Blizzard is slowly phasing out diablo 2 legacy

Blizzard is no longer fixing diablo 2 bugs or dealing with modders/botters because they want diablo 2 lod to die. you can see on their website in the games section that diablo 2 lod isnt even listed in the classic game section anymore. they’re trying to get everyone to switch over to that abomination they made called “d2r”. diablo 2 lord of destruction was originally made by a team called blizzard north which dissolved back in 2005. during the games creation blizzard south (the people who run blizzard now) only created the cinematics of the game so all the talent that went into diablo 2 lod no longer exists within the company. thats why all their new games look like WoW, including d2r. its only a matter of time before they pull the plug on diablo 2 lod. it was never their creation so they have no interest in supporting it even though its the best game to ever come out of that company. RIP diablo 2 lod

2 Likes

They said they would continue to support the game for the classic experience. It won’t get major updates like D2R, but it’ll run and stick around. That’s really all anyone can ask for at this point. I’m fine w/ occasional patches to keep it running and nothing else. Obviously bug fixes will take longer than they would for a product like D2R that actually makes them money.

D2 is part of the golden era of games where companies hosted online services free for a game you only paid box price for.

What bugs? And don’t say mana burn and tomb vipers.

Modders mod on separate servers and Blizzard has never been able to stop botting, map hack and pickit.

I play hc ladder on us west - zero problems.

i cant even log into the game right now because of the CD key bug just to name one

You’re saying cd key, are you referring to the 16 digit cd key or the 26 digit digital key?

I’ve just discovered that 4 of my Blizzard accounts are missing their redeemed d2 game keys.

I had the CD bug too and it would no go away on its own, why now after all these years when it resolved automatically, I could be wrong, but it feels like they want to push the remaining players out

All software has a limited lifespan and eventually reaches its End-of-Life (EoL) due to several factors. EoL refers to the point at which the software is no longer supported by the vendor and may no longer receive updates or security patches.

One of the main reasons software reaches EoL is due to technological advancements. As new technologies are developed, software vendors must constantly update their software to keep up with the latest trends. This can include changes to the underlying hardware or software platforms, as well as new features and capabilities that users demand. Eventually, software becomes outdated and no longer compatible with modern systems, leading to its eventual retirement.

Another reason software reaches EoL is due to the cost of maintaining and supporting it. As software becomes older and more complex, it can become increasingly difficult and expensive to maintain. Vendors may decide that the cost of supporting older software is no longer sustainable and may choose to discontinue it in favor of newer offerings.

Security concerns are also a factor in the decision to retire software. As software ages, it may become more vulnerable to security threats, such as vulnerabilities in old libraries. Vendors may choose to retire older software to ensure that their customers are not exposed to these risks. (Which by the way, I find it completely absurd that the original battle net of Diablo 1and Warcraft 2 is still running with easily over 20 years since their last updates. That stuff must be full of vulnerabilities and running that client in multiplayer is like parking your car in São Paulo with the doors unlocked and the key on the ignition. Even D2 bnet has some known security threats that are unlikely to ever have been fixed, such as passwords being sent as plain text at the moment of account creation)

The implications of EoL for users can be significant. When software reaches EoL, it may no longer receive updates or security patches, leaving users vulnerable to security threats. In addition, EoL software may become incompatible with newer hardware and software platforms, making it difficult or impossible to use. Users may also find that they are unable to receive technical support or assistance with EoL software, leaving them to fend for themselves when issues arise.

To avoid these issues, users should be aware of the lifecycle of the software they are using and plan accordingly. This can include regularly updating software to the latest version, migrating to newer software offerings, or finding alternative solutions that are still supported. Users should also be vigilant about security threats and take steps to protect their systems, such as installing anti-virus software and keeping their operating systems up-to-date.

In conclusion, all software eventually reaches EoL due to a combination of technological advancements, cost considerations, and security concerns. While this can present challenges for users, it is important to plan ahead and take steps to protect your systems and data. By staying informed and proactive, users can ensure that they are able to adapt to changing software landscapes and maintain a secure and reliable computing environment.