and I’m not suggesting loot falls from the sky either. Just that most of us played this game for many, many hours a day for years and barely got a decent setup. Do you see our 30, 40 or 50 year old selves playing this game for several hours a day for the next few years? Do you see new players sticking around after playing for several hours a day for years barely getting new stuff?

I don’t. I will play most likely for a long time, but I don’t have the time to sink into it again like I did 20 years ago.

I was paraphrasing other people, not myself. So no… not sexist.

4 Likes

I think your point about RNG is wrong (assuming you mean to drastically increase drops). I think a lot of players think they want higher drop rates but that’s very short sited. I think people need to get comfortable not finding every item in a game…that’s ok. Just because Enigma is the best armour for so many builds doesn’t mean everyone should have it. That’s what makes it special.

Always having more items to find is part of what kept people playing D2 for so long. And more items means unique interesting items, not just the hope of finding better rolls on equipment basically identical to what you already have.

But I do agree improvements could be made to the inventory. Filling your inventory with charms and not being able to pick anything up is not fun or interesting game design. It does not create important game decisions. Everyone just uses their cube as a little mini inventory… annoying is all that is.

As far as skills go, I’m OK with some stronger builds and some weaker builds. When everything is balanced it’s boring. Maybe they could try buffing some of the less used skills to make some more builds viable though.

2 Likes