Random 500 and SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL errors from api

Hey There,

I am looking for some help with a couple of issues when accessing the endpoints?

I am using Schiller’s 8.1 PHP library to download WOW item and profession end points. Everything works fine apart from two errors:

The first and most common error is curl reporting error code 35 OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to eu.api.blizzard port 443, and happens randomly. I also notice the connection will wait for around 20 to 30 seconds.

When I re-try the call, the error does not repeat.

The second one is very occasionally, I have a 500 error and with a couple of re-tries the call will be successful.

The server error isn’t too much of a pain to deal with, but the other is, as it happens quite a lot. I have looked around the web, but there does not seem to be any results to fix this issue.

curl is configured with the latest cacert.pem file from curls website, and I have also tried using Firefox’s too.

My system setup is
PHP 8.1.5
Apache 2.4 (for another project)

Any help will be much appreciated.


1 Like

Those errors unfortunately are very common lately with the API. When I update https://wow-query.dev I download all API static data and I always end up with thousands of those errors. The best you can do is set a retry for those.

My guess is those errors are caused by peaks of high volume of API requests or some other balancing problems on Blizzard end.

In addition to the errors you described I sometimes get a broken pipe while receiving a large response (rendering the payload incomplete) and also some 200 OK responses with the plain text body “Downstream error”.

1 Like

Thank you for the information, Schiller. It was starting to drive me around the bend, as I wasn’t sure if it was to do with me or them.