Black box textures/animations in some acts

problem is with nvidia drivers 510. On old drivers problem didn’t happen.

Same problem, act 2 borders and act IV maggots, sometimes I got weird flashes in act IV in the beginning.
Edit: I have an gtx 1660, ryzen 5 3600, 16 gb ram.

I have this on 2080ti at 1440p. It’s really bad, I even get it at the main menu now.

1 Like

Same here. RTX 3080 @1440(16:9) and @1600 (21:10)

Lowering the resolution scale helps, but I want my sharp picture. :smiley:

this problem is present on windows 11

Yes, I am on windows 11 as well

Yup, I’m on windows 11 too.

Personally, the problem in Act II seemed to be concentrated around ledges in the desert.

In Act IV, I’ve encountered two enemies that had black boxes around them :

• Venom Lord
  • Blood Maggot

Perhaps there’s some pointers to textures that are missing or not referenced correctly? Though I don’t get why it wouldn’t be everyone’s problem if that was the case. Any way to try and fix the install to check if that’s the case without having to uninstall / reinstall? Anyone here tried that yet?

Edit : Scan/fix did not find anything. Currently reinstalling, see if there’s any changes with the issue. I doubt it, but hey, empircism.

Update : Reinstalling did not change anything. Oh well, it was worth trying.

Update 2 : Just encountered Venom Lords in the chaos sanctuary that did not cause the issue, whereas they did in the outer steppes. So it’s not just the texture, but {model} X {environment} based? :thinking: Just went back to the Outer Steppes to check it out, and encountered Balrogs that had the issue, this time around.

Update 3 : it seems the black boxes around enemies flashes more aggressively when they flee, for some reason.

2 Likes

Having similar issues with different black, transparent or colored boxes appearing or a combination of all of them (usually following the monster, ability or whatever it might be). Often next to different type of spells either, for example a specific Paladin aura that I can’t recall the name of (a lightning thing on the ground around the Paladin).

To fix this I have to swap to legacy mode via F5.

Specifications:

• Windows 11 as well – the latest dev build (22468.1000)
  • i5-3570k
  • GTX 980 (version 510.10 drivers)
1 Like

I have 510.10 drivers too. This is definitely some driver issue.

We’ve been seeing about the same in support lately. If you’re having this error, try rolling back to earlier drivers. For those of you on Windows 11, this wouldn’t be available, but since Windows 11 is a beta OS still and not currently supported, we can’t provide any extra help with that anyway. You can test on a separate Windows 10 install if you like. We’re not exactly sure which ones are working just yet but if someone finds a specific build that is fixing the problem, please reply back and let us know.

If you do find that the problem is resolved on earlier drivers, you’d need to report the problem to Nvidia so they can fix it on the more recent drivers.

2 Likes

That did it.
For some reason, I had experimental driver 510.10 installed, I think it was pushed by windows update.

Searching for the latest drivers on nvidia’s website gave me 471.96. Installed that and went to the last waypoint in Act IV, encountered blood maggot and did not experience the black box problem. I’ll run some test later with different resolutions, but so far so good!

Thanks!

same issue. windows 11, 2070 super, please help :slight_smile:

For those of you on Windows 11, this wouldn’t be available, but since Windows 11 is a beta OS still and not currently supported, we can’t provide any extra help with that anyway.

As of today, Windows 11 is officially released.

If you’re experiencing the black box / texture issue on Windows 11 with the latest drivers please go ahead and Bug Report it. If this is actually a bug the QA team should be able to reproduce it and work with the devs to determine where the fix needs to happen (game client, drivers, OS, etc).

Thanks!

found a workaround for my 2070 super on windows 11. if you uninstall your video card drivers and then download 472.12 from the nvidia site the texture issues go away. my issue was with a newer driver than 472.12. not sure if the issue is on blizzard or nvidia to fix, but 472.12 works fine

Excuse the quality and the background noise (haha), filmed with my beautiful phone. I’m not aware of the existence of OBS huehue.

But here’s a visual representation of the issue: Diablo 2: Resurrected Graphical Glitches (Black, Transparent, Colored Boxes) on Windows 11 - YouTube

The fix is like mentioned in this thread to downgrade from 510.10 to 472.12.

Hello All

I am getting the same issue under the same circumstances, but I am not using an nVidia card. I am using an HP laptop currently while my PC is repaired. It uses Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (the display adapter). Navigating the Intel site has been a challenge. Has anyone tried rolling those drivers back?

Interestingly, my PC, before it died, was using an nVidia 1070 series card with the latest drivers and never had the issue (Win 10)

Thanks.

Downgrading nvidia drivers from 495.44 back to 470.74 fixed this for me (980 ti) on Linux.

1 Like

On going problem.
This occurs regularly as well with any of the A2 cats, melee or ranged.