A missed opportunity to give Unique models to Super-uniques

Most unique monsters never recieved their own model, not because that not how Blizz north intended it but because they didnt had the time to do it, instead they went for the shortcut of recolouring the asset of an existing monster

I know there isnt time anymore to do it until launch but have unique monsters have their own model would have been particularly in line with the “Visual remaster” of Diablo 2

they did change corpsefire, that means they know its the right thing to do

best example of this is the Counter, its just a green coloured hunter while that not how the countess is portrayed, that the countess
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/diablo/images/e/eb/Countess2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20181125062528

Quest bosses like countess should have their own model but other super unique wouldnt need to be a whole new Model, sometime just doubling the size of the model is enough to give it a real unique feel

here are Super-uniques that could get some Unique models and what could potentialy be done

• Bishibosh (Bigger size)

• Bonebreak (Bigger size)

• Coldcrow (Bigger size)

• Rakanishu (electric static around him)

• Treehead Woodfist (an A3 Ent with a small tree on his head)

• The Countess (Bigger size with the actual COuntess appearance)

• Pitspawn Fouldog(Bigger size)

• Bone Ash (Smoke around him)

• Radament (Unique model)

• Bloodwitch the Wild

• Fangskin (Bigger size with blood fang wounds)

• Beetleburst (change his lightning charge animation on hit with electric beetles)

• Fire Eye (double size with actual flames coming from his eyes)

• Dark Elder (Bigger size with long white hair)

• Ancient Kaa the Soulless (Bigger size, greyish, transluscent)

• Witch Doctor Endugu (Bigger size)

• Stormtree (Biggersize with static electricity)

• Battlemaid Sarina (Bigger size, white light dress)

• Icehawk Riftwing (Bigger size)

• Sszark the Burning (Bigger size, red hot legs)

• Ismail Vilehand (Bigger size, poisonous hands)

• Geleb Flamefinger (Bigger size, bruning hands)

• Toorc Icefist (Bigger size, actual icy hands)

• Wyand Voidbringer (Bigger size, recoloured Void black)

• Maffer Dragonhand (Bigger size, dragonscaly hands)

• Bremm Sparkfist (Bigger Size, actual static electricity on fists)

• Infector of Souls (Bigger size with Ethereal weapons)

• Grand Vizier of Chaos (Bigger size)

• Lord De Seis (Bigger size, made of Gold)

• Dac Farren

• Shenk the Overseer(bloody whip)

• Eldritch the Rectifier(make him a stand tall model)

• Thresh Socket

• Eyeback the Unleashed

• Sharptooth Slayer

• Frozenstein

• Bonesaw Breaker

• Snapchip Shatter

• Pindleskin

• Colenzo the Annihilator
    *Achmel the Cursed

• Bartuc the Bloody

• Lister the Tormentor

That never bothered me and never crossed my mind, but why not. Just don’t exaggerate with size increase, only slightly.

Yeah don’t need towering monsters, but mostly to make them feel different, to stand out from their pack

this is a genuinely cool idea i never even considered, i would definitely support this!
it would be a ton of work though.

New models for some of them would be nice, but please don’t mess with the sizes :grimacing:

That would be a very welcome and pleasant change, nice idea

What’s the problem with size?

Like why does it botter you that Bishibosh is 1.5x taller than the others just to stand out?

Fellows let’s not argue about size :smirk:

Because not every monster works like a 40k orc and increases size with power. Also they would look out of place, bigger monsters just don’t fit within D2. Also bigger hitboxes would change the gameplay. I like the idea with unique models though.

Yeah because Andy, Duriel,Diablo,Mephisto,Baal aren’t BIgger than commun monsters… it definitively has nothing to do with power

They are also demons, demonic traits are there to fear and intimidate, being bigger increases those traits

I was kind of hoping that since the focus on this remaster was basically a new skin over an old game. That we would get unique models for these types of enemies. I think would be a nice touch.
Also, would be interesting to see if they would be willing to give Lilith her own model in the Pandemonium Event as a cool little nod to D4.

The problem it’s because changing the original drawnings and original project art, wouldn’t make it a lremaster anymore and could make their rules fall.

If wasn’t on original project, they didn’t changed. Like the example they mentioned succubus reusing assassin assets and tyrael 3D model being based on the model that originated the 2D sprites.

While could be great would with new visuals, would be a remake in that regard, not a remaster. If didn’t preserved the art faithfully it’s a remake not a remaster.

Could be in line with the diablo 2 ressurrected graphics enhancements but not in line with remaster, because would be a remake. They could do UX like silluete and maybe a usage of “other” base color for the same asset, shouldn’t have any changes in that regard.

That’s why they tried to preserve audio, cinematics, character models, ambience and even a garlic. That’s the limitation of that choice.

In terms of graphic design, they got their on unique model designed to exactly that size they are in the game. Take these models and insert them in the size of an Fallen will just look as out of place as inserting an Fallen at the size of Andariel. Especially animations will start to look weird if the size gets altered to much.

In terms of lore you listed the evils, of course the are bigger then the normal demons. And that the increase of size with power doesn’t fit within D2 was meant for monster within the same race, an Fallen has a certain size, a unique Fallen is still an Fallen.

And i totally agree that it would be awesome if some of the monsters in your list (nice job btw) would get their own unique model.

Would be great to have new models for the unique monsters, that is a very nice idea.

I never talked about monsters being the size of Andy

You even quoted me saying 1.5x the size, a simple small size buff to make them more visible

1.5X on a fallen would make him tall as a shaman… that’s not really immersion breaking imho

It’s just a better visual indicator of their presence and their potential

Any argument saying “there’s no reason why they would be bigger” can be invalidated by “what’s the reason for being a different colour then?”

Anything that makes them more easily identified, to me, is not welcome. I don’t want to pick out unique and greater from a mass horde and slaughter them first, on purpose. In fact, I’d prefer that you can’t even read their affixes/properties and have the creatures of the same type all look the same, making it more difficult, even if slightly.

I get the other sided debate. I don’t agree with it.

Ugh don’t know why i’m still replying, cause you will ignore 90% anyway…
Enemies all have an similiar walking speed, balance wise.
So big enemies have animations that make smaller steps compared to small enemies, so that the moved distance and the leg movement match. If something is faster or slower (like e.g. some of the random rare monsters, or frozen) animation speed gets also increased / slowed down so everything matches again. If you now scale an model that was designed and animated to be small up, you have 3 options with all look creepy: either you ignore the mismatch and the enemy will look like moon-walking, or you roughly change animation speed to match, what makes the enemy appear super slow, or you change movement speed, which basically gives you a super big monster on ecstasy.

That and everything you ignored from my last post.

I have been thinking on this idea for a while. It would really add further depth and flavour to the game’s story!

That would be hilarious as a seasonal theme. Imagine logging in on 1st April and having bunch of Andariel size dolls charging at you during your visit in Durance.

Yeah especially since the original game was rushed

Completed the unfinished is not the same as altering the original final product