Share access token between frontend and backend

Hello :slight_smile:

I am developing an application where I use the oauth2 blizzard to manage user authentication (because the application is reserved for wow players).

The stack was MySQL + Java Spring Boot + React.

I configured Spring Security to handle user login (redirect + endpoint protection). So I can get the user access token in the backen.
I’m doing some API calls with the backend to fetch data for the application logic.

But, I want to do some API calls on the frontend to display information etc … For that I want to share the user access token between the backend and the frontend.

It’s a good idea ? Or do I have to make all API calls with my backend ?

Thanks you very much

Dohakor

For security It is generally a bad idea to share any OAuth2 access_token with the front-end as it might get intercepted by 3rd parties.

Beside the security there are a few other things to consider:

1. Some endpoints (if not all of them) are protected by CORS and will just not work on most scenarios.
  2. You can’t properly handle the 36k req/hour limit from the client-side.
  3. The user access_token gives access to some user’s personal information, that raises some GDPR/privacy concerns.
  4. The API ToS specifically says you should never share your credentials. Since the token is created in the context of your application I assume it includes any token authorizing requests on its behalf.

Oh ok
And if i add the oauth2 workflow on the frontend ?
I have a redundancy yes, but i can get the user access token and the token of the application without call the backend of my application.

That is even worse, that way you’ll have to expose everything including your own client credentials to the front-end.

Oh :’(

have you any recommendation ?

You must handle all Blizzard API data on the server-side. Since you already have a server that should be easy to implement.

You can create simple endpoints just to proxy the data. I created this project to handle situations like this: https://gitlab.com/francisschiavo/blizzard-api-proxy

If you look at profile endpoints you’ll see the actual bnet token is mapped to another project specific token, that means the communication from the front-end to the back end will never leak a token that can used to access data directly from Blizzard, keeping the user token and your credentials safe.

ok ok :slight_smile:

Thanks you very much for your help !