World of Warcraft API Patch Notes - 2020/04/14

Hey y’all,

We have a set of updates and bug fixes going out this week for the World of Warcraft Game Data and Profile APIs. The following patch notes are for the World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth API. They do not describe the World of Warcraft Classic API.

To explore these endpoints further, check out our official API Reference documentation on the Developer Portal, located here: WoW Game Data API Reference and WoW Profile API Reference.

Professions and Recipes

/data/wow/profession/index
/data/wow/profession/{id}
/data/wow/profession/{profession-id}/skill-tier/{skill-tier-id}
/data/wow/media/profession/{id}
/data/wow/recipe/{id}
/data/wow/media/recipe/{id}

Character Professions

/profile/wow/character/{realm-slug}/{character-name}/professions

Media

/data/wow/media/**/{id}

• Filled out the id field for many structures that link to Media endpoints throughout the API.

Journal

/data/wow/journal-instance/{id}

• Added the modes[].is_timewalking field indicating if the instance mode is a Timewalking mode.
  • Fixed an issue in which duplicate modes would appear.

Factions

/data/wow/reputation-faction/index

• Removed the “Owen Test” faction.

Quests

/data/wow/quest/{id}

• Fixed an issue in which some daily quests were incorrectly flagged.
  • Fixed an issue in which some quest descriptions were empty.
  • Fixed an issue in which some quests were not properly showing Cache rewards in rewards.items.items[].
  • Added an is_repeatable field indicating if a quest is infinitely repeatable at one single point in time.

Guild Roster

/data/wow/{realm-slug}/{guild-name}/roster

• Added a link out to each member’s Character Profile via members[].character.key.href.

Character Achievements Statistics

/profile/wow/character/{realm-slug}/{character-name}/achievements/statistics

• Renamed the statistics field to categories. This is a breaking change.
    • This change went out on 2020/03/24. Characters that log out after that date have the new categories field name; characters that logged out before that date will have the old statistics field name. All characters will have the categories field name moving forward.
    • We would like to apologize for making this change without notice or explanation. We did not mean to make this breaking change. Due to a miscommunication internally, the rename was applied during weekly maintenance the week of 2020/03/24.
  • Fixed a number of issues with statistics showing incorrect values, especially those tracked at the Account level (such as Battle Pets).
  • Fixed an issue causing descriptions to be missing.

If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know!

Cheers!

6 Likes

is there a time frame for these to become active? just tested my hunter ulminia on zangarmarsh and got a 403 for professions

I get the same for characters that have not yet logged in since the change is live - Logging out at Boralus (for my Alliance characters) immediately resolved the issue with the /professions endpoint.

Regarding professions and recipes, it looks like recipes are assigned IDs that do not match the old community APIs. Is there a way to map these new IDs to the old ones? Preferably, is there a possibility of including the recipe’s SpellID as part of the information returned when calling /data/wow/recipe/{id}?

My primary use case is that when players view their recipe collection, I want to be able to give them a link to wowhead so they can find more information. Wowhead seems to categorize their recipes by SpellID, and I cannot find anything that seems to match these new IDs. There is other data I need to map as well.

Along the same lines, it would be nice if mounts, titles, etc. could provide similar ID mappings when fetching detailed information about each. I saw another thread on the forum with the same feedback.

Thank you!

2 Likes

It’s fantastic that the profession and recipe data has been added now! Thanks!

But as Shoogen mentioned, it wouln’t hurt with the spell ID as well.

2 Likes

Yes as Shoogen said - need spellId etc. on these (as well as mounts, pets etc.) in order to make wowhead tooltips viable.

1 Like

Having issues with professions - are they locked behind character login or similar? Previously, it was useful to be able to be able to, for example, see which of your guild members were blacksmiths by checking professions. Ever since the API change a month ago, trying to get a character’s professions returns a 403 error code (while getting things such as base character info or reputations is working just fine).

Apparently, there’s no endpoint that returns the Pandaria cooking subcategories (e.g. way of the wok, way of the brew, etc.).

Did I miss something or is it just not implemented yet ?

2 Likes

Another possibility would be to see if Wowhead was amenable to adding URIs based on the mount, recipe, etc. id as well as spell id.

Ideally nobody would use spell IDs to refer to these things, since spells can change or there can be multiple spells for one item, but it is frustrating when your site is configured to use them. For Warcraft Mounts I just map one to the other in my own database, but I imagine that’s not a feasible option for sites that track many different types of data.

1 Like

All mounts have exactly one spell ID. All mount spells reference exactly one mount.

When you learn how to craft a Bolt of Linen Cloth, you’re learning how to cast spell 2963.

It’s good that we have mount IDs to reference data specific to mounts, and ability IDs which map to skill tiers which map to skills. But in-game when you mount up you’re casting a spell, you’re not employing a mount. When you craft a thing, you’re casting a spell, not reading a recipe.

And, of course, not all mounts have mount items, and not all recipes have pattern items. But they do all have unique spells.

2 Likes

Yea I think I’ll be mapping them in my own DB also, just involves some scraping and dumping from the in-game client. But if it’s easy to add to the endpoint then that would obviously be preferable devs! :pray:

Wowhead just now added support for mount and recipe IDs for their tooltips.

You can link to Brown Horse Bridle - Item - World of Warcraft and get to the page and tooltip for the Brown Horse mount, and you can link to Bolt of Linen Cloth - Spell - World of Warcraft for the page and tooltip for Bolt of Linen Cloth.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s awesome of them :slight_smile:

Is there any way to get the needed skill level for crafting a recipe?