Bring back the white lightning!

Liking the look of the remaster, nice and dark :slight_smile:

The one thing that always strikes my eye as wrong though is the blue lightning skill effect, the white looking effect from the original is iconic (especially from the scarabs) and is much more noticeable (which is good cos its dangerous).

Think they should consider making all lightning skill effects resemble the original more the blue just looks wrong to me.

It’s not white.
I’m playing the game right now, the lightnings skills are blue they just look white because of the crap graphics/lighting, if you pause the screen the lightning is actually blue

The lightning looks good, just a bit too thin. I think adding more glow around and along the channel would make it look better and thicken it up a bit. Powerful lightning bolts are supposed to be blindingly bright, that “overexposure” glow would do it some good.

if it looks white then it is white :slight_smile: , but yeah i get your point there is some blue there. But at the moment it just doesnt have the right look compared to the original.

yeah I think you have hit the nail on the head it needs more glow to give it that white distinctive look, good observation.

+1

Agree, the lightning skill looks totally different than in D2.

IMO both Frozen-Orb and even Blessed Hammers look more D3, than D2 lol.

Also the Tal-Rasha’s Tomb, where you need to place the staff, looks different. The animation needs improvement, the colour needs improvement, the lightning strike hitting the wall looks different (blue and weird shape, instead of white and direct), and there is also no “smoke/fog/Gas” when the wall crumbles and all the “Tomb-Gas” escapes, where as in original D2, its all there.

The device that fires the lightning strike into the wall in order for it to crumble and reveal Duriels Lair, is also just using the lightning strike from the Sorc Skill in the original D2.

I like the new lightning. It causes less clutter on the screen and easy on the eyes.
Fire on the other hand needs some toning down.

It is a lighter blue than what is being used in D2R though. More of an Electric blue in the original and a royal blue in D2R. But the center is a bright white which if they increased the contrast of the glow in D2R would probably look closer to the original.

I wouldn’t mind if they kinda wrapped an electric blue with a flash white

Is it just me or does the new lightning look like pencil scribbles ?

I think it definitely needs to be improved, especially charged bolts.

yeah it just doesn’t have the screen impact of the original.

it really was noticeable in the blizzcon footage when the were attacking the scarab’s and you could barely see their charged bolts.

Hopefully they read this thread and give it some white glow :slight_smile:

Make sure you’re not viewing on cheap monitors. It looks good where I stand.

I wasn’t impressed by the lightning visuals either. The old visuals were not visually impressive, but they certainly had a lot of visual impact because of how big they were.

I think it wouldn’t be too hard to just slightly increase the thickness of the lightning bolts and add a few more with some spacing deviations between them and additional glow.

3-4 bolts, twice as thick, extra glow… see how it looks and report back Blizzard xD

My monitor is good too. It looks good as far as it is animated well. But it is certainly not in the same style as the original (which is what they are going for in most cases, as stated by them)

I am just wondering their reasons for toning down the white so much in the the lightning effects.

I’m viewing on my 4k monitor, and I literally just see blue pencil scribbles.

I got the white lightning 190 proof… !!

As some said, spells in the current D2 and for the past 20 years were not exactly mind-blowing effects, but they were clearly visible in contrast with the background.

I think that’s because the backgrounds in D2 are pre-rendered and have a rather photo-realistic style, where as spells are more colour-full and “chunky”. This creates a distinct contrast where it is very pleasant to distinguish background from spells and monsters.

No matter which act you’re in, the spells and effects and monsters always pop-out from the background.

I can’t help it :stuck_out_tongue:
D2 is friggen awesome lol.

I haven’t seen the new blizzard skill yet… is there footage of it?

yeah they certainly do, the first thing I thought when I saw the new lightning skill effect was that looks a lot like a diablo 3 skill. As the games still around the alpha stage I hope this gets changed to resemble a more “original” look.

Not that I can think of and I think I’ve seen all or most of the gameplay footage out there.

why would you want them to bring back the pixelated chunky white glares running across your screen when you can have actual electricity moving across it? I am absolutely not in favor of them bringing back the old style. if you want the 100% old version you can still play it :p.

I don’t want a “pixelated chunky white glare”, I want the remastered version of it, that looks modern while still being based off the original. As far as I know that’s the point of the remaster - to upgrade the graphics of the original while staying as true as possible to its style as possible.

I’m not for one second suggesting I want the exact same pixelated sprite in the remaster.