Buff Lackluster Sets for Patch 2.5

Many improvements were made to set items in Patch 2.4, I urge the developers to continue making progress and consider adding improvements to the sets below in Patch 2.5, which would further fuel build diversity…

Bul-Kathos’ Children

• Remove Knockback
  • Add +5 Double Swing (Full Set)
    • Knockback must be removed to make set viable. You can’t use Frenzy with this set because of this effect, making for a slow kill speed. This set could really benefit from a bonus to Double Swing (fitting for two-sword set)

• Add +30% Faster Cast Rate (Full Set)
  • Fix bug that increases casting delay in vampire-form resulting in slower casting
    • Trangs needs more FCR to be viable

Aldur’s Watchtower

• Add +100% Magic Find (Full Set)
    • Adding a new full set bonus to magic find would give characters more options to MF. This complements the partial set bonus of 50% Magic Find

Immortal King

• Add +20% Increased Attack Speed (Full Set)
  • Add +2 Open Sockets to Immortal King’s Stone Crusher (OS to 4, up from 2)
    • In light of the changes to Whirlwind in 2.4.3, propose buffing IAS and doubling the maul’s socket count to help IK Barbarian

Heaven’s Brethren

• Add +150% Enhanced Defense (3 Items)
  • Add +20% Crushing Blow (Full Set)
  • Add 1-250 Fire Damage (Full Set)
    • Heaven’s Brethren is a defensive set, damage is low, and clvl requirement of shield is high. Set could benefit from bonus to CB and fire damage

Isenhart’s Armory

• Add +1 To All Skills (Full Set)
  • Add 20% Chance To Cast Level 5 Holy Bolt on Striking (Full Set)
    • Isenhart’s Armory lack of plus skills means this set isn’t effective for long. With full set equipped, Lightbrand has chance to cast holy bolts

M’avina’s Battle Hymn

• Add +33% Piercing Attack (3 Items)
  • Add +20% Fire Damage (Full Set)
    • M’avina’s is a budget set for a Frost Maiden, but is painfully slow. Adding the ability to pierce would help out. Also, adding fire damage bonus would add flexibility to enhance other skills

Berserker’s Arsenal

• Add +5 Life Stolen Per Hit (2 Items)
  • Add +10-15 Magic Damage (2 Items)
  • Add +30% Deadly Strike (Full Set)
    • Berserker’s Arsenal is mediocre when compared to other class-themed sets, offering +skills and axe deals poor damage. This set could benefit from LL, bonus to magic damage and DS

Hwanin’s Majesty

• Add 1-250 Lightning Damage (Full Set)
  • Add +20% To Lightning Resist (Full Set)
    • Hwanin’s Majesty set is not popular as the damage is subpar and could use a boost in lightning damage. Also, set would benefit from lightning resistance

Tancred’s Battlegear

• Add +100% Enhanced Damage (3 Items)
  • Add +200 To Attack Rating (Full Set)
    • Tancred’s Battlegear is lackluster for melee and could use bonuses to ED and AR
2 Likes

While I agree that sets need to be buffed, I cannot support most of these changes. Mainly because, with the exception of Bul-Kathos, I don’t feel they are enough to bring the sets to viability. (Immortal Kings is already viable, but I don’t think just IAS will help much, it needs 4 frame two handed whirlwind to be possible).

I do support removing Knockback from Bul-Kathos. Or alternatively, maybe add Hit Blinds Target to the full set bonus? I seem to remember Blind Target prevents knockback on Charge from triggering. Or does that only apply to Charge and not to Knocback mod on weapons?

For the other sets though? Aldur’s needs a heck of a lot more than just +100% magic find. It needs damage on the weapon, faster cast, right now it’s simply no good for either a melee or a caster Druid.

I have a thread listing all the sets that need buffs. However, I think only small changes are going to be possible for this patch.

I’d suggest removing Knockback from Bul-kathos as one of the simple changes to make sets viable.

Here are two more sets with relatively slight changes needed.

