Bring back duped SoJ for ladder - the OG FG

Widgit brought up a good point in his thread:

I actually did enjoy when SoJ was the main currency. Back when Windforce cost 20 SoJ, when Skullders was 4 SoJ. When IK Set was 8 SoJ.

That was when trading was actually fun. No wonder people started using FG, because after the duped SoJ were gone, trading lost its soul. I NEVER enjoyed rune trading. But I have endless memories of how much dopamine I would get holding a single SoJ.

That’s why using the Trade Channel or game trading was fun back then, because trading was simplified. You could go there and see: Shaftstop 3Soj. /w the guy, go make a game, SOLD.

Blizzard themselves already acknowledged the power and nostalgia the duped SoJ holds when they gave each streamer a real life replica SoJ. The duped SoJ was iconic to Diablo 2.

So if Blizzard wants to add their own FG. Just simply bring back the “duped” SoJ. Maybe ladder has double or triple the chance to drop SoJ (or a new ring called Son Of Jordan). After the 3 month ladder, there will be an abundance of SoJ dumped into the NL (the main game mode) economy. People will be looking to accept SoJ for their items and THAT’s what will give SoJ their value.

And then Blizzard should also add the lobby Trade channel and connect it to the in-game trade channel, with the ability for players to right click your name and press “join game” or the ability to invite someone to your game.

What are your thoughts? Will Blizzard ever fix the lobby/channels? Until that happens, I don’t blame anyone for using FG.

Hmmm… so let’s bring back a duped currency to solve the duped currency we have now.

5 Likes

I find it amazing how anyone could suggest something like this and expect to be taken seriously.

9 Likes

Thanks for the useless post.

4 Likes

So, then how many duped SoJ’s to the Hex. Or ITH or white or OCC ring… Once you go down that sloap there is no going back no matter what your intentions were.

3 Likes

As a younglin I never got to experience this magic… If we could make the resurrected experience closer to what my dad experienced playing this game, that would mean the world to me! I would love to see that :hopeful_teary_eyed:

1 Like

I remember the first operation ruststorm removing all the Occyrings, whatching all the sorcs die in cows as their nova builds failed…happy days.
That said I don’t want duped SoJs back and SoJ droprate should not rise.

Current Blizzard has no idea what is iconic to diablo 2, their latest actions have proven that.
Find some other way to spawn überdiablo.
Clearing 99% of all monsters or something like that (and then just in that game), make people work for it.

That would be nice, but the dupe soj was not a happy memory for most, it is hiding more in finding their first Ohm or something like that (high runes where much rarer back in the days).
I personally would love a 1.09 mode, but its to much resources for to little gain I expect and don’t think they will ever do that.

2 Likes

This boils down to a simple complaint of laziness, like so:

Hello Federal Reserve,

I am too honest to work 40 hours a week or pay taxes and things cost money but I have a hard time earning it so, please, really, just let me use counterfeit bills in the form of recycled toilet paper so I can get things like gas, food, and pay my bills. Before, when we could use whatever we wanted to barter, everything was just easier and I didn’t have to get myself off welfare.

So, please, pretty pleas with extra sugar… let me counterfeit.

Thank you kind sir for not taking the title at face value and being constructive. Yup you’re right, this will never happen, it was nice imagining it though. I actually do think simplified = fun and effective which is why people use FG in the first place.

I don’t think Rune trading or item for item trading is effective at all, that’s why I throw my items or give them away instead of going through the effort of finding a 1 for 1 trade.

It’s worked fine for me for several ladder seasons in the OG. I’ll find gear that is worth something, but I don’t need it, so I’ll liquidate it down to runes. If I need something, I’ll trade runes for whatever I need. Simple. No JSP required.

I suppose the barter system isn’t for everyone.

3 Likes

Honestly, crawl under the nearest rock and stay there.

Yeah I remember being against JSP as soon as I came to the original D2R forum and seeing some of the guys’ reasons for being pro FG. Most of them had to do with efficiency. And now when I think back to the SoJ days, that’s what I think made trading so exciting for me. That there was a single item that every player in the community was tied to. So I understand their perspective more now. Rune trading is nice and effective but it does take effort to find someone holding that specific rune your item is worth.

I’ll admit I didn’t play much after 1.10, and for the items I have found so far, I don’t know their rune value. Instead of going and finding out, I just left them in my stash to rot. Yeah it’s my fault for not learning how the rune values work, but the idea of this thread is more about FG. Why do people like FG and how do we make it so the community isn’t split between in game trading and FG trading? Is it possible to make an in game FG? To me SoJ was the original FG.

Put down the pipe bud.

I mean I don’t think Duping is a solution (as fun as it sounds)
But I do think the SoJ drop rate is ridiculously low.
1000 nm Andariels for 1 soj is a bit rediculous

1 Like

oh to be 12 again and think that’s viable…

Making runes be stackable would literally solve all trading.

2 Likes
2 Likes

What a high IQ idea I came up with.

• Quadruple the chances for SoJ to drop in nightmare and hell in ladder.
  • Make them stackable
  • When the 3 month ladder resets, an abundance of SoJ will be dumped into NL
  • Now we have SoJ to spawn Anni clone and trade for runes and items like the good ol’ days.

:relieved:

Lmao. Just cuz you can’t adjust to different economies doesn’t mean a “duped soj” economy is superior in any way shape or form. Gimmie some of that stuff you smoking mate.