Accidental delete of character

I just tried hooking the controller to my pc to try it out , when trying to select my character with the controller it deleted my character !! I literally was lvl 80 had occy viper magi so much time invested this is ridiculous- how can I loose all my effort that easy and quick? That is absurd and should be compensated or my character brought back at the very least …

Yeah you’re a real hero.
Clear headed genius.
This comment is negative in reaction to a negative comment which bring nothing constructive and that I cannot flag for being such a comment.
Therefor I reply with the same energy that was displayed in TimberWolf-1533 original comment: Pure retardation and self loathing. Good luck to you in the fields of justice

The problem here is that every single RED X Button in the game is used to close Windows.
I could include a screenshot I took from every frame in the game. But I can’t post an image here.
RED X everywhere in this game means: Close window.
Except 1 place where it means: Delete character.

This cannot be a mistake or an oversight.
This is by design. Some designer intentionally projected for people to delete their character accidentally. Call me anything you want; I’ll call you anything I want.

There is no other explanation here.
This is designed as such that people will accidentally delete their characters.
Characters which they’ve spent countless hours playing with.
Deleted within 2 seconds by a single action whilst tired.

By Design.

The arrogance here is astounding. Bet you’ve never made a single small mistake in your entire life hey! As a senior game developer I have no idea how this EVER passed QA let alone hasn’t been fixed after literally thousands of complaints since beta, it’s 101 UX design and this is a abysmal flow that is absolutely guaranteed that this would happen to people eventually. It doesn’t matter it it’s obvious to you, it’s a NORMAL flow that people would do on multiple games/apps all the time and the fact that it ends it the permanent and irreversible removal of you CURRENTLY ACTIVELY SELLECTED character is mind blowingly bad design. It’s so easy to make a very impactful mistake. It’s not hard, but it’s not safe either.

This needs to be fixed ASAP, it should have been fixed and shipped in a day, any job I’ve EVER been at, this would be an emergency fix, I’d be booking it to make such a simple change… Blizzard you REALLY need to fix this asap.

2 Likes

learned my lesson the easy way by accidentally deleting a relatively new character. This is so stupid though. Just have the old button that says “DELETE” instead of an X that makes it seem like an exit.

You would think it’s an easy fix, since they’ve already done it in World of Warcraft. However, you’re talking about Activision Blizzard, which given the current state of their reputation should speak on it’s own.

Just accidentally deleted my lvl 80 char. Was doing Countess runs on controller for hours and went back to main menu and managed to press the only 2 buttons necessary to delete a character. Happened in less that .2 seconds. Days of work down the drain.

Happened to me last night. I was tired and I was in act 5 normal where I deleted my level 27 druid. For someone who has played Diablo 3 for years it doesn’t help that they put the delete button right where the exit game button is in Diablo 3.

So I accidently deleted an 81 sorc by picking up my controller hitting X → A. All you have to do is pick up the controller and happen to press those buttons in the right order and poof character is gone. I can also see the possibility of handing someone a controller and them trolling and deleting all characters within like 2 seconds. I don’t think this will be acceptable on console if it is this easy to delete a character.

Would recommend- an internal timer, so you have to wait 3s or something before you can accept deleting. Also would recommend some way of confirming other than a button (maybe press a few key combinations to confirm)

• List item
1 Like

They should change it. The button looks like the close program button from other games and software. I’m already wired to press the x for that purpose. Please change it.

I have just done the same… And probably this thread will get longer and longer every day because some idiot designed it that way, and the great blizzard can’t even help it… Do you guys do any backups at all? Or if some server crashes it will wipe everything? Bravo. I’m bored with WoW, D2:R gave me fun again with blizzard games, but I guess it’s time to say goodbye. Too bad I can’t do refunds anymore.

1 Like

I just deleted a Hardcore level 47 because I was testing the profanity filter on naming characters, and went to delete a bunch of characters in rapid succession and my main character went along with them. It is incredibly easy to accidentally delete a character unintentionally.

Fortunately I started a SC character when the game first launched and played it for a couple days. At least I have something to do until I cool my jets. I’m way to salty to start a new HC char right now because of this. You’re supposed to lose your character to dying; not to deleting LOL

Happened to me just now. Accidentally deleted my HC toon after grinding some hours. Was about to sleep and mistook it for the exit button. Hope this can be resolved. G’nyte

Ahh, and now it was my turn to do the same. Lvl 34 Necro, had 1 quest left…
Cmon Blizzard, what the hell is this ux?

1 Like

85 javazon lost, good job blizzard, i’m out.

3 Likes

My LVL 54 sorc is gone, as well as 4 days of play. I don’t even remember pressing X, usually I press ESC to exit the game. But after a working day, I went home to play D2, and I couldn’t find my character. Diablo 2 is one my favorite games of all time, I’ve been playing it for ages and it has never happened to me. I don’t even know what to say, I don’t want to play anymore.

2 Likes

Just accidently deleted my 65 sorc due to the small x right under the create character, was trying to create alt, but ended up deleting the main. I hope to get my character back, and D2R should implement a graceperiod of final delete like 7 days before deleted character gets wiped completely.

3 Likes

cruddddd, I just zoned out when trying to exit diablo and deleted my level 72 druid. Sad day… they need to change that “x” design

6 Likes

Reposting this/locking thread. While everybody’s feedback is entirely understandable, this isn’t the right place for it and we don’t forward this type of feedback since this forum is focused on tech issues.