Bul-Kathos > Stone of Jordan

Why is the SoJ considered more valuable? With all the emphasis on life over mana with various items and charms, even for casters, would the 49 life on the BK ring not be considered more valuable than the SOJ’s mana increase regardless of how much it is? The BK ring should be more valuable than the SoJ for all classes should it not?

life leach makes it okay for non casters but they don’t generally need the +1 skills so much and are better off served with other rings, as for the 29-49 life it gives, it’s so insignificant in most cases that there really is no point. the soj gives a huge boost to mana which in turn boost mana regen from things like warmth and insight. Neither ring is very good except for the 1 skill but soj is slightly more useful on casters and is also used to summon uber diablo so it gets a boost in value from that.

5 Likes

SOJ are considered more valuable because you need to sell like 1200 of them to an npc vendor in order to spawn diablo-clone, which is the only way to get annihilus charms. most people use them for this purpose instead of wearing them

2 Likes

The Stone of Jordan has uses beyond wearing it and sadly Bul-Kathos’ Wedding Band’s +Life is based on Character Level, which does not get boosted by Battle Order. That ring should have a flat +40 Life and something else besides +60 Stamina. All those high level unique items with +Stam…such crap.

2 Likes

I still prefer soj to Bul kathos most of the time. +life isn’t boosted by battle
Orders and the mana/regen is a nice qol for most ppl.

1 Like

I think its really mostly because of diablo clone. You need 1-2 sojs to qualify taking part in official dclone events which means you will get a guaranteed annihilus there just from these 2 sojs

• Dclone spawning for Anni.
  • Pvp increased mana pool is better for longer fights or for ES soso
  • BK +life is not boosted by BO so its value is low.

BK is good as a cheap prebuff or for melee characters I guess.

The reason Dclone needs SoJ to begin with is because of how often it was duped due to being such a coveted item. So I don’t think this is much of a reason for SoJ’s popularity in relation to BK, at least not originally.

To me it makes little sense for any caster without mana issues to favor SoJ. Just look at how almost everyone favors vit over energy in like every build. SoJ has more value today due to Dclone but I prefer BK unless I’m starved for mana.

Edit- I will say that SoJ has much more mana than BK has life which could allow someone to sacrifice mana on other pieces of gear opening up some options.

1 Like

Because you can spawn DClone with them.

With 2 SoJs I go from 400 to 800 mana, with much higher mana regens.
With 2 BKs I go from 4500 to 4600hp with no other benefit.

1 Like

oh yeah. it helps Battle orders so much and I did about 1000 andy runs and still no SOJ for me. for me I had to trade for it.

update:
I also saw a spreadsheet of some guy where he did 2000 nightmare andy’s and RNG did not land him a SOJ

they should just fix it and make it BO-able.

dwarf star is BO-able. why would the bk ring- the only other ring besides a soj that grants +1 to skills be punked like this when a “lesser” ring -Dwarf Star- works with Battle orders.

makes zero sense…

OR

maybe it’s b/c 3-5%LL on top of 75-95 Life after battle orders be OP? idk about that :confused:

bul kathos wasn’t around in classic diablo 2, pre - lord of destruction.

soj is the KING of items from the day the game launched. unique items were EXTREMELY limited in the original game. it was not uncommon for a level 99 to wear a twitchthroe (if they used a unique item at all and not a rare item; which rares offered better overall stats. that’s how underpowered uniques were).

i’d say a lot of it is just the reverence and tradition. pretty cool it has stuck around that way for so long, the tradition, to be honest. bul kathos is great and soj are great. they’re equals for separate classes but SOJ just has that OG factor

sojs are used for diablo clone because sojs were so revered that people duped them en masse and blizzard was only able to be reactionary to that by creating the diablo spawn soj sell “game”. it was based in the appreciation of the soj and not because blizzard chose an item at random.

sometimes I miss the duped no lvl req sojs. It was great to eq them on a new character and have lots of mana to use early and in classic they were most of the + skills you would get anyway

Sorc(non-es)…2X BK Ring(Vit give awful life gain)…worth using double BK on her even if BO dont boost BK life…thats 5 level worth of life…Warmth handle full mana regen

Paladin, Tornado Druid, Necro,
2X BK Ring(Insight enough for their mana regen) for PVE
1X SoJ might be nice for pvp…MIGHT be…i know that Nec PNB spells cost a little much so a SoJ for pvp for them might be nice…i cant remember for the others

Javazon,Trap sin, Fire Elemental Druid(Infinity Merc)
honestly i cant remember if their spells cost a lot to warrant the use of a SoJ
…so i leave info as blank for them :wink:

ES Sorc(Immortal build) 2X SoJ + Frostburn
Warcry Barb 2X SoJ + Frostburn + double Wizspike(literaly warcry to deal dmg but cost a ton of mana)

if i forgot to cover a build your free to write about it
Physical dmg builds are ofc exluded from using + skill rings as its awful to them

were the duped sojs 1.08 patch? i completely forgot about zero level requirement sojs. a lot of people never played classic diablo so they have no idea how whacky things USED to be.

SOJ is better because physical classes don’t need more skills generally and the mana boost of SOJ is huge. BK isn’t bad though, people use it on some builds.

Shoot me, I really can’t remember. But I played only classic until 1.10.

But I remember that you got 2 dupe sojs without lvl req for 1 soj with level req and the teenage me thought that the people all were stupid to trade like that.

Good ol’ times.

when i was brand, brand new in the pre- lord of destruction days on my first char, some guy joined my game and was like “hey come here check this out” and he was doing the akara soj dupe. i don’t know how it worked but one of her tabs was like 20 item slots filled with sojs and you could buy them for a few thousand gold and i bought as many as i could. i had no idea what they were, he just told me to buy them and then disappeared. i ended up trading all of them for like garbage because i had no idea they were valuable or even what they were.

id prefer bulkhatos on hammerdin but soj on every other. (hammerdin’s merc can use insight forever no problem)

keep in mind bk’s health isnt BOable. its just a flat tiny amount.