A way to dethrone Enigma as BIS that Haters and supports can agree with and in total support

devs could you take a moment to consider changing the Necromancers Attract curse from “The Cursed monster becomes the target of all nearby monsters.” to this “Cursed Monster becomes the Focus of all of the Necromancers Minions.”
If changed it would allow the player to focus on a single target to greatly increase the effectiveness of the Necros Minions as well as make use of Attract more strategic being as if focused on the Target they will ignore other Monsters making them vulnerable to attack if cast on a group. When fighting Baal you could focus your Minion damage on just baal and ignore the tentacles that currently break up your damage output.
This change to Attract would give players a way to do what Current Necro Players can only achieve by Obligatory Equipping of Enigma to Tele-Stomp monsters. This would vastly increase the amount of viable chest slots for Necromancers to choose from creating more build possibilities and not obligate players to acquire Enigma to get the most efficient end game utility. Attract is never used by players due to it being near the bottom of the tree and on the opposite side of where all the most useful Curses. Not to mention its not even worth the points to try and make it work because the necro already has great Crowd Control and Attract is useless on a Single Target.

This would satisfy the part of the community that hates Enigma and how it is obligatory to be on every class end game and makes any other chest piece inferior.

This would not change anything about Enigma and actually threaten to dethrone it as BIS for the Summon Necro without nerfing it jeopardizing other builds that require it such as the Hammerdin.

Both Enigma haters and supporters can get behind this in total agreement.

This would Provide an entry to end game playthrough to the part of the community that has a very difficult time finding High Runes alleviating the stress of many hours of hoping to drop the 2 rarest runes in the game in order to have the full potential of the build that as of today only Enigma provides.

It would give a much needed albeit limited control utility to the Necromancer to lower clear times and increase Damage output with a drawback if used poorly.

More choices would be presented to innovative players inspiring to create new builds and gear sets.

3 Likes

That actually makes sense. A Summoner should be able to control his minions to attack what target he wants. If he can bring them back from the dead why can’t he tell them where to go and whom to fight. This would be a very good upgrade to the curse tree.

I would also like to see some sort of toggle to force your minions to stay in front of you while moving. I know if I was a Necro in real life that’s the way I’d want my minions to act. With minimal gear to protect a summoner they really need the meat shields to protect them at all time. Staying in front would help.

2 Likes

Kind of a necro noob here, but wouldn’t using Attract on each target mean you aren’t using Amp or Decrep, which would lower the DPS of your minions? And for Baal, just killed him with a summon necro and the combo of decrep, freeze, golem slow with minions attacking meant he didn’t cast spells. There were no tentacles after the very start.

The buff to Attract does sound like a good idea, though. It’s always nice to have more curse options.

The narrow channels would still be the bottleneck. I proposed a replacement skill before but no traction. I would love to see a Summoner Skill - “Rally” that would result in the congregation of all summons to the designated location. With this, you could rally the army inside a door, versus all clogging in the doorway with one skellie hitting, and the rest watching.

I gave up hope on Enigma, I sport my cheap Tele Amulet and just tele when I need to.

Oh OP… I don’t even know where to begin, since so many points are off:

• Nec doesn’t NEED enigma to telestomp
  • attract has its use. The suggested change would make this skill absolute trash. Its a top tier skill already, which most people just don’t understand
  • even if you can target an enemy, it will still take too much time for the skellies to walk to the target. You will be faster teleing anyway (with staff)
  • etc

Sorry im too lazy.

Tldr: OPs change suggestion is bad
Tldr: making Tele charges cheap as peanuts would generate enough options. But then suddenly enigma becomes obsolete.

1 Like

Telly charges are cheap as peanuts, they are 2K per telly. If you actually take something back to town to sell it occasionally you get 35K per item. That’s 17 telly’s for the space of a wand, shrunken head etc.

I’ve watched so many streamers playing it who don’t bring 1 item back to town to sell even though it sells for 35K. Then they complain about having no gold. If you can’t take the effort to pick up a wand, ID it to make sure it has + to skills on it, then sell it for 35K…

Nothing is wrong with telly, charges are fine for everyone until you get enigma. I personally would just love an Amy with +2 skills, + resists and telly charges.

That’s not cheap by any means. I can’t remember how many charges I’ve used per CS run, but it was something around 60 or 70. That’s 120-140k gold per run. You need around 4 items, each worth 35k, to break even. And that brings me to:

That’s the way. If one wants to run efficiently, you would need as many +skills as you can get for a screen-nuke. IMO one can’t have enough +skills to CE period. That leads to having no space in inventory. Picking up Items, ID them at cain, run to jamela etc pp. Takes too much time. You wont have enough space anyway to take 4 of these items with you and its not like you find 4x35k-wands every run. This space is needed for potential high value loot. IF you’re picking potential 35k-items, then you need to go to town at least 1 additional time per run. Maybe more. That’s not efficient, since one run takes a BIG additional percentage of runtime. Its a waste of time IMO. Get a timer, do 10 runs with picking up such items and 10 without. (10 is not a big sample size but you get the idea fairly quickly) And you will see, that the runs suddenly take way longer (10-20% additional). Sure, i pick up 35k items at the end to fill up the tiny space left in inventory (2x4), but that’s not nearly enough to break even. Or its already full with newfound GCs and whatnot.

Tldr: telecharges for efficient fishy = VERY expensive

Tldr: +2/min15fcr/res/tele = more worth than 99% D2R players can afford, if such an item even exists. Having no fcr on Amy doesnt make sense to me. EDIT: Not sure at this one, since im not actively playing. Waiting for ladder.

One can ignore all these points, but then there’s no point in getting better gear. As you know, fishy can do it naked.

I use a knurled staff of Teleportation on my secondary weapon spot that I bought from Ormus. Did the run out and into town to reset his inventory. Took about 50 tries. I only use it in tight maps like the maggot level and Arcane Sanctuary or to gather to troops, stuff like that.
It’s not that expensive to keep charged. I’ll gross 30-40K (even more in Hell) in a Nightmare Countess run so recharging it is not a problem. Only when I first bought the staff in Normal did I have gold issues charging. Now I don’t even think about it.

kill command, this would be a good one, good thinking!..

Maybe it needs to become obsolete. All the gear in Diablo and everybody wants 1 specific chest. Means they need to make better things to compete with it…or to nerf the crap out of it.

Sure, the situation is probably not perfect. Let’s say enigma is removed: what other options become more useful?

Yes, it would . . . but think it through. After your skellies are attacking their target, you could then cast amp damager, or life tap, or whatever curse you’d desire. The attract would go away, BUT, they would stay locked in combat with the monster they were engaged with!

In general your thinking Taranto1989 is correct, except that Attract is very good as it is - so objection to your initial idea. However, it’d nice to replace Weaken with a new, unoverwritteable Focus curse which would do as you described, with addition of increasing attack rating for everyone affected by the curse.