Unable to connect. Might have tried while VPN was active

I just reinstalled the game after several years of not playing. I might have been on my VPN when trying to connect initially. I’ve disabled it and it says Battle.net is not responding, please try again in a few minutes. Was I auto-banned for this mistake?

Can you confirm or deny? Can this be lifted? If I had known, I would have made sure to disable my VPN first. Thanks.

Attempting to play Diablo 2 on Battle.net with an active VPN will result in an automatic two-week restriction from accessing Battle.net through Diablo 2. The restriction for VPN usage is based on the public IP address you were on at the time the restriction was applied, so that means if you can change your public IP address, you can effectively bypass the restriction.

Here are a couple of common ways you can change your public IP address:
1: First google “what is my IP” and record the reported public IP address for reference. Reset your ISP modem, try a short 15 second power cycle first. Check your public IP again. If the IP did not change, try a 1 hour power cycle. If it still does not change, try an over-night power cycle. If it still does not change, then your ISP likely has an IP assigned to your modem.

2: Use another internet provider for the duration of the restriction, such as your cellular phones network via hotspot or tethering.

Always make sure that VPN is turned off before trying to connect to Battle.net through Diablo 2.
It’s also worth noting that trying to play Diablo 2 on Battle.net while connected through a business-class internet service will also result in a two-week restriction: At work, hotel, motel, coffee shop/restaurant, public wifi hotspot, etc.

These two week restrictions caused by VPN or business-class ISP usage will not be an issue with the upcoming Diablo 2:Resurrected game.

I hope this information helps.

1 Like