OW and battle.net getting disconnected but nothing else

I have been having issues with overwatch for a couple of months where I keep getting disconnected it started around the time the first beta began, and I can’t figure out why it is happening.

it only occurs on battle.net related games so I know there is an issue somehow with connecting to the blizzard servers but I can’t figure out what.

I use ethernet and tested for any packet loss when the issue occurred on my IP address but found that nothing had occurred. I also tried a bunch of the easier things that I saw online, like flushing and renewing my DNS and stuff and that didn’t fix it. There is no set interval for when the crash happens. sometimes its within a minute of opening the game while other times it can happen after 5 matches. I noticed when it happens the battle.net launcher itself also appears to get disconnected and then reconnects. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling battle.net and OW to see if either of those fixed the issue but nope. One last note is that sometimes I’m still in the game and am instantly able to reconnect, while other times it logs me out of OW forcing me to relog back in.

1 Like

I have this issue and have noticed the same. OW was fine until the BETA installed itself behind the scenes.
There’s no set time but after a few games I just get disconnected and can’t sit through a game without it.
It’s actually infuriating and i’ve reinstalled, restarted router etc.

Disconnections that affect both a game and the Blizzard Desktop Application itself typically mean that either there is a network/connection issue or that there is something on the system corrupting/interfering with the data for both applications.

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

Sometimes firewall or routing software/hardware will have some advanced settings to prioritize and manage types of network traffic. Normally that is not an issue but we have seen situations where it can interfere with the delivery of the data for our games/voice chat.

Let’s try turning off these features:

QoS
SIP ALG
RoG (ASUS Routers Only)
Security firewalls (Some ISP provided modems)

Not all devices will have these options and the steps for turning these functions off will be different depending on the make/model/software version of the devices and programs involved. If necessary look at the documentation for your security and routing products to find out how to turn these options off.

In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.

You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.

Let’s manually clear the Battlenet Desktop Application and all supporting data from the system. This will not remove existing game clients.

1. Open file explorer/file manager (Right Click Windows Start)
  2. Navigate to the folder where the desktop application would normally be installed. Delete that folder if it exists (usually program files x86)
  3. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA% and press enter.
  4. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with %PROGRAMDATA% %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
  6. Empty the recycle bin.
  7. Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive.

Try running your system in selective startup mode: https://battle.net/support/article/200483

Create a new administrator account: Creating a New Administrator Account - Blizzard Support

Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile and try the app/client.

That should cover most issues but if the troubles persist then getting some good connection data can help dig into this further.

WinMTR: Running WinMTR - Blizzard Support

Its best to run this test while playing and while encountering the issue. Each test should be about 10 minutes long so if this is something that takes a while to replicate the best course of action is to run the test in the background while playing, stop and restarting every 10 minutes or so until the issue happens, then save that data for analysis.

Okay so after some more testing what I have learned is the issue didn’t occur when testing on a ps4 using the same modem. the issue also never occurred when I tried testing the game with a VPN on. I also did all the refreshing and reinstalling of OW and the battle.net client. so it seems like it is something to do with how the message gets sent to the router which is why the VPN seems to help it out but even when the router/modem were restarted it didn’t seem to fix anything. I also did the win mtr test and have those results but idk how to best send them.

So if the issue isn’t happening on other platforms and a VPN helped then it is definitely a routing issue as those two things would indeed change your routing.

However the issue may not be your modem/router and could in fact be the ISP since they typically control your routing to each service unless you use a vpn.

You can contact them to discuss the issue further but they may not be able/willing to make the needed changes unless they receive a significant number of reports.

In the meantime you can continue to use the VPN if it helps. Just note that if you play Diablo II: 2000 VPNs are restricted and will cause you to be temporarily blocked from connecting to the classic battle.net service Diablo II: 2000 uses. (Outside of that VPNs are not supported but not restricted)

yeah thank you for your help, I will see if they can help me out at all. so I don’t have to use a VPN to play because I don’t like doing it but since it is really the only way I can play the game consistently I’m forced to.

Scrublord, I have had the same issue which started about the exact same time. Would you happen to have Spectrum in the DFW Area? As you, i tried most of the common trouble shooting steps. I may try the VPN route as well or perhaps the DNS suggestion, as that is about the only thing left to try, I know of.

This happens to me with my ISP. Every 15 minutes or so I’ll get kicked and have to reconnect. Get a VPN and it’ll stop. Or at least thats what worked for me. When I have it turned on I only get DCed if my internet really goes out. I used PIA for mine

I have spectrum but not in the DFW Area. so it is possible spectrum is just really bad when it comes to OW for some reason.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.