Arcanna’s Tricks:

Since Cathan’s Traps are clearly targeted at a Fire Sorceress, Arcanna’s Tricks should be pointed at a non-Fire Sorceress. Let’s bump the set level from 15 to level 18 so we can add Staff Mods granting lvl 18 Spells. I’d suggest 1 utility skill, and 2 damage skills (one each lightning and cold). Arcanna’s Tricks has a lot of Mana regeneration on it, so more Mana intensive spells are possible, or just having a significantly faster cast rate. At lvl 18 we ought to be looking for this set to handle the rest of Normal, and somewhat into Nightmare, so it needs slightly better resistances.

1: Add +3 to Shiver Armor (Sorceress Only) to Arcanna’s Deathwand (the staff).
2: Add +3 to Glacial Spike (Sorceress Only) to Arcanna’s Deathwand.
3: Add +3 to Charged Bolt (Sorceress Only) to Arcanna’s Deathwand. (Alternative could be Nova, but most lvl 18 Lightning Sorceress will still be using Charged Bolt).
4: Replace the 25% Deadly Strike on Arcanna’s Deathwand with 25% Faster Cast. (This a Caster Set, you should not be whacking stuff).
5: Add +3 Teleport (Sorceress Only) to Arcanna’s Head (the helm).
6: Increase the partial set bonus for three items on Arcanna’s Head from 15% Lightning Resistance to 30%.
7: Increase the partial set bonus for three items on Arcanna’s Sign (the amulet) from 20% Fire Resistance to 30%.
8: Add +5 Strength to Arcanna’s Sign.
9: Add -50% Requirements to Arcanna’s Flesh (the body armor). (Cathan’s Traps already has this at lvl 11, Arcanna’s ought to have it too).
10: Add +30% Poison and +30% Cold Resistance to Arcanna’s Flesh.
11: Replace the 5% Mana Steal on the Set bonus with +5 Mana per kill.

The additional Resistances are needed to make this set semi viable into early Nightmare. (Note that even after this buff Arcanna’s is still 50% lower resistances than what Cathan’s Traps grants. You get better skills and more Faster Cast, so it’s probably worth it.) You get access to Teleport, Glacial Spike and Shiver Armor without having to spend prerequisite points, makign this a decent choice for a Charged Bolt Sorceress finishing Normal and starting Nightmare.

Infernal Tools:

Why… why does a set with a wand, have things like 20% Open Wounds, massive Attack Rating, plus to min damage, etc? You should not be hitting things with a wand! If you are using wand, then you are committed to being a caster, and the bonuses should reflect that. Since this is a level 5 set it shouldn’t have skills above level 6. We should probably seek to make it useful through Normal, but not into Nightmare. That’s means some extra flexibility in the set so while best for a Necromancer, it should also be useful to any caster in the early game. That probably means faster cast, and maybe O-skills but not much in the way of resistances.

1: Add +3 to Dim Vision to Infernal Torch (the wand). (Fits the item name and is useful to low level casters to keep mobs from overwhelming you).
2: Add +3 to Clay Golem to Infernal Torch.
3: Add +3 to Teeth to Infernal Torch.
4: Replace +8 to Minimum Damage on the Infernal Torch with 10% Faster Cast Rate.
5: Replace the two part partial set bonus on the Infernal Torch with 20% Faster Cast Rate.
6: Replace the two part partial set bonus on the Infernal Cranium (the helm) with 15% Faster Cast Rate.
7: Remove the three part partial set bonus on the Infernal Sign (the belt). (It grants half freeze length, but the whole set grants Cannot be Frozen and the set is only 3 pieces!)
8: Replace +20 to Life on the Infernal Sign with -50% Requirements. (You need this if you expect people to wear this at lvl 5).
9: Replace the two part partial set bonus on the Infernal Sign with +20 to Life
10: Replace the 20% Attack Bonus and 20% Open Wounds on the Set bonus with 30% Faster Cast.
11: Replace the +8 Poison Damage, and the 6% Mana Steal on the Set bonus with +5 Mana per a kill.

