WoW Game Data + Profile endpoints

I’m tinkering around with some new stuff and just want to clarify some things ahead of time to try and avoid re-writes in the future.

It’s been recommended to migrate to the Profile API from the Community API where possible for some sources of data.

Given the updates to the Game Data API, I am guessing we should also be trying to move to the equivalent endpoints where possible there aswell?

This raises some questions

Community

• Is the Community API slowly being deprecated or just certain endpoints on it?

Game Data

• How do I find more information such as icons for talents and pvp talents using just the Game Data API ? Currently when querying the specializations, we only have access to a talent id, name and spell_tooltip which does not include the spell id.
  • Will a spell endpoint be introduced here? (similar to the item endpoint)

• When querying the Profile API we can see the spell id for a players selected talents. Given the above, would it be possible to include the spell id in the Game Data endpoints?
    Without it we are forced onto the older equivalent endpoints in the Community API that we were recommended to migrate from.

Given some of the drawbacks of the Profile and Game Data API’s such as making more requests to get the same information, lack of compression etc. I am not excited about making the move to them over the Community API equivalents, but will do it regardless if it comes down to it… just wanted to clarify some things first :grinning:.

1 Like

Based on the information currently available, the future of the API is indeed game data and profile APIs, but it seems to be a work in progress, so you should use the community until other option is available. Also note there is no ETA for deprecation, actually the word deprecation was never used by any blue post.

1 Like

I didn’t know see that post for the migration to Profile/Game Data, so that makes sense! I was confused on what the difference between some of the endpoints that shared similar data.

The major difference you’ll notice is regarding localization. If you don’t pass the locale queryString param to a community endpoint it will return the default value for the region. If you do the same to game data and profile you’ll get all available locales at once.

1 Like

Couple of things that come to mind which I’ve noticed that are different

• Some items that can’t be found on the Community endpoint can be found in Game Data’s equivalent. The downside is the Game Data item endpoint does not provide item icon information in the same request, you need to do a follow up request to the media endpoint.

• Querying gear in the Community endpoint for a player won’t give you information about the azerite selections in their neck piece, the Profile endpoint will.

This evidence suggests that the Game Data and Profile API’s will be the preferred option’s, but as it’s been pointed out, the Community endpoints are still needed. I speculate that the missing pieces of the puzzle will be eventually migrated over.

1 Like

You can download a complete cache of all items, locales and icons from my project here: https://gitlab.com/francisschiavo/wow-data to avoid following requests.
For a refined query I also maintain https://wow-query.dev

1 Like

Thanks, thats quite helpful. Is this something you have compiled from game assets or the API? I haven’t tried going directly to the source with the game assets before.

It is all from the API. I’ll release an update for Classic soon.