Why no BlizzCon app

Like the previous years

2 Likes

I don’t think it was necessary.

Here’s what is necessary:

1. When and WHERE things are happening. Schedule did poor job at that.

2. Information for Portal Pass holders. Just freaking sit down and decide what you’re offering and actually advertise it.

3. Have an ENTIRE hall dedicated to just viewing panels. There was EXTREME lack of simulcast seating.

Here’s why these things are issues. It disconnects the community during the 2 days we come together to geek out.

2 Likes

Just fyi - previous years had a schedule app updated live. In app watching for panels. It resolved most of the points you raised.

5 Likes

You’re not wrong, but really, the schedule can be (and was) just a web page. You could even Favorite events and filter by that, presumably with a cookie.

The schedule page just needed to be better.

So what else would the App have that could not be done with a web page?

Because it is the professional way of organizing events. Literally every convention has an app on apple/google store, even sema has an app and all you do is walk around and look at cars. It was just unacceptable to have the 2019 app and only update the blink store linking to the web page to buy things, that just screams “all I want is your money”.

I don’t see that. Apps aren’t hard to make, but given the choice, I’d rather the dev time and money go into other things. If the web site does the job, it’s fine.

So if there’s a function in the app that is missing in a web page, that’s relevant. If it’s just for optics, that’s not compelling to me.

That said, web pages are not great at notifying outside the page. A reminder popup that an event I care about is coming up would be great. So in that regard, I would like an app.

Not sure if you were here in previous years, but that’s what they did for previous years. They swapped to paper for this year.

They should have it both ways.
Have it available on an app, so that it would be able to easily be read.

But also have it in paper form for others that would like it. Some people like to take the maps as a momento, and may actually frame them.

Previous years they had a merch booklet. While the roadmap style pamphlet was neat it shouldn’t have been relied upon given last minute convention changes. The map we received was probably printed weeks or months prior to the convention. Having an app allows for last minute updates and ease of access to all things Blizzcon and the Blinkstore.