Received dubious SMS from Blizzard

First of all, I’m not sure if this issue fits here, but since I did not manage to find any account related discussion threads, I thought it’s best to post here, I apologise in advance if it’s not the case.

Today at around 00:10 GMT+2 I received an SMS stating the following:
"Your account has been locked. Visit account Management to unlock it.

-Blizzard Entertainment

I was sleeping ofc I only saw the message when I got up, and then I saw that I received a mail as well, from Blizzard at 00:07 GMT+2.

This e-mail was titled “Help us keep your Blizzard Account safe with a security check”, and in the body it was detailing about a “recent login attempt with my blizz account”.

From what I gather, I should think that somebody around that time was trying to access my Blizzard account, and it got locked.

But when I logged in recently, there everything seems to be fine, and the security log only detailed my login (not attempts).

So my question is, does your account automatically unlock when you successfully log in? Is my account safe now? Is there any way to find out who or from where my account was attempted? last but not least is this a legit blizzard procedure?

Thank you

2 Likes

Same thing happened to me about half an hour ago. Everything seems fine at the moment.

I’ve been receiving that same SMS almost monthly for at least 6+ months now… even after changing my pw multiple times. I don’t receive any email about failed login attemps either…

It sounds like a scam to me. If you’re tech savvy enough, or know someone who is, I would suggest searching through the internet headers of the email you received, locating the Sender IP and looking it up to see if it’s legit or not. Or, just reporting it to Blizzard and they can do some research on their end.

it’s not a scam (sorry for necro, first post).

It comes from the same number as my verification SMS and there is no link to click. A spammer always has a link. I manually logged into my account and seems fine, but because was my first battle net purchase ever today, it threw me off and my search led me here. There is no way that I could possibly receive a scam message like that the very second I installed battlenet on my PC for the first time and bought a game.

Same thing happened to me today.
I actually logged in from a new browser at night, and then I got the “new login” e-mail (which is understandable) and the “your account has been locked” SMS (which makes no sense, since the account seems alright)