New SMS Authenticator Rules = I want a full refund

I’ve been a long-term player and purchaser of Blizzard content.

I also use a pre-paid phone service that has been reliable in my personal life, Cricket Wireless.

Recently made aware of the authenticator changes with Overwatch 2, Blizzard is requiring newer games to authenticate with expensive post-paid phone services for the mobile authenticator.

If that is the case, where I may be potentially locked out of all of my games if & when an authenticator is required, I won’t be playing any Blizzard games I previously own or supporting future content.

I would like a refund for all blizzard games & content purchased for fear I will be forever locked out of my content and I would like my account deleted after refund. I’m not changing my cell phone service.

Games I own include:
World of Warcraft (Plus expansions purchased)
World of Warcraft - Cash Shop Items
Diablo II: Resurrected
Diablo III (Plus expansion purchased)
Diablo: Immortal (Cash Shop Items purchased)
Hearthstone (All Cash Shop Items purchased)
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

If I’m going to be potentially locked out of all my games due to this ridiculous authenticator policy, I want my money back. I’m not switching cell phone carriers. I want a full refund of everything I have purchased and my Blizzard account deleted. Thank you.

20 Likes

Same issue, I use Cricket Wireless and can not add my phone number, and cannot play Overwatch 2, even thought I have paid for it. Extremely disappointing and classist.

7 Likes

im on Cricket Wireless non prepaid and i have no issues using an authenticator

2 Likes

I’m on a monthly plan, so I am not pre-paid either. It doesn’t work, and I’m not the only one. Blizzard support goes as far as to say they openly do not support these phone services even if you are subscribed monthly and not month-to-month.

2 Likes

We use Metro-pcs have had same number for 8 years. We can’t use either. Already preordered MW2 would like to know how this refund is going work as well. No way I am changing phone companies. Just link the damn game to me and my kids xbox accounts.

1 Like

How is that possible? Cricket Wireless is exclusively prepaid. How did you get a non prepaid phone with them? and why is yours working for authentication?

1 Like

I understand you 100% this is rediculus. But it’s not news that Blizzard have no ****** idea in what they are doing. They are complete morons tbh.

4 Likes

Im not playing this game until blizzard realizes they dont need my number, because they really dont.

5 Likes

I agree man Cricket Wireless has been a game changer for me, I have seen no difference in the reliability of service between them or a carrier like Verizon, having a family plan for 4 people at Cricket Wireless I can vouch for them they can hang with the big boys for a reasonable price for the family. I have rarely had any negative issue, they only thing I noticed years ago was some coverage drop in mountainy hilly regions but since then the coverage has only expanded and gotten infinitely better.

Anyway, this is Bullcrap trying to be forced to switch from a Legitimate phone service like Cricket Wireless to some other service because Blizzard won’t support them.

I’m also a VERY LONG TERM CUSTOMER, the very first purchase of Blizzard merchandise I still own and can play without SMS verification is back in the 90’s with The Lost Vikings on the Sega Genesis, I can still pop that bad boy in there and Olafs shield still functions just as good 30 years later.

I have all the Diablo games (except immortal… for obvious reasons) And yes Blizz I have a phone… its just on Cricket Wireless ##

I would agree man I am kind of fearful one day I’m feeling the nostalgia and go in there to pop on the SEGA Genesis to play some Lost Vikings… only to be met with a screen after it says SEGA saying SMS Verification required… I’m sorry your family plan from Cricket Wireless is not accepted as we have segregated you as being … Pre-Paid…

3 Likes

Yeah, this is dumb. I love playing overwatch and now I won’t be able to because oops, I have Cricket. Not only did they make overwatch 2 locked behind sms, they remove the original overwatch from the store. This is unfair, I paid like everyone else and they decided to remove a game I paid for and then tell me to get an expensive mobile plan. I would like a refund on both my pc account and on my playstation since I got it on both and wont be able to play them anymore.

1 Like

I’m sorry to say my dude, i understand your frustrations. However, this sms protect, as of now, is only for overwatch 2. You seem to not have bought that. All of the things you have purchased are things you bought and have enjoyed, possibly for years, these have absolutely nothing to do with it. You’re way out of your mind if you think blizzard is gonna refund all your years of PLAYING their games. You bought those games, you bought those wow expansions, you played them, and you still can. At best you could’ve probably gotten a refund if you’d bought the overwatch 2 pre purchase, but you didn’t, you’re not gonna get refunds for stuff you bought and actively enjoyed for years, thats not how this works. .

Again, the frustrations about sms protect are completely valid and understandable, however, don’t even begin to hope for refunds here, that’s simply never happening

I think he was trying to make a valid point at the possible near future of what Blizzard will look like if they continue down this path. Just for instance it may just be SMS for OW2 for now, but very quickly they could move to implement it on every Blizzard game. So while right now if you are still playing Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne maybe your safe, but tomorrow you wake up and can’t log into it anymore due to the SMS roadblock. I mean they literally deleted OW 1 as evidence enough for you that could literally become a soon reality.

I wonder if you will be able to access the PvE Overwatch 2 content in the current state of SMS or would you be locked out of that too.

1 Like

So, apparently this is a new thing they are gonna start doin with all of their games. I am not 100% sure so plz don’t quote me but, I’ve heard of some people being unable to play the modern warfare beta from battle.net because of the same issue with sms.

So, imagine you buy WOW dragonflight, and midway through the expansion they lock wow behind SMS protect, i’d absolutely demand a refund for WOW dragonflight, and possibly whatever in game purchases you may have done during wow dragonflight, and the gametime you still have remaining. Absolutely that makes sense, and while i have sms protect so for ME it’s not an issue, i can imagine that the prospect of this happening to someone and being locked out of their favourite? game because of that, is actually really infurating and scary.

I find it completely reasonable to ask for refunds if you’re suddenly locked out of the current content that you payed for. However, imagine if you’ve played wow since cataclysm like me, it’s extremely unreasonable to ask a refund for:

WoW base pack
WOW cataclysm
WOW MOP
WOW WOD
WOW legion
WOW BFA
AND WOW SHADOWLANDS. When you have had the ability to play all that time.

Same for diablo 3, you’d have had years and years of playing that game, at that point you’ve definitely gotten your money’s worth and shouldn’t be given a refund.

It’s about being “reasonable” with what you ask a refund for really

If you spend a thousand bucks on card packs since hearthstone launched, and you’ve played that game since its launch, are you suddenly warranted a 1000 dollar refund? I honestly don’t think so.

Now if i buy 100 bucks of cardpacks today and get locked out by sms protect tomorrow, absolutely i’ll demand my money back

This is the worst part of it, as far as I’m concerned. There are people locked out of their OW1 content because of a series of bad decision making made by blizzard. It is beyond immoral.

1 Like

agreed! game needs a roll back to OW1
we’re hear to be heard!- Lucio

Lordvader,

Please stop the Overwatch spam. Neither this thread nor your post is a bug. Nor is it an API issue, nor is it a support site feedback issue. Continuing to spam and bump old threads only puts your posting privileges at risk.

If you wish to give constructive feedback about a game, use the appropriate forum to leave actionable feedback. Feedback like “OW2 sucks big time” and “everyone hates OW2” is useless to those who could change anything for the better.

Having said that, there’s virtually no chance Blizzard will ever dump Overwatch 2 just to rollback to 1. That’s not a rational request, on any level.

2 Likes