Refund of game time for Bnet app going to sleep

Having tried everything from a fresh Win 11, reinstall, with my Bnet games being transferred from a external HDD, I still have the Battle.net Update Agent went to sleep. I have a gigabit line, I have done everything suggested on official and the more helpful unofficial websites, should I (and other like me who spend far more hours than Blizzard Activision realizes) be entitled to a return of our subscription fees?

Sincerely, the lack of tech support is amazing, whilst myself and others spend hours reinstalling everything at our expense.

This needs to change.

2 Likes

When did you start having this problem? My bnet stopped working this evening.

1 Like

This forum is for community based troubleshooting if you are looking to directly contact Blizzard Support then you should use the support button at the top of the page and then click on Contact Support.

We will come in and help where we can but the forums are setup for players to help each other.

As for the error you are seeing it means something on the system or network is preventing the update agent from being able to perform needed tasks on the Blizzard Desktop Application.

Network issues, client corruption, software conflicts etc are your typical culprits.

Please note we do not support the Blizzard app or game clients being installed on external drives. Doing so can result in performance issues, permission issues or corruption of the app/clients. Transferring them off the external would not fix these issues automatically as once damaged, they will remain damaged.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

Sometimes firewall or routing software/hardware will have some advanced settings to prioritize and manage types of network traffic. Normally that is not an issue but we have seen situations where it can interfere with the delivery of the data for our games/voice chat.

Let’s try turning off these features:

QoS
SIP ALG
RoG (ASUS Routers Only)
Security firewalls (Some ISP provided modems)

Not all devices will have these options and the steps for turning these functions off will be different depending on the make/model/software version of the devices and programs involved. If necessary look at the documentation for your security and routing products to find out how to turn these options off.

In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.

You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.

We need to not only remove all data relating to the Battle.net Desktop Application and affected game client, we need to ensure we have good permissions for reinstall.

1. Launch the Blizzard Desktop Application and select the tab for the game you need to ensure is uninstalled.
  2. Is there a settings button (gear symbol) next to the install/update/play button for the game? If yes, click it, then choose show in explorer.
  3. If there is no gear symbol, right click Windows Start, choose open explorer and navigate to where you would have originally installed the game. (typically under Program Files(x86))
  4. If the uninstall option is available use it and then manually delete any remaining folder/files for the game in file explorer. If there is no uninstall option, then manually delete the game folder if it exists.
  5. Leave the explorer window open but exit the Battle.net Desktop Application.
  6. In File Explorer, navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  7. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  8. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  9. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  10. Empty the recycle bin.
  11. Create a new administrator account: Creating a New Administrator Account - Blizzard Support
  12. Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile.
  13. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.
  14. Reinstall the game client.

Now if the issue persists beyond that, then I recommend submitting a support ticket. Click the support button at the top of this page, then click contact support. Make sure to include the requested system files as the agents will need those to investigate this further for you.

PS. Wait times are currently higher than normal as we move into prepatch and launch for Wrath of the Lich King Classic.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.