Allow free and easy skill resets (again)

I am mentioning this because I just read an article from WoW’s head of development. They got it wrong! They made a system which locked you into a “covenant” and “essences” (essentially, skills) and they made it very hard to let you change and/or experiment with your abilities (skills). There was outcry on the forums since beta, but they were arrogant “we know better than you what you need” and went ahead.

Now, they have made a 180 degree turn, and have taken all the restrictions out. You can freely swap skills without the time gating, the repetition and without penalties.

It is EXACTLY the same in D2 - not letting us change skills is not making the game better for us. There is no challenge in NOT changing skills, it’s just awkward. You got to read guides instead, you got to experiment with hacked characters on Single Player, you got to level another character even if this one becomes messed up.

So from the above 3 choices, which one is “fun”? Reading guides? Hacking characters on Single Player and spending all the extra time just to discover that an idea for a build does or does not work? Before I commit to the “Online” character?

Please please allow us free and easy reskills!

7 Likes

unlimited resets in single player:

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply, but missed the point. We are talking about battle.net online characters.

1 Like

Is that not already allowed? There’s 3 resets per character + tokens farmed from boss essences, what more do you want, exactly? Just like…free and unlimited respecs so you don’t have to think or plan or do anything like that with your character? Idk that that’s a good idea.

18 Likes

ah. There’s currently tokens of absolution to reset in legit mode lol

5 Likes

Make tokens, You already have easy access to respecs.

6 Likes

make or trade a token…nuff said…
or even better!:

PLAN your build before you randomly distribute points…

5 Likes

It makes your choices meaningful. There’s planning involved. Back in my day
THERE WERE NO RESPECS. And no synergies!

Want a frozen orb sorc? Save those points and good luck with a level 1 ice bolt and glacial spike. Blizzard. Until 30.

Want a WW barb? Level 1 bash your way to 30 with a slow maul or pike.

This was the best diablo 2.

14 Likes

No. Respec is more than easy enough. L2P issue.

7 Likes

Let me tell you how “plan your build” can work now, and this my friend is The Elephant in the Room.

“Planning” means play a hacked SP character to try things out before you decide what works and what you’d like to do and then copy the skills to the online character. A hacked SP character can be any level, any skills, any weapons, real or imaginary, any resistances, immunities, anything you like. You could make such a character and test things out on SP, go into all the acts and see what works and whether you like the playstyle. In one hour you could test 20 different skill combinations on your Amazon or Sorceress, at any level in the game, against any boss or farming area.

And maybe then only commit to the online. There are also online D2 simulators you could use to see what weapon or armour works well.

We could already do this, all of us who “L2P” can.

Please let us have free skill resets.

1 Like

So just keep cheating in SP then, they already added unlimited respecs, you aint getting em any easier.

4 Likes

really?

Never heard of a Diablo 2 skill planner? It’s a very useful tool.

1 Like

Like I said, of course you can use d2 maxroll. However nothing beats trying it “live”. You cannot “imagine” how the skills will play out (excuse the pun), not until you actually play.

1 Like

anyway. if anyone want to change the build in time… this is NOT the game for him or her.

1 Like

You have 3 shots at making a viable build after your first build and before you need to farm for Tokens… If you failed 4 times, maybe you should rethink or research info about the game.

8 Likes

Except in D2’s case it’s the original playerbase that’s telling you “no”. You have three free resets as you go up in difficulty tiers, plus infinite farmable resets from Essences. These are appreciated, and they’re plenty. The convenience of a respec rather than roll another char is part of the game’s economy/reward loop.

2 Likes

If you wana try a build go for it. If it doesnt work out, use one of your free respecs and try something else.

Your own laziness isnt a reason to remove player commitment from the game.

4 Likes

Care Bear Stare - I mean WoW is trash. Who cares what they did in that game? D2 used to be so much more unforgiving and then it started to go the route of EASY. I am actually glad they stopped development on it when they did. This game is already too easy. :man_facepalming:

Games that punish you for making mistakes are almost non-existent these days.

5 Likes

free respecs would remove the challenge. its also misleading to say no free respec is not a challenge. this is fact would make the game much easier. if you can respec for free no cost. you then can easly respec when you run in to say fire immune mobs. your just asking for the game to be easy. D2/D2R is not a game for causual gamers/players

free no cost respec means you
1 you are not playing a build but a class
2 no char build you play will ever have a weakness free no cost respec will remove this. which is the challenge. learning to deal with your builds weaknesses. as i stated above about immunities

fun fact unlimited respecs is already in the game you just have to farm the 4 essence and then craft a token of absulution using the cube. what your asking is in the game already you just have to work for it. most ARPGs dont just hand you free respec like D3 does. most have some form of a cost to respecing.

spoiler alert! D4 will also have respecing at a cost most likly using gold. D4 is not going to just hand you free respecs. respecing on the fly when ever you want is not a challenge at all.

3 Likes