What type of game dev should I be?

I understand this isn’t exactly accurate to the forum subject but it was the closest I could find. Basically I want to be a video game developer but I can’t figure out exactly what I want to do. I want to be the one who makes the activities in the games, introduce new ways of interaction, create progression systems, etc. Can anyone help?

Hi BumbleBee,

When it comes to engineering, I think what you are describing sounds most closely with what Gameplay Engineers work on. From a design standpoint, there are numerous roles which could work on those types of things. These positions are sometimes called Systems Designers or UX Designers. Additionally, specific games (such as WoW) might have the designers focus on specific areas of expertise (Quest Design, Raid Design, etc).

Hopefully this helps :).

It depends on what you’d like to do!

There are people who design dungeons, raids, zones (Content Devs), There are some that design the way things work in the game (System Designers), There are some that do research (User experience designers / UX Designers) that generally talk to players, or get their opinions about changes. There are some devs that do balance, and others that do back end support (server side stuff). There is also artists and sound engineers that are devs!

The best way to deal with this to think of the role “developer” (in a general sense) as a doctor, and there are many times of doctors :wink:

Going forward the best thing for you to do is start honing your craft. Practice every day. It is said through research that if you want to master a craft you need about 10,000 hours of work, so get busy!

1 Like