There, that’s 75% Faster Cast which is massive, but that’s a break point for a Necromancer, and it doesn’t really have anything else besides the Necromancer skill points and Faster Cast. Thus, most casters can make good use of this through normal, but once in Nightmare are going to be better off with plus skill items for their class. A necromancer could continue using this, but a White wand is so much better for a Bone Necromancer, and even a Poison Necromancer who might like the Faster Cast is going to be hurting for resistances if they keep using this set.

3 Likes

I did a comprehensive overhaul of M’avina and Aldur along with buffs to the rest of the Elite Class Sets(IK, Gris, Trang’s, Tal’s and Nat’s). Pretty sure you’ve seen it but if not… 2.5 Class Set overhaul. Sackett is right that IK needs help in pushing not just 5 Frames(which is still achievable with existing attributes) but resisting Slow effects(Half Freeze → CBF, change IK Armor Enchant proc → Burst of Speed, etc.). I added more Damage mitigation to IK just to give you a taste of the changes I proposed. To hit 4 Frames with WW requires more structural changes to the skill for it to be possible(since 5 Frame is ceiling right now).

2 Likes

IK set definitely needs more IAS to help it out. The fact that you need 125% IAS just to hit 5fpa WW is just brutal for the Ogre Maul.

1 Like

Set gives you 65%(40 on Maul, 25 on Gloves). You got two Sockets on Maul and two on Helm plus Amulet slot. It’s achievable but more of a pain. I proposed doubling Maul’s socket count to 4 and giving Armor 4 as well(latter might be a bit much but it’s a rare item).

1 Like

Yeah ideally would socket in 4x ED/IAS jewels in the weapon/armor which would put you at 65+60=125. It’s just a big commitment to simply hit 5fpa 2h WW (which is objectively terrible regardless of the Ogre Maul/IK set).

If it took 125% IAS to hit 4fpa WW, I would be totally fine with it.

1 Like

Agreed and updated OP with your proposed idea of doubling maul’s socket count as that is a solid suggestion…

Immortal King

• Add +20% Increased Attack Speed (Full Set)
  • Add +2 Open Sockets to Immortal King’s Stone Crusher (OS to 4, up from 2)
    • In light of the changes to Whirlwind in 2.4.3, propose buffing IAS and doubling the maul’s socket count to help IK Barbarian

Elemental damage doesn’t scale on melee builds (besides Vengeance builds), should really stop asking for it on melee sets…

Furthermore, the weapon is the weakest piece of the set. The base should be changed or the ED needs to be increased.

Hwanin is an Exceptional Tier Set that’s just that: Exceptional. It’s not Elite Tier but it can be upgraded to an Elite base if a player wanted to via the Cube. Meaning the Bill becomes a Colossus Voulge or a 210 Strength requirement monster. 200% ED isn’t bad for an Exceptional Tier weapon but it’s not ideal when compared to Elite Tier counterparts, much less 2-H variants that have more going for them(Reaper’s Toll has Decrepify for example… Ethereal 3-Socket Tomb Reaver and so on).

The real problem with Hwanin’s Set is that the weapon is a polearm instead of a spear. It’s not even the correct fantasy since Hwanin is a reference to Korean legends.

Hwanin’s Justice should be a Yari (an East Asian spear) not a Bill (a European Polearm).

Agreed. Hwanin’s Set should use a spear.

The problem isn’t with what it can upgrade to, the Bill is the poor base.

Changing it to be a Bec-De-Corbin or Yari would substantially increase the damage of the exceptional set piece.

Also, no one is going to use a Pul rune to upgrade this when you can use the Pul when there are better uses for it, Oath being one…

It can’t even remotely compete with Obedience or Unbending Will which aren’t expensive or high level runewords.

Blizzard, the new Sundered Charms looks like an interesting new feature, but can you please continue to buff lackluster sets so they can be viable for Season 2. Thanks!