Stuck at Checking Versions

Cannot log into D2. I don’t know what happened. I was playing, I received a notice stating I was disconnected and my game has now been stuck at “checking versions” for 30 minutes. At first I thought it was my internet so I kept trying and now I am afraid that I was given a temp ban for switching characters too fast and only lengthened the ban by trying to get back into my account.

I tried to submit a ticket through support but it keeps telling me that I cannot right now and to try again later. It is super frustrating. I just want to know what is going on and how to fix it.

Nyrhockey094, a temporary restriction was applied on the 7th due to VPN usage, and will be lifted on the 21st. For more information on temporary restrictions, please review our forum post regarding temporary restrictions and our support article.

This is ridiculous. I have never used a VPN. I logged into hotel Wifi!!! My characters are all going to expire and that is really all I care about. Most of them aren’t even perm’d yet!

Also, as per the instructions in your support article I did acquire a new IP address and I was immediately kicked off and cannot access again!

Hey there,

Hotel wifi is not supported for Diablo 2 currently. Hotels can often use “business class” internet packages which are not allowed to connect to Battle.net. There may be other things that the hotel network does that a normal residential network doesn’t do, for example connecting through a proxy. Since you have no control over the hotel network though you wouldn’t really be able to tell how it’s set up.

If you’re traveling you may want to look into getting a mobile hotspot set up. Mobile data connections are allowed to connect to Battle.net so if you have something like that it shouldn’t give you any trouble when connecting.

I’m afraid we are not able to remove / shorten the restriction or perm the characters since we don’t have that kind of access.

Well, thank you for the response. It is just a bit frustrating to get a two week ban for something as simple as connecting to hotel wifi…

I’ll look into a mobile hotspot. Thanks.