Act 3 mercs still bad 2.4

Agreed, I also would like to see orbs as an option for act 3 mercs.

It would be nice if they used their utility skills a bit more frequently too. The lightning merc never seems to cast static.

1 Like

Agreed, they should be programmed to cast utility spells first during battles and more often.

Dont think they are that bad, at least they have some sort of use and i would consider an a3 merc if i play mostly multiplayer assuming the other 7 players will run a2/a5 mercs.

Elemental Masteries + being able to block (but dont think thats possible) would be the way to go i think.

they also do good damage in normal, especially when you havent got good gear for your a5 or a2 merc.

Elemental Masteries + being able to block would be the way to go i think.

agree.

being able to block (but dont think thats possible)

it is possible, it just depends on how much work you are willing to put in. if he hasnā€™t got blocking animation you would have to create them. donā€™t know if VV has people to do that available. i mean maybe you could copy the animations from another character to a3ā€™s model over. but i donā€™t know enough about 3d modeling and animation to judge how much work that would be.
if they had the animation you would have to decide if you want a flat blocking chance (easy to implement) or dependent on the shield you would wear (could be harder).

I highly doubt they would put that much time into give a3 mer block animations - think that goes much deeper into the game then they are willing to do.

Think i would go with a block chance depending on shield - using paladin block rate/chance. Think there should be some diversity in their item choice or we would just use spirit only.

A high block chance would definitely help with their survivability. They already have a shield it makes no sense that they canā€™t block. Just up their dex a bit and block away.

fixed what? Thatā€™s I personally modded MY act 3 mercs in MY single player mod.

I made them very good, even with little to no synergy because I gave them all high resitances and elemental pierce. But thatā€™s how I play itā€¦ Blizzard can do whatever they want for Bnet balance.

Act 3 Iron Wolf

• Can now use Staffs and Orbs and gain +sorceress skill bonuses from gear. As Act 1 receives +amazon skill bonuses and Act 5 receives +barbarian skill bonuses, then it makes sense Act 3 should receive +sorceress skill bonuses

Hoping to hear an update for the ptr soon. I really want to use a good act 3 merc when the ladder starts.

1 Like

in normal he will always be good. in my pala runthrough i switched to one in act 3 normal because i didnt have proper polearm gear. fire and cold could hold their own very well. ofc it will be less once you enter nightmare

it isnā€™t so much about where he get + skill from. Even without staffs and orbs iron wolf can still get plenty of + skill from gear as simple as spirit.

It has more to do with the skills and how they perform.

1 Like

Please at least give the mercs some elemental masteries. They already have low damage because of the lack of sinergies.

1 Like

Agreed, Iā€™m hoping to hear good news about the act 3 merc in the next update.

Masteries and higher skill lvls. They should also have higher stats to be able to wear more gear.

They donā€™t do enough dmg, and have no utility.

I agree on the higher stats for the act 3 merc so they can wear more gear.

The ability to equip a monarch shield would help a lot. He could definitely use a boost to strength.

1 Like

Agreed, Iā€™ve always thought it kinda funny about his lack of strength and inability to equip a monarch shield. This merc needs to do some bench press and get his strength up.

Well if we look at their lore, they excell both in swordsmanship and magick. But in D2 they donā€™t use their swords to attack enemies in melee range. And when I hear they call them spellsword, I see warriors enhanceing their gier whit magic. Enchanting their swords to and their own senses, to defeat foes in close combat, while hurling spells at others from afar. They should have unique combat abilities to reflect their fantasy. It could be a mix of Barb and pally skills whit sorceress spell in top. But then these skill should calculate differently because they wonā€™t have any synergies. They would have a melee skill, a defensive skill and a ranged elemental aoe spell.

I donā€™t really want them in melee tbh. They need better end/mid game setups. Skill +s barely help them, casting speed and elemental % damage boosts are honestly the best stats for them. But your pretty limited in options there, especially for end game setup.