A webcam always on ladder

Why not? Have community volunteers startup conversations with random people, as an audit, throughout the day. Botting would be virtually eliminated. Anybody playing enough to have bot level wealth will constantly get checked in on with conversation.

It would be a fun experiment. And a completely optional thing. Have a regular ladder, and a webcam ladder. I’m sure you will get lots of support knowing that it would be the first time Diablo 2 is experienced with a real economy.

inb4:

That sounds horrible I would never want to play that!

Then don’t. Lots of people would want to play it. You can go play regular ladder. Not liking this option is not an argument to be against it.

so everyone becomes a streamer to play in this mode? lol

dont think this was well thought through. i can only imagine the outrage of people knowing their webcam video files are being stored blizzard side. and if its purely “live stream”, then does the webcam idea really achieve anything? if your webcam is broken do you get immediately banned from the ladder? if someone doesn’t respond to someone randomly dropping into their ears do they get banned from the ladder? hows it suppose to work and keep the integrity of “no bots”?

tl;dr, get a webcam, microphone, and good enough internet to maintain a live stream of your camera and audio. ensure everyone who would come into your room knows theyre going to be blasted to the world. i just dont see this being practical for most people…

1 Like

This is insane, and no.

Aside obvious privacy, there are ways of creating virtual fake webcams in your 1984 style gaming.

5 Likes

No you’re not streaming. It’s only on so if somebody checks in on you, you can communicate.

I mean anybody that would have a problem with it can simply just do the regular ladder that we already have. This would only be optional for people that would be intrigued by the situation.

I have a feeling it would end up more popular though.

Yes, if you’re caught without your webcam on. Pretty hardcore, yes. If you don’t like it then you can play the regular ladder.

Well if you have issues with the privacy then simply play the regular ladder. If somebody doesn’t have a problem with it then they would choose this option.

Absolutely not.

Massive invasion of privacy.

I’m glad you understood that’s how people would react, because the idea is absurd on its face.

6 Likes

But people who would play this wouldn’t be worried about the privacy issue. If it’s an issue to you, simply just play the regular ladder. This is an additional option for those who think it would be a great time.

A botless economy is a thing of dreams.

What people?

Who would play this nonsense? Do you have no memory of the Real ID fiasco Acti/Blizz had a few years back?

2 Likes

Yeah real id was a horrible idea because it would force everybody into it. This is just an optional thing. Plenty of people would play with a webcam on to have a botless economy. I guarantee it.

Did you know in your account there is an option to use your real name. No one complains about that. That’s because it’s just an option. Just because a webcam ladder exist doesn’t mean you have to use it.

That was the compromise to real ID. They went ahead with it anyway, despite no one choosing it because its awful.

Real “trust me, bro” energy there.

Hard pass. This idea is so bad.

1 Like

Right, and notice how the controversy went completely away then. No one cares about it because you simply don’t have to use a real name; It’s just an option. Just as you wouldn’t have to use a webcam ladder. But it will be available for those who want a pure, unbotted economy.

I would of course stand against compulsory webcam usage to play a ladder. That would be insane. But that’s not what I’m talking about.

Well, good news! You don’t have to play it. If you don’t like the idea you can simply play the regular ladder as normal. It literally is completely irrelevant to you, so standing against it makes no logical sense.

No, it’s a complete waste of development resources I would rather go elsewhere at a bare minimum.

In the worst case, it starts to get more widely adopted and eventually becomes a requirement for certain games and I lose access to those games because I refuse to let companies invade my privacy in this manner.

This is likely the heart of any kind of dissent to the idea. Which would mean it would be very successful. Which means that you would be holding players back from the kind of game they want to actually play by standing against it. I’m comfortable with that being the only dissent to this idea.

i mean i know this is satire for the people asking for SSF. but the same arguments against it exist… its a waste of resources, and if it wasnt it would further split a playerbase already split 8 ways between hardcore ladder/ NL and softcore ladder nl and all of of those for classic.

doubling that would be a 16 way split.

if this game had a ton of player like the original d2 maybe… but as long as they keep bleeding players because chat is broken and them not addressing spam bots. and not fixing bugs. this is a terrible place to throw resources at.

if u were to take the OP’s idea as not satire,
i would also argue that blizzard already caters to streamers WAY too much. this is further step in that wrong direction.

1 Like

I am against this idea because it is a broad invasion of privacy and we must stop normalizing / accepting such trespass against ourselves and others.

2 Likes

Well first off, its not an invasion of privacy when you consent to it…

Second, no, this is crazy lol, you went full Sekskalibur with this one, Bodach.

2 Likes

Well hey, it’s an idea. A bad one? Well…
I’m not rdy to admit that yet. Give me a day or so. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Wow i cant even, what the fu

Well I knew you wouldn’t like it.

Well… to be honest I like it better than a captcha?

1 Like