Allow Sockets / Runewords in Throwing Weapons

I suggest to allow sockets in throwing weapons, or allow runewords to be applied to throwing weapons by cubing the base item with the required runes.

Add either new recipes for throwing weapon, or consider them as barbarian masteries consider them; either axe or spear, for existing runewords.

This would also open up barbarian spear class to having an end-game usable spear-class 1-hander to use in conjunction with a shield.

1 Like

Would socketing a stack even make sense? I mean you could socket 1 or few in the stack but it just wouldn’t be logical for a single socket to affect the whole stack. Now a socketed or enchanted quiver would make sense and with that, we need magic arrows added to the game!

I considered this argument and feel that it makes as much sense as there being a stack of crafted, unique, or rare throwers - each quantity of those would have to be a copies of itself. Unless we consider, that in any case, the thrower to be a single weapon that can release a magical copy of itself x amount of times depending on it stats, and requires repair after the original single weapon has worn down.

I think it is a good idea, I think there would be 2 sockets max on a thrown weapon

I have made some runeswords for throwing weapons
(note i am terrible at balancing so take the numbers with a pinch of salt)

“Sting” (for a necromancer as +2 skills does naturally spawn on rare throw weapons)
AmnUm

• 7% Life stolen per hit (Amn)
  • 25% Chance of Open Wounds (Um)
  • 2-3 to Necromancer Skill Levels
  • 30-40% Increased Attack Speed
  • 200-300% Enhanced Damage
  • 28-49 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
  • 940-1633 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)
  • 700 poison damage over 5 seconds
  • -10% to Enemy Poison Resistance
  • Replenishes quantity [1 in 5 sec.]

“Explode” (for barbarins)
FalGul

• 20% Bonus to Attack Rating (Gul)
  • 10 to Strength (Fal)
  • 10% Chance to cast level 28 Fire Bolt on striking
  • 25% Chance to cast level 11 Corpse Explosion when you Kill an Enemy
  • 2-3 to Barbarian Skill Levels
  • 40% Increased Attack Speed
  • 300% Enhanced Damage
  • 9% Life stolen per hit
  • 1500 to Attack Rating
  • Replenishes quantity [1 in 5 sec.]

“Strike” (for any class)
GulBer

• 20% Bonus to Attack Rating (Gul)
  • 20% crushing blow (Ber)
  • 2 to all skills
  • 1 throw mastery
  • level 7 Concentration aura while equip
  • 30% attack speed
  • 150% Enhanced Damage
  • 10 all Resistance
  • Replenishes quantity [1 in 3 sec.]

ROFL
THis is a fantasy game and you ask this question?
Does magic make sense?
How are skeletons more than a bunch of bones lying on the ground?
And so on?!

2 Likes

You beat me to it. This is a game, something like sockets in a stack doesn’t need to make sense. It doesn’t make sense that you can have 1 left in your stack, have charsi smack it with her hammer, and it’s back to a full stack lol. That said, I think it would be cool if they added rune words to throwables. But before they get to work on that, I’d much rather see some QoL improvements. Some have been asked for since we’ll before D2R was even a thought.

2 Likes

I agree

If bows can have sockets why not throwing items

From what we get, throwing items have to be in some kind of bag or quiver

Otherwise you would be encombered by the cheer number of let’s say axes a stack can have

It has to be a quiver that can spawn copied of them when the item has replenish mode

That bag/quiver is where the sockets would be

Alternatively the throwing weapon can have socket and every throw launches a magical duplicate of itself

Give them 4 sockets so I can have grief on my throw barb, TY

Jokes aside I think sockets and quantity improvements would go a long way for the game. Would also be VERY interesting if poison dagger applied to throwing knives as well… granted the Necro attack frames are garbo

“Poison dagger” should really be just “poison” and include all weapon types. That skill needs big improvements, and synergy skills outside of the poison tree so it is its own separate build - such as synergy with bone armor (because up close fighting) and lower res

I agree but lorewise and from a fantasy perspective I don’t think they ever will do that. Unless they want to just dupe the “venom” skill from assassin and give it to necro as well. I think making daggers a decent melee weapon in their own right is enough to justify such a narrow scoped skill. And bringing necro attack frames up.

There does exist a crossbow with + necro skills that doesnt make sense otherwise, though.

There were some ranged weapons aimed specifically at casters using. I think the idea of this weapon is that poison nova is expensive mana wise early on, so attaching it to a weapon made sense for early characters. Granted almost all uniques have been lost to time as they haven’t been reworked to fit with the current damage scaling of the game.

But that’s a whole other issue and rather off topic.

It’s better that at least one type of build can escape using runeword weapons.

Let me hole punch this one stick on top of my bag of sticks so they may be enchanted.

It have been a while of requesting it in D2. Personally, I think it is a good idea. Even from the game side why you cannot draw runes or place gems on throw weapons?

First iteration: making it like rabies propagation, the difference between both being that psn dagger is a flat psn damage determined by the skill Vs rabies is a psn damage value based on weapon damage

Second iteration:

Poison dagger now spawns poisonous Flying scimitars when you kill an enemy with the skill

Flying scimitar don’t generate more spawns unless you tagged the monster

Sadly didn’t took a video of it before I lost my data