Can we get an "official" Blue comment on the Cold Mastery change?

100%

This seems to make the most sense.

The point is that this is a buff to what is arguably the most powerful build already. Blizz sorc does NOT need a buff. I say this as someone whose one ane only character at the moment is a blizz sorc. Yes the damage is likely VERY small, but the fact that you can now kite/grind down cold immunes is a big change to the meta. I could see many players opting to go pure cold and just grind out the immunes. This kills build diversity.

1 Like

I definitely won’t be going to my old standby for first sorc, that was cold/fire hybrid if this stays in.

1 Like

Try again. Hammerdins.

6 Likes

I’d think cold sorcs with infinity are going to be edging out hammerdins to be honest.

Hammerdins were more popular because so few things have magic immune.

1 Like

It’s not 100% though.

I just made a Normal Game to do the Anya quest, and Frozenstein in Normal mode is 100% resistant to my Orb.

I have Maxed Orb with Maxed Cold mastery and did no damage to him with it. Had to switch to fire to kill him.

1 Like

Frozenstein has 150% cold resist on normal, you didn’t have enough to break it.

It takes a lot more resistance reduction to break immunity.

1 Like

My Cold Mastery is 24 skill with the bonuses included. How much is needed to break it?

So, you’re saying since this bug (and other bugs) have been fixed, Diablo 2 might need a rebalance? I believe we’re on the same page. I agree.

Doesn’t change the fact CM was inconsistent with LR, Conviction, or Amplify damage. Sounds like a 20 year old bug fix.

4 Likes

Bug fix or not, this is a balance change.

Resistance reduction functions at 20% effectiveness against something that is immune, until it falls under 100% resistance (and therefore no longer being immune).

At level 24 cold mastery you have 135% reduced cold resistance. That amounts to only a 27% because of the reduced effectiveness. So Frozenstein would still be very much immune.

Well -155% would be skill 28, so I’m guessing around there. If broken, damage would still be miniscule though.

Is it too hard for Blizzard to write us a list of the changes they made to the game, because it seems they buffed some monsters, like in CS added back in skills to monsters, and attacks. I really would like to see all the hidden changes they made.

1 Like

Ok. The main reason hammerdins are soo good is there is not many magic immunes.

Again, why buff an already strong build? This is like holding a telethon to raise money for Bill Gates. Its like, bruh… he doesn’t need it…

1 Like

Again, a bug fix might affect balance? How long have you been sitting on this information? Not to be overly sarcastic, but this surprises you why?

4 Likes

That’s interesting. So it doesn’t work on all cool immunes, just ones with lower resistances to begin with.

It was in the patch notes that cold mastery did not affect immunities. That means it was a deliberate change.

And yes, bugs absolutely can affect balance, what do you even mean?

yes. That change was later reverted for everything except Cold Mastery. An oversight. A bug.

2 Likes

Maybe… Just maybe… it was deliberate?

Because you know… no other element gets a passive as insanely powerful as cold mastery.

Why do you think so many cold immunes have just enough cold resistance that it is hard to break it by normal means?

So your back to arguing now that Cold Mastery functions correctly, it may need a balance pass. OK. I agree.

A D2R balance pass is inevitable. The game is a mess, balance wise. It does not surprise me - and shouldn’t surprise you - as bugs get fixed balance will shift.

It does surprise me NHAM wasn’t fixed though. That’s one of the big ones.

2 Likes

… Whaaaaat?

Now you are seriously confusing me.

I have been arguing the same thing this whole time.

The change to cold mastery is a balance change, whether it was a bug fix or not. This is a massive buff to cold sorcs.

Edit:

That one really does need to be fixed. It breaks entire builds.

2 Likes