Accidentally deleted my D2R character

Why no one cares about this in BZ???

I also just deleted my character, by accidentally pressing X+A on xbox controller, when trying to put the controller down. This design needs to change ASAP before more ppl deleted their toon by accident.

2 Likes

I did the same. 91 sorc with Infinity and pretty much bis gear.

Im probably done playing till ladder lol i feel dumb for wasting 200 hours and then deleting it myself lol

1 Like

Hello,
In my case, I was just exiting the game quickly and my brain for some reason went quickly to the big red X and quickly confirmed the prompt, deleting my character. I am devastated and lost a lot of hours now as well. I feel like we should have to type in DELETE to confirm deletion of a character, controller users should be given a set of buttons in order to press to confirm the delete after initiating a character delete. I feel so sad and devastated, this ruined my weekend as I was having a blast on D2R but now my character is mistakenly deleted.

Dev if you have some sympathy, please consider restoring my character: Rainmaker

Great remake overall! I’d consider this a UI issue likely to devastate others to come in the future.

1 Like

True but BZ don’t care about it

Looks like we got enough engagement to get something done about this! Thanks to all who replied! And thanks to the devs for the incoming fix.

1 Like

yes gj you got them to waste time on your inability to read, meanwhile the servers are going down daily and crashes are getting worse if anything.

2 Likes

Inability to read? You’re projecting. Know how I know? You didn’t read my original post which clearly highlighted the problem with controller based deletion, namely that it is possible to accidentally push X+A almost simultaneously, resulting in a delete. People have literally dropped their controllers and had their character deleted.

If you can explain to me how you can read a prompt that resides on the screen for 0.001 of a second before your character is deleted, I’m happy to rescind my comment.

1 Like

so accidently or did the game do it? coz the game can do that its called Bull.

Even if an intersection has stop signs and lights, if it has a high number of severe accidencts that have a big impact they will do something to evaluate and improve.

In this case it resolves several issues at once:

• reduces accidental deletions that ruin the game for people
  • eliminates the question of “accidental” vs game bug. If they can remove the accidental deletion issues then they can narrow down the actual bug issues. It should remove 95% of the problems.
  • Reduces tickets to CS for something they can’t help with

That is good for players and good for Blizz. Deleting a high level char with many hours of play time and no way to recover is a pretty negative game experience best avoided or remedied.

2 Likes

that is why we hand out tickets to punish people who don’t pay attention (kind of like how they get punished by losing characters for not paying attention) in those situations, we don’t pull out the traffic lights and add road spikes to make sure every car stops instead.

also if just down the road they have a spot were everyone on the road gets hit daily no matter what they do even if they are obeying the laws and paying attention you would expect them to fix that significantly bigger problem first.

also any form of road signage would be nice but i know that is asking too much. apparently blizzard can’t communicate with players any more and that saddens me.

Did you support the original character delete functionality for D2R?

i supported the beta version of it that didn’t even have a tutorial for it because it seemed very easy to understand, but after the tutorial was added i didn’t think anyone could possibly mess it up. I was wrong because i guess people just don’t pay attention now days.

i wouldn’t have minded if they wanted to change it some what in the future for people after they fixed all the actually broken parts of the game but currently we don’t even know what is broken besides the obvious crashes and servers going offline daily because we still have 0 documentation from launch nearly 3 weeks later…

Well, I can see how players could mindlessly press two controller buttons simultaneously that are located right next to each other on accident.

i can’t think of the game names off the top of my head were i am 100% certain you can do it but i know games before on ps2 and xbox 360 have had 2 if not 1 button press to delete characters. the whole point is if i am told the x button on my controller (or square for ps or y for switch) is the delete character button, i don’t press that button on the character screen.

There should be a confirmation window for consoles like how that virtual keyboard pops up so they can type Delete to confirm the deletion of their character and on PC like in World of Warcraft to delete a character you have to confirm it by typing delete. It’s the same company, so why didn’t they use the same character deletion functionality that they have used for World of Warcraft for over 15+ years now to help safe guard players characters? It was a lazy design choice due to time restraints and not wanting to allocate the resources required to implement their World of Warcraft character deletion system.

Just tested new patch on PC, works great. They changed the icon to a trash can, but more significantly, you now have to press and hold “yes” for a full 5 seconds before your character will delete. This should pretty much eliminate all accidental deletions. Thanks again devs, and thanks to all.

5 Likes

But what I need is character restoration

I won’t be reinstalling the game, accidentally deleted, was logging off after playing for some time, was having fun. all that fun gone. whelp. Since they can’t fix that, I will not be wasting time in that game again.

what is your suggestion if a red button with a trashcan on it and a warning message dont cut it for you?

*maybe adding a “type delete” type of thing?

1 Like