Arcane Sanctuary sucks as a Summoner

I could legit go mow the lawn or do something else for 30mins whilst my one skeleton whacks away at 6 goats on the stairs whilst the other eights just stand there with their bone in the hands.

And why is whenever I go through there, it’s always the last section I clear out that gets me what I need… is it designed this way or is it just bad RNG?.. it’s RNG, I just answered my own question haha.

The whole pace of Act 2 slows down when you hit Maggot Lair and Arcane Sanctuary.

6 Likes

Yes it sucks and your not the first to complain about it.

As your merc usually does more damage than the skellys if you are stuck with one skelly at the top and your merc behind it, unsummon the skelly. Get your merc into the fight.

I also recommend attract so you can get the monsters fighting themselves to help give you a body to CE. Use your curses creatively. You could dim vision the group you will fight before they hit the stairs so they don’t clog up the exit from the stairs. Summon your golem on the other side of the fight to keep things interesting.

RNG Hates you…

1 Like

I guess you haven’t tried Maggots Lair yet.

2 Likes

I agree it is tedious, what I did was arm up with ranged weaponry and plowed through faster. I believe I kept the rogue for the maggot lair too.

gotta love maggot lair the physicall immune, LOL
Get an enigma and you"ll be set and good gear for the merc mine was sucking now he’s spanking.

Yeah sans enigma you better spec into corpse explosion and bone spear otherwise its like watching paint dry. Don’t even get me started on act 3. Necro shines in act 1,4, and 5 the rest is a gd chore.

Buy a staff with Level 1 Teleport (x/x charges)
from drognan. Leave city, go walk into rocky waste, walk back, it reloads the store.

It’s not just that. Any place with tight corridors, Tunnels, Sewers, Arcane Sanctuary, Maggot Lair … all of these environments massively penalize summoners. They are all nightmarish. The fact that your summons block each other is one of the biggest issues.

If they allowed your own summons to move through each other that one change would go a LONG way toward improving summoner’s lives. Imagine your army not being blocked at a doorway by one mage who decided to shoot from there… yeah.

1 Like

I think if I replayed a Summon necro I would be actively finding teeth/bone spear wands to make my life a bit easier. Or put a few points early on into teeth so you can kill weird stuff your skellies aren’t focusing down.

That’s an essential part of the toolkit. I’ve read guides which focus on Skeletons more or less alone, but that’s foolish. Crowd control is vital and some direct damage is important.

For me, I skip Clay Golem and prefer the Fire Golem as Holy fire gains and tends to keep aggro. Using a Might Act 2 merc with a decent Insight polearm and you can resummon the Fire Golem all day, along with all Revives, without ever running out of mana.

After that, every curse has it place and ideal role and none should be ignored, but anyone skipping Dim Vision is doing themselves a great disservice. You can effectively immobilize a third of the screen with a single Dim Vision cast. So, the F.G. is holding most aggro (meaning your Skeletons stay alive to do damage), you are locking down everything on the screen until your army is killing it and you occasionally contribute massive damage with Corpse Explosion.

If you are looking to amp your direct damage, consider the 2 piece Trang-Oul bonus which grants a level 18 Fireball to boot. For Fire immunes fall back on your Bone Damage (whatever your preferred flavour).

Would be nice if devs reduced summons collision by 1/2

With regard to Drognan, firstly Teleport does not really solve the problem, as anyone who plays a summoner knows. You still have the collision issue and teleporting into a dangerous unknown area is often suicidal on higher difficulties as it takes almost a full second for your army to deploy, while you are fully vulnerable.

Second is Drognan, normal Act1 does not sell any staff with charges beyond level 12 spells typically. You’ll have to wait until Act 3 Ormus to shop such a staff. Don’t get me wrong, having a Teleport staff on your swap is crucial, especially for Act 5, the fortifications in the early areas right up until you depart Arreat Plateau are murder for summons, I just wanted to correct the imprecisions so no one wastes their time or gets killed (as an HC player stupid risks are not an